Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2014 CTS - 420hp TT V6

19K views 89 replies 23 participants last post by  M5eater 
#1 ·
If the base model gets 420hp then I would expect the ATS-V to have more!!! Should be interesting.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/18/cadillac-confirms-420-hp-twin-turbo-v6-for-2014-cts-w-videos/

"The 2014 CTS will break cover next week at the New York Auto Show, but Cadillac has released a few details of what we can expect to find under the car's hood. As we saw in some spy shots back in January, the biggest news for the midsize Caddy will be a twin-turbocharged V6 producing a whopping 420 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque.

This LF3 engine will be paired to a new eight-speed automatic transmission, which will help balance performance and fuel economy. We still don't know how much the 2014 CTS has grown in terms of size and weight, but General Motors says that new sedan will return 17 miles per gallon in the city and 25 mpg highway with the new engine to go with a 0-60 mile per hour time of 4.6 seconds – that means the new CTS will have the fuel economy close to the current base model sedan and acceleration not too far from the current CTS-V. General Motors also confirmed that this twin-turbo V6 will be available in the 2014 XTS this fall."

#2 ·
Wow, thanks Jason for that bit of intelligence.

Okay, how does this sound?

This TTV6 goes in the CTS (some sport version) and it goes in the new down-size Corvette that's being talked about (a chick car) AND they put the LT1 in the ATS-V.

Sound good?

#3 · (Edited)
LT1 would be nice but a 450hp TT V6 would be interesting! Especially with the ATS being so light.

8 speed transmission too.

"General Motors Co. said Monday it will offer a twin-turbo V-6 engine and eight-speed transmission — both firsts for the automaker — in its all-new 2014 Cadillac CTS which will be available this fall.

The new engine can achieve 420 horsepower and 430 foot-pounds of torque, and has been certified as having the highest output in a V-6 engine in General Motors' history, said Richard Bartlett, assistant chief engineer for the engine."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130318/AUTO0103/303180404#ixzz2NumNqyMA

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...er-upgrade?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

#4 ·
Huge news for upcoming ATS-V. We were all bitching just last week on here that the TTV6 was rumored to be making 380HP and how horrible/uncompetitive/eetc etc this was. Well well well, look at how Cadillac stuck a stick in that lil balloon. 420hp for CTS. Even if it's the EXACT same motor, 420hp in ATS-V is really competitive, tho I'm thinking GM will bring it to the ATS-V with 430 or 440 just to give it that much more specialness -- think about how they spaced out the HP numbers between ZR1, ZL1 and CTS-V for the 6.2

----------

Huge news for upcoming ATS-V. We were all bitching just last week on here that the TTV6 was rumored to be making 380HP and how horrible/uncompetitive/eetc etc this was. Well well well, look at how Cadillac stuck a stick in that lil balloon. 420hp for CTS. Even if it's the EXACT same motor, 420hp in ATS-V is really competitive, tho I'm thinking GM will bring it to the ATS-V with 430 or 440 just to give it that much more specialness -- think about how they spaced out the HP numbers between ZR1, ZL1 and CTS-V for the 6.2

#5 ·
Read through all the stuff on GMINSIDENEWS, and the motor is a whole new engine! It's NOT just a 3.6 with two turbos bolted to it. Cast aluminum oil pan, forged crank, huge valves, completely different block, 10.2:1 CR, sodium-filled exhaust valve stems, etc. The distance from the turbo to the intake valves is incredibly short, too, meaning almost NO lag.

Could they also turn up the wick a bit to, say, 450 hp and put that in the ATS-V? Just want to be sure there's some distance between it and its competition.

Sure does stir the ol' blood.

#8 ·
Hey, just had a thought. If this motor is also going in the ATS-V, why wasn't that included? I mean, they said the CTS and the XTS. If it was also going in another model (i.e. ATS-V), why wouldn't that have been included, too? Makes me think it might not ... OR ... GM is playing it tight to the vest on this and has another point in time in mind to make the ATS-V announcement with this motor in it. But, why?

#10 ·
My guess would be they are just not ready to announce anything about an ATS-V yet. ...
I agree this is the leading theory, but I'm unsure of their strategy. It's like, if it is going into the ATS-V, when it's announced, everyone is going to yawn. I'm just not sure GM would do that. Gotta be more to it.

