4.5 V8TT engine - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, 4.5 V8TT engine in Cadillac V-Series Forums; All new cars that had piss poor marketing. Did Chevy advertise the Camaro SS? How about the SSR? I recall ...
    1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    All new cars that had piss poor marketing. Did Chevy advertise the Camaro SS? How about the SSR? I recall 1 preproduction commercial with it fish tailing onto a car loader. And you bet your ass the z28 and trans am (I think you meant to compare the SS and firehawk low volume sales) stole sales from the Vette. GM advertised it as a different hp rating but an Ls1 is an ls1. The hp hike on the firehawk and ss due to ram air was just complete bs they all dyno the same. They underrated it to avoid pirating Vette sales which were a mere $20-25k more than the fbody.

roadpie4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3

Re: 4.5 V8TT engine

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    All new cars that had piss poor marketing. Did Chevy advertise the Camaro SS? How about the SSR?
    GM's advertising has been a giant fit for a decade. Everyone remember the "little brother" commercials between the Corvette and the Cobalt SS? I remember on the Camaro forums we were all hoping those would last another year or two till the 5th gen Camaro came out - you'd have the "respectable older brother", "the kid brother", and the "burnout donut delinquint brother". Where did that series go? Some consumer groups felt it was telling kids to bump and rear end other cars, and demanded Chevy pull them.

Or what about the little girl and boy in their seats that suddenly were driving vettes through city streets and then both flying over a hill in opposite directions high fived each other? Also pulled for apprently "teaching kids to drive too fast".

Rubbish. When I was a 10 year old boy I imagined doing stuff WAY more dangerous and awesome than that. Those commercials were tame by comparison - but they stirred that sense of youthful fun and imagination, and for that they were great.

Now it should also be said those same consumer groups also don't scream and yell about the lexus commercials when they fly through parking garages and such backwards. Not to say a lot of the people making those complaints are biased consumer reports reading thickheads with an axe to grind ... but they sorta are.
    And you bet your ass the z28 and trans am (I think you meant to compare the SS and firehawk low volume sales) stole sales from the Vette
    With the Camaro on its deathbed from 2000-2002, I'm sorta glad it got every last sale it could before it died. Truth be told, to this day Camaro still steals some potential Vette sales - but that's planned overlap. There's a branch within GM that has (for decades) tried to remedy this by pushing the Corvette farther and farther up the price point into more exotic territory - where variants like the Z06 and ZR1 have spawned from - in order to eliminate this gap - and while I would love to see where they'd take Corvette in doing so, I still sorta like where it is.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    We might disagree about some things on this forum, but Cadillac, please make the ATS-V a car that car guys can love; an insect-sounding engine is not the answer, no matter that the German 6's sound like bumble bees. Car guys should have a choice and shouldn't be relegated to European-designed crap. Don't screw up this opportunity.

Jud
    Jud

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Maybe they can pipe in prerecorded V8 sound into the V6TT.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul
    Maybe they can pipe in prerecorded V8 sound into the V6TT.
    But then we'd be inundated with all those former M5 V10 owners in Cadillac customer lounges.

Jud
    Jud

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    [/COLOR]I noticed that on Leftlanecarnews yesterday they said the new M4 will only be available with a DCT, no manual. That would be a mistake on BMW's part. Just when the ATS-V will get a manual.
    They may only come in DCT form over in Europe, but to say that the M3/M4 will not be sold anywhere (ie MERICA) without a Manual is 100% false.

some of the earliest spy photos of the F80 and F82 are with manual transmissions. Leftlane is quoting an autoblog post that's just plain wrong.

BMW disenfranchised a lot of loyalists changing the 3 coupe to the 4 series, and it just doesn't roll off the tongue the same. Still, the manual transmission is more a relic than ever - they used to be more fuel efficient and faster than an automatic transmission car - but now that is the opposite and the auto sips better and is usually faster (sometimes by a lot). Beyond that they have the advantage of torque management and generally better control of engine power/delivery - especially in high speed response applications like stability control events.

Though, it should be said Porsche also ditched the clutch pedal for their latest and greatest as well. It's incredible how far the "purists" must go for that "old fashioned" clutch. Personally, I acknowledged that the M6 would suck more gas than the A6. It'd be harder to deal with in snow. It might be harder to sell or trade in. And maybe it'd even be slower. But I didn't rightly care because it's just more fun.

That and I love how many people are shocked it's a Cadillac.... with a manual transmission.
    Automatics being as 'good' as a manual isn't strictly a recent development. The 700R4 in my C4 was acutally better than the crappy doug nash 4+3 used in the Platform prior, and 'on par with' the ZF 6 speed in terms of acceleration and fuel economy in the face-life models, and that was 30 years ago.

The decline of the manual transmission has more to do with the proliferation of the way our culture is evolving in my opinion. Our interstate and public road infrastructure is spiraling between rapid decay and over-use, and we're certainly not making fewer babies than we were 30 years ago. A car has a significantly diminished meaning compared to the 'golden' years, whatever those are. Gas and insurance are expensive, new cars themselves are expensive (ask GM why 'millennials' aren't buying their compacts) and kids coming out of college these days have a 30 year mortgage worth of student loans to pay off.

Put all of this together and it's easy to see why the average age of a car on the roadway is 10+ years old.

So then, who buys new cars? middle aged+ people, and those people have had their 'manual trans' fun days. At this point they just want something they can get in and go. The fact that DCT's and autos are advertised as efficient and fast transmissions is even more reason to ditch a suck-ass manual with 30 minutes of stop and go every work day and might even hurt resale.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Has BMW ever made a decent sounding engine? I have yet to hear one. That V10 sounded like a sewing machine.

Either you want to drive or be a passenger, that's what it comes down to. A lot of us don't drag race $70,000 super sedans, so why is the DCT transmission of any interest in that category of cars?

Jud
    Jud

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Has BMW ever made a decent sounding engine? I have yet to hear one. That V10 sounded like a sewing machine.
    *imaginary pimp slap*

S65, S62, S54 just off the top of my head.

the S85 sucked with an OE exhaust in P400 mode, yes. Aftermarket stuff fixes that .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rkycwRkusA

You're welcome.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I am not a BMW prophet. I have no idea what any of those codes means. I have heard many M* engines, stock exhaust and otherwise. They all sound like espresso makers. But none as bad as the V10 M5. It sounds like it's always getting ready to asplode.
    mikesul likes this.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    V10's, in general, don't produce the most pleasing exhaust notes.

ATSFL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T base
    definitely have to chime in and strongly disagree with someone stating BMW hasn't made a good sounding engine.

the only M engine i'm not the biggest fan of is the S14. i love all the others, even the bastardized s50/s52 sounded great.

it must be me, but i can't believe someone doesn't like the v10! sure at idle it's a bit mechanical sounding, but any throttle on load and it is like the old v10 f1 cars.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I am not a BMW prophet. I have no idea what any of those codes means. I have heard many M* engines, stock exhaust and otherwise. They all sound like espresso makers. But none as bad as the V10 M5. It sounds like it's always getting ready to asplode.
    S85 is the V10 that yes, sounds like a diesel.

the S65 is the V8 powering the E90/E92 (''previous'' gen M3)
    The S62 is the V8 powering the E39( 01-03 M5)
    the S54 is the I6 powering the E46.

ATSFL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T base

S85 sounds like a diesel?? maaaaaybe at cold start idle with stock exhaust, there's just a lot of lifter noise.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post

Wait....is this a Zaino Application "How to..." thread?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.