Cadillac Owners Forum banner

ATS-V Spied

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  mikesul 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I guess if there was any question that Cadillac was benchmarking the BMW M3, this sort of resolves any lingering doubt.

The drivers are probably swapping cars back and forth while filling out objective and subjective questionnaires comparing the vehicles.

I just hope they adjust their data for the future M3.

#8 ·
rand49er said:
The saving grace in it having the LF3 is that it should be relatively easy to increase max boost. Whether the PCM can be "tampered with" is another question.
Why think about tampering with an engine you haven't even experienced? GM has really great engineers. But maybe you can afford to boost it until it explodes. Why not focus on an engine that has better performance, is less stressed and has better longevity?

Jud

#9 ·
Even if the new ATS-V comes with an LT-1, I'd be looking for an FI kit, preferably a supercharger.

Whether having the LF3 turbos modified for more boost or adding a supercharger to an NA motor, having it tuned (i.e. "tampered with") is mandatory to accommodate the change.

#10 · (Edited)
I'm betting aftermarket for the LT1 is going to be somewhat limited for a very long time. I will be shocked if we have the 'sneeze on it to make another 100whp' like with LS in an LT without additional aftermarket port injection. The LS will likely go down as the pinical of a reliable, modifyable and portable engine.

D/I is a completly different beast versus regular F/I.

There are no aftermarket manufacturers for the injectors for example. Thus you have to rely on your OEM supplier to happen to make a bigger injector for another car.

I would also be very curious as to what GM has done to resolve carbon-buildup(additional port injection seems to be the only resolution), and the failure rate on it's previous DoD attempts . Also don't forget the new ECU's may be a challange to crack.

Why think about tampering with an engine you haven't even experienced? GM has really great engineers. But maybe you can afford to boost it until it explodes. Why not focus on an engine that has better performance, is less stressed and has better longevity?

Jud
I myself prefer to 'modify' my cars because I find pleasure in working on them. Some people just want a faster car. Ask anyone with a 800whp CTS-V why and they'll likely simply say 'because racecar'

#12 · (Edited)
DI injectors are certainly different than the port injection injectors (operate at much higher pressures, etc), but I guess it depends on how much head room they leave us in the duty cycle. If it's close to its limits, then you're right we're not going to get much more power out of the motor.

If they (somehow) produce a gob of LT1s, then the aftermarket will sooner or later come to our rescue with bigger injectors. Probably gonna be an arm and leg, though
Maybe, what I can say is there are groups of engines that share common injector sizes that are as large as the Small Block Chevrolet. Namely the VAG 2.0TSI/TFSI and 3.0TSFI

There are no aftermarket solutions. The multi-million dollar machinery required to just modify the HPFP's is operated by just 2 vendors infact. APR and some other brand I can't think of.

It's not simply about duty cycles. They're much more complex and tightly engineered pieces of hardware. Tolerances are measured so finitely that handling the components by hand (in the case of the HPFP) may damage them.

I'm not saying that the day the LT1 lands there won't be people sucessfully squeezing another 100Hp out of them, there are plenty of high HP 2.0TFSI engines out there that use a combination of Meth and E85, but it's going to be much more difficult and much more expensive, and there will be technicall and mechanical challanges that are out of the scope of a lot of vendors.

#15 ·
Just look at the power Pfadt is already getting from the 2.0T. You can expect others to get into this engine also. I am getting a stage 2 turbo upgrade installed right now at Redline Motorsports, along with an E85 flex fuel conversion. Hope to have some dyno numbers to post on ATS tech section first of next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.