2014 CTS - 420hp TT V6 - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, 2014 CTS - 420hp TT V6 in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by Siren05 Guys. 6 cylinder turbos have been making mega power for decades supras,skylines,Mitsubishi 3000gts. I had an ...
    concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: 2014 CTS - 420hp TT V6

Quote Originally Posted by Siren05 View Post
    Guys. 6 cylinder turbos have been making mega power for decades supras,skylines,Mitsubishi 3000gts.

I had an IS300 turbo with GTE BLOCK 3.0T making 620rwhp. This beast would run with sport bikes on highway pulls.
    Guy. Most GM motorheads are quite familiar with a turbo6's potential. Whats your point?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    That article than JD03Cobra tagged mentions the ATS weight at 3700#, where did they get that inflated number?
    It doesnt seem that high. Take the 3.6L Auto ATS, add 150+lbs for engine, transmission, diff, and suspension upgrades.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    I don't think it makes sense to put the TTV6 in 2 different model types, standard and "V." It would look like the ATS-V is not all that special and take away from the "V" heritage that has developed. A normally aspirated LT1 would be a good choice for the ATS-V, leaving a supercharged version for the CTS-V. Don't get me wrong about the TTV6, I think it will be a success and really add to the image of the new CTS. However, the "V's" should be reserved for the enthusiasts because Cadillac needs these buyers to build excitement and talk up the brand.

Jud
    The argument can be made that your POV limits the V's potential. If the TTV6 has the power delivery that high-performance buyers want, then isnt it a suitable engine choice? The choice of engine is very important, but is it really necessary it be a V8? I would very much like a RWD/6M/V8 setup, but I would settle for AWD, for a DCT, and a V6TT if it drives as good as the previous V's have. OTOH, I can understand your point that the V engines should only be used in high-performance vehicles. It seems BMW and Mercedes protect this idea very well. This makes me wonder how high performance the CTS-VSport will be. Its weight and power should be very close to a 1st gen V. BTW, Id prefer the LS7 over the LT1. If reports are accurate, the LT1 and V6TT are within a few lbs of each other, making the LS7 a fair bit lighter.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    Guy. Most GM motorheads are quite familiar with a turbo6's potential. Whats your point?

----------

It doesnt seem that high. Take the 3.6L Auto ATS, add 150+lbs for engine, transmission, diff, and suspension upgrades.

----------

The argument can be made that your POV limits the V's potential. If the TTV6 has the power delivery that high-performance buyers want, then isnt it a suitable engine choice? The choice of engine is very important, but is it really necessary it be a V8? I would very much like a RWD/6M/V8 setup, but I would settle for AWD, for a DCT, and a V6TT if it drives as good as the previous V's have. OTOH, I can understand your point that the V engines should only be used in high-performance vehicles. It seems BMW and Mercedes protect this idea very well. This makes me wonder how high performance the CTS-VSport will be. Its weight and power should be very close to a 1st gen V. BTW, Id prefer the LS7 over the LT1. If reports are accurate, the LT1 and V6TT are within a few lbs of each other, making the LS7 a fair bit lighter.
    My point was 6 cylinder turbos provide as much power as any supercharged V8. My 3.0t was making around 800 crank hp

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    The sc v8 sounds like an engine though. The turbo v6 sounds like a sick cat.
    JFJr and JFJr like this.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH
    The sc v8 sounds like an engine though. The turbo v6 sounds like a sick cat.
    Yeah, it's not a power issue at all. Sound is part of the experience. And I would be more than happy with an LS7. Then we wouldn't be saddled with that sorry DOD feature. Just something else to go wrong. Imagine being stuck in 4 cylinder mode, or worse, 0 cylinders.

Jud
    Jud

I don't think GM is going to put a V8 sport car out there with DOD that can't be turned off. On the Camaro, you turn off DOD by putting the transmission in Sport. Which also turns off the 2nd gear start. Which is why almost no Camaro automatic owner uses D. Hopefully they continue the trend of not even using it on manual trans cars.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    ... If reports are accurate, the LT1 and V6TT are within a few lbs of each other, making the LS7 a fair bit lighter.
    The LS7 is lighter?!! Interesting ... I didn't know that.

Not to belabor the point, but unless the V6TT gets a significant bump in hp from the VSport version, I don't see how it makes sense to put it in the ATS-V.

On another note, I really like the idea of an AWD/DCT/V6TT VSport. I'm not holding my breath, though.

jsiddall is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX V8 AWD Sport, 06 STS V8, 05 SRX V8 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    The LS7 is lighter?!! Interesting ... I didn't know that.
    I dunno. Makes perfect sense to me. Take an engine of similar external dimensions, take out a bunch of cylinder deactivation and variable valve timing parts, replace some other parts with lightweight version, then bore out a whole bunch more cylinder metal to get it up to 7.0 L. How could it not be lighter?

Don't forget the LS7 is dry sump. So in addition to the weight of the engine you have to add the weight of an oil tank and pump.

Quote Originally Posted by jsiddall View Post
    I dunno. Makes perfect sense to me. Take an engine of similar external dimensions, take out a bunch of cylinder deactivation and variable valve timing parts, replace some other parts with lightweight version, then bore out a whole bunch more cylinder metal to get it up to 7.0 L. How could it not be lighter?
    How could boring out the cylinders larger and filling them with bigger pistons save much weight? I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I don't think GM is going to put a V8 sport car out there with DOD that can't be turned off. On the Camaro, you turn off DOD by putting the transmission in Sport. Which also turns off the 2nd gear start. Which is why almost no Camaro automatic owner uses D. Hopefully they continue the trend of not even using it on manual trans cars.
    I hope you're right. If GM goes the LS7 route, we won't have the added weight, bulk and complexity from DOD. Also, I'm not ready to embrace direct injection until the engineers are allowed to build in a solution to intake valve carbon buildup because no fuel passes through them.

Jud
    Jud

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    ... I'm not ready to embrace direct injection until the engineers are allowed to build in a solution to intake valve carbon buildup because no fuel passes through them.

Jud
    But, it helps increase compression ratio.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

The LS7 is at the end of its life. They're not going to put that in the ATS-V. The LT1 is a better fit -- plenty of power, less stressed, better fuel economy, probably cheaper given production volume, and it'll be built for the life of the first-gen ATS platform.

As for the fear of direct injection -- y'all know the other ATS engines use it, right?
    As for the fear of cylinder cutoff -- the Corvette has a five-position mode switch, and there's no cylinder cutoff in the sportier modes. They'll do something similar for the ATS-V if it gets the Corvette engine.

.Jinx

You're probably right about the LT1, but just having the DOD function built in makes me a little nervous. I still remember the 8-6-4-0 Cadillac V8 from the 80's. Ha haa! And how many mpg does DOD really gain? As for direct injection, the 3.6 V6 uses it too. The following is an interesting article: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...injection.html

Jud
    Jud

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

The 8-6-4 was thirty-four years ago.
    GM has a decade of experience with direct injection. Most of the Internet grief over direct injection comes from early VW and Audi motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx
    The 8-6-4 was thirty-four years ago.
    GM has a decade of experience with direct injection. Most of the Internet grief over direct injection comes from early VW and Audi motors.
    Ha haa! That was a tongue-in-cheek comment. But 10 years experience with DI in gasoline engines? What other engines? Hmm! I think it might be more of a cost issue. Hopefully, GM will find a fairly inexpensive, simple cure and even y'all (a/k/a Bubba) will be happy.

Jud
    Jud

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.