Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2014 CTS - 420hp TT V6

19K views 89 replies 23 participants last post by  M5eater 
#1 ·
If the base model gets 420hp then I would expect the ATS-V to have more!!! Should be interesting.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/18/cadillac-confirms-420-hp-twin-turbo-v6-for-2014-cts-w-videos/

"The 2014 CTS will break cover next week at the New York Auto Show, but Cadillac has released a few details of what we can expect to find under the car's hood. As we saw in some spy shots back in January, the biggest news for the midsize Caddy will be a twin-turbocharged V6 producing a whopping 420 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque.

This LF3 engine will be paired to a new eight-speed automatic transmission, which will help balance performance and fuel economy. We still don't know how much the 2014 CTS has grown in terms of size and weight, but General Motors says that new sedan will return 17 miles per gallon in the city and 25 mpg highway with the new engine to go with a 0-60 mile per hour time of 4.6 seconds – that means the new CTS will have the fuel economy close to the current base model sedan and acceleration not too far from the current CTS-V. General Motors also confirmed that this twin-turbo V6 will be available in the 2014 XTS this fall."

#42 ·
One ATS-V please and hope it's a V-8. And listen up Cadillac - 350 - 400hp won't cut it with today's competition. Why would anybody pay a $10k premium for 30 - 80 horsepower increase? This car needs to make a statement just like the original CTS-V did. A mediocre warmed over TT V-6 won't do the job.

#43 ·
I cannot imagine Cadillac would produce a "real" ATS-V (i.e.: not a V sport) either V6 or V8 equipped, with less than 420 HP so I doubt you will be disappointed.

As a rule of thumb, if you keep in your head the BMW equivalent of every Caddillac and then rememember that Cadillac wants to outperform the equivalent BMW you can predict where they will end up.

In this case the ATS-V is targeting M3 which, a few years in now, already has 414 HP. You can be sure the ATS-V will have no less than that, and may well have significantly more.

#46 ·
Guy. Most GM motorheads are quite familiar with a turbo6's potential. Whats your point?

----------

That article than JD03Cobra tagged mentions the ATS weight at 3700#, where did they get that inflated number?
It doesnt seem that high. Take the 3.6L Auto ATS, add 150+lbs for engine, transmission, diff, and suspension upgrades.

----------

I don't think it makes sense to put the TTV6 in 2 different model types, standard and "V." It would look like the ATS-V is not all that special and take away from the "V" heritage that has developed. A normally aspirated LT1 would be a good choice for the ATS-V, leaving a supercharged version for the CTS-V. Don't get me wrong about the TTV6, I think it will be a success and really add to the image of the new CTS. However, the "V's" should be reserved for the enthusiasts because Cadillac needs these buyers to build excitement and talk up the brand.

Jud
The argument can be made that your POV limits the V's potential. If the TTV6 has the power delivery that high-performance buyers want, then isnt it a suitable engine choice? The choice of engine is very important, but is it really necessary it be a V8? I would very much like a RWD/6M/V8 setup, but I would settle for AWD, for a DCT, and a V6TT if it drives as good as the previous V's have. OTOH, I can understand your point that the V engines should only be used in high-performance vehicles. It seems BMW and Mercedes protect this idea very well. This makes me wonder how high performance the CTS-VSport will be. Its weight and power should be very close to a 1st gen V. BTW, Id prefer the LS7 over the LT1. If reports are accurate, the LT1 and V6TT are within a few lbs of each other, making the LS7 a fair bit lighter.

#49 ·
JimmyH said:
The sc v8 sounds like an engine though. The turbo v6 sounds like a sick cat.
Yeah, it's not a power issue at all. Sound is part of the experience. And I would be more than happy with an LS7. Then we wouldn't be saddled with that sorry DOD feature. Just something else to go wrong. Imagine being stuck in 4 cylinder mode, or worse, 0 cylinders.

Jud

#50 ·
I don't think GM is going to put a V8 sport car out there with DOD that can't be turned off. On the Camaro, you turn off DOD by putting the transmission in Sport. Which also turns off the 2nd gear start. Which is why almost no Camaro automatic owner uses D. Hopefully they continue the trend of not even using it on manual trans cars.

#55 ·
I hope you're right. If GM goes the LS7 route, we won't have the added weight, bulk and complexity from DOD. Also, I'm not ready to embrace direct injection until the engineers are allowed to build in a solution to intake valve carbon buildup because no fuel passes through them.

Jud

#57 ·
The LS7 is at the end of its life. They're not going to put that in the ATS-V. The LT1 is a better fit -- plenty of power, less stressed, better fuel economy, probably cheaper given production volume, and it'll be built for the life of the first-gen ATS platform.

As for the fear of direct injection -- y'all know the other ATS engines use it, right?
As for the fear of cylinder cutoff -- the Corvette has a five-position mode switch, and there's no cylinder cutoff in the sportier modes. They'll do something similar for the ATS-V if it gets the Corvette engine.

.Jinx

#58 · (Edited)
#60 · (Edited)
Jinx said:
The 8-6-4 was thirty-four years ago.
GM has a decade of experience with direct injection. Most of the Internet grief over direct injection comes from early VW and Audi motors.
Ha haa! That was a tongue-in-cheek comment. But 10 years experience with DI in gasoline engines? What other engines? Hmm! I think it might be more of a cost issue. Hopefully, GM will find a fairly inexpensive, simple cure and even y'all (a/k/a Bubba) will be happy.

Jud :lildevil:

#62 ·
Jinx said:
Ecotec Z22YH in 2003 Opels.
US experience started in earnest in 2006 with the LNF turbo four and in 2007 with the LLT 3.6L V6 in the CTS, and since then it's spread like a virus across GM's product line.
Well, Bubba considers 4 cylinders half an engine and 6 cylinders 3/4th of an engine anyway, so that dog wouldn't hunt down here.

Jud

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.