2014 CTS - 420hp TT V6 - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, 2014 CTS - 420hp TT V6 in Cadillac V-Series Forums; It would probably drive fine but really, it needs considerably more power than its competitors if it s going to ...
    wilmo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    It would probably drive fine but really, it needs considerably more power than its competitors if it s going to draw off customers.. Just like the CTSV did.. 450-500 would be appropriate.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)

Re: 2014 CTS - 420hp TT V6

Quote Originally Posted by wilmo View Post
    It would probably drive fine but really, it needs considerably more power than its competitors if it s going to draw off customers.. Just like the CTSV did.. 450-500 would be appropriate.
    Agreed, and sound the part like other V's. We don't need any piped in engine noise from the stereo.
    Jud

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

how about piped-in sauerkraut odors?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH
    how about piped-in sauerkraut odors?
    Top or bottom source? Not sure the Eurosnobs would go for it. But give me garlic and I would be happy to drive your Ferrari or Maserati.

Jud
    Jud

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

lulz

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

I have never understood automakers piping in exhaust sound. Maybe a Ferrari sounding exhaust for my ATS would change my mind.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

High-performance cars never had good enough sound insulation before. It's the convergence of desire for a real sports car in a luxury car body and soundproofing that's so good you can't hear the engine frequencies that say "sports car."

I find it interesting because I personally prefer the mechanical sounds of the engine itself over the explosive sounds of the exhaust. A little induction whine isn't always a bad thing either

.Jinx

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

This reminds me of one of those sound machines where you can choose a sound ... rain, crickets chirping ... now, V exhaust.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

I love the sound starting my car, especially in the underground garage where it resonates on nearby cars. That's what needs to continue.

Jud
    Jud

Do you think that the exhaust note of a higher performance version of the TTV6 can be tuned to sound like a V8, or will it sound like an insect no matter what is done? That exhaust tuning might bring in a few V8 guys to the ATS-V that otherwise would pass on it.

Jud
    Jud

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

I think Magnaflow makes some deep sounding mufflers that could bring it close. Wait to see what they come up with when the car is released.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

It'll never sound the same. But it can surely be given enough low frequency rumble and midrange bark and high end howl to clearly indicate machismo. Cadillac will err on the side of caution and deliver something serious but civilized, and the aftermarket will gladly add whatever degree of boisterousness you can stand.

But if you're looking for this specific kind of sound, I don't see it happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib48qj1shwA

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Not bad for OEM exhaust.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Not bad for OEM exhaust.
    Now that sounds like a high performance car and not a beehive. We need that mill in the ATS-V (with a little torque bump, of course, and paired with the TR6070).

But if the ATS-V is not available before 12/15/13, I'm going back to Corvettes (C7 TR6070) for a while. They are fantastic sports cars and closely related (where it counts) to the current Cadillac V's; it's all in the GM family.

Jud
    Jud

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    Do you think that the exhaust note of a higher performance version of the TTV6 can be tuned to sound like a V8, or will it sound like an insect no matter what is done? That exhaust tuning might bring in a few V8 guys to the ATS-V that otherwise would pass on it.

Jud
    It will sound pretty close to this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i01pg7E6OcU

IMO, some good induction noise is nearly as good as the high-pitched exotic symphony that an LS puts out.

But if the ATS-V is not available before 12/15,
    you mean 2015? I would expect the ATS-V to be avalible for order no later than the beginning of 2014, possibly even very late this year. The F80 M3 is planning a launch early next year similarly. 2015 is probably a year to look forward to a CTS-V but not an ATS-V.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.