#14 ·
I should have stated I was referencing the 2011 and 2012 M3 based on this website:

http://www.zeroto60times.com/BMW-Bimmer-0-60-mph-Times.html

They both show around 4.4 seconds, surprised the 2013 is slower. It shows there the 2011 335i is 4.7. 4.8 would also probably put you over 13 seconds in the quarter, seems pretty slow for a performance based car.

These results are based on different magazines so this may also be why the numbers are different.

#18 · (Edited)
'think about how they spaced out the HP numbers between ZR1, ZL1 and CTS-V for the 6.2'

I am astounded like everyone else with these numbers... But you do realize that the TTV6, even though it sounds really potent and capable, is not considered a performance engine. If anything the LF3 will be in the CTS and XTS AWD Platinum trims. Those three cars you mentioned are the top of the line for their models. This is my logic for the Alpha chassis performance cars and the vehicle from Bowling Green:

ATS-V: Tuned LT1.
CTS-V3/ZL1-2: F/I LT1 with modest boost/tune.
ZR1-2: F/I LT1 with agressive boost/tune

This post has been deleted
#24 ·
I bet it is going to be this exact same motor with the same HP and torque. Still, i think we are looking at about a 4 second 0-60 time in the lighter ATS
I completely agree...I see them bumping the motor 20hp at the most. The weight difference alone is a performance jump over the base CTS.

"A 2014 Cadillac ATS-V with the twin turbo engine would not gain much front end weight over the current car with its top engine, the normally breathing 3.6 liter V6. The car would jump from about 320 horsepower up to about 420. With its approximately 3700 curb weight this rear-drive car would be one of GM’s fastest vehicles - ever. Only the Camaro ZL 1, the Corvette, and maybe the CTS-V would have a better power to weight ratio. Our own Patrick Rall wrote that the CTS with this engine would likely have a 0-60 mph time of about 4.6 seconds. That it very fast. However, an ATS-V with the same engine would be a car that could reach 60 in under 4 seconds.The technical term for that is “Stupid fast.” There would only be 3 single cars in the GM line-up that could compete with it."

http://www.torquenews.com/1083/cadillac-readies-powerful-new-2014-ats-v-twin-turbo-engine

#26 · (Edited)
mikesul said:
I would like to see mileage comparisons between a TTV6 vs a well tuned small block V8. With an eight speed trans geared for each motor I wouldn't expect too much difference. Also the V8 should be less costly to build.
And an LSx naturally aspirated V8 would be less complex, would sound better and might take up less space in the engine bay. Americans need to stick with what works; adjust engine mix in other models to play with mind-numbing CAFE. Too much talk about an automatic transmission, what about a manual?

Jud

#30 ·
I agree, the car should sound mean. But it's still a cadillac and as such cabin noise will be muted. The angry insect may not be a bad thing to the designers.
----------

No one cares about manuals anymore. Even the car rags prefer autos.

Some say this the golden age of automotive performance. Its looking like the dark ages to me. Stupid fast and fun to drive are two very different things.
I agree. Screw the rags. I think the ATS-V will almost certainly have a manual option

#32 · (Edited)
mikesul said:
With ATS sales so strong right now, this wouldn't be the time for GM to announce a faster ATS. Let sales start to drop off naturally, then rekindle interest with a "V" model. I like the V6TT, but wish for a V8.
That article than JD03Cobra tagged mentions the ATS weight at 3700#, where did they get that inflated number?
That makes some sense from a sales perspective, but if they don't improve the manual transmission in the base car, that time could come sooner than later. Also, a lot of us high mileage V2 drivers may not want to wait for the V3, so we may be in the market for a proper ATS-V. Let the TTV6 add excitement to the new standard CTS, but American V8's are the best response to the German TT6's in the BMW 3's.

I want to increase my "carbon footprint," whatever that hippy doper term means, so if I can pay for what is proper in a "V," I would like the opportunity. BTW, real world mpg ratings are probably really, really optimistic for a TTV6 driven like a performance option.

Jud

#37 · (Edited)
I don't think it makes sense to put the TTV6 in 2 different model types, standard and "V." It would look like the ATS-V is not all that special and take away from the "V" heritage that has developed. A normally aspirated LT1 would be a good choice for the ATS-V, leaving a supercharged version for the CTS-V. Don't get me wrong about the TTV6, I think it will be a success and really add to the image of the new CTS. However, the "V's" should be reserved for the enthusiasts because Cadillac needs these buyers to build excitement and talk up the brand.

Jud

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.