Motor Trend says ATS-V to get 425 hp TTV6 - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Like Tree16Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, Motor Trend says ATS-V to get 425 hp TTV6 in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by Koooop It's confirmed, all you cadillacowners that have an LS2 have a truck motor! ---------- I'm heading ...
    Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Motor Trend says ATS-V to get 425 hp TTV6

Quote Originally Posted by Koooop View Post
    It's confirmed, all you cadillacowners that have an LS2 have a truck motor!

----------

I'm heading to Fontana today, I will be sure to let the Corvette guys know that all those new Corvettes we will be flogging have a truck motor in them.

LOL
    And thanks for updating your garage:

Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

The Alpha platform also will be used in the Buick Regal/GNX, and the Chevy SS when production is moved out of Australia next year.
    exbagboy likes this.

roadpie4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3

Quote Originally Posted by Koooop View Post
    It's confirmed, all you cadillacowners that have an LS2 have a truck motor!
    I can't tell if you're just sarcastic, think I'm out of my mind, think I'm an idiot, or what (being the internet and emotion and connotation doesn't pass through on text on a forum), but I'm not totally out of my mind on this one, just slightly!

According to the guys I worked with that were on the GenIII program during its development cycle - the program was financially justified & billed because of truck sales. That was the first I'd heard of it and always found that while it made a good deal of sense (keeping cost down and offering a lot of volume advantages) it could be suspect. Despite the fact that the Corvette and a Truck have the exact same desires from an engine - as small as possible, cheap as possible, simple as possible, powerful as possible, fuel efficient as possible, and make it fit inside the car & pass emissions. Tweak some of the exact numbers, but the goals are the same. I questioned it, but they were good guys and explained why it was that way.

Years later I got the chance to meet Dave Hill at an SAE event that was relatively small and a few of us got to relax with him afterward over a beer and pick his brain, so I brought up the idea that the GenIII had been billed by GM as a truck engine and adapted to the C5 and wanted his two cents on it - he laughed, agreed, and said something to the effect of "yeah in a way I guess that's true". His counter was (paraphrased) "well that 'truck engine' put into a Corvette makes a car that can beat porsches and ferraris on a track - we build better truck engines than their bespoke engines".

So it always stuck with me and always explains why GM keeps with OHV. It's not like GM's engineers are that much smarter or more creative than anyone else - but didn't you ever stop to wonder why GM was the only one that was sticking an OHV engine into a sportscar, even as everyone else was going over head cam with their V8s?

Lets also not forget that the V10 in the Viper also started out as a lowly truck engine.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by roadpie4u View Post
    I can't tell if you're just sarcastic, think I'm out of my mind, an idiot, or what
    Look at Koooops automobile(s) next to his avatar for the answer (assuming he hasn't changed it by then).

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
    I learned something today... Apparently there is room for moar cylinders under the hood of the ATS.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

I can't tell if you're just sarcastic, think I'm out of my mind, think I'm an idiot, or what (being the internet and emotion and connotation doesn't pass through on text on a forum), but I'm not totally out of my mind on this one, just slightly!
    It's an old 1st gen CTS-V thing. As you know, originally they came with an LS6 which was intended for the C5 Z, then they later switched to the LS2, and people poked fun of owners because TRUCK MOTAR

caddy_ats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS

I like the CTS V over an ATS V, but I think it will be a sweet car!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.