ATS-V = V6TT, ATS-V Special Edition = V8 per Motor Trend Confirmed
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, ATS-V = V6TT, ATS-V Special Edition = V8 per Motor Trend Confirmed in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I ran across this article this morning so I thought that I would post it here. They talk about the ...
    krummel21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

ATS-V = V6TT, ATS-V Special Edition = V8 per Motor Trend Confirmed

I ran across this article this morning so I thought that I would post it here. They talk about the ATS-V in the 2nd paragraph.

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-ne...#axzz2LABiMuax

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Re: ATS-V = V6TT, ATS-V Special Edition = V8 per Motor Trend Confirmed

That's just what I expected. Everyone's trying to pare weight off the vehicles to improve gas mileage. Does a twin turbo V6 with all the plumbing/intercooler weight less than an aluminum block V8, I wonder. GM has a 5.5L V8 in development that could easily put out 400+HP and with DI and cylinder deactivation probably get better mileage that the TTV6. Nothing beats the sound of a V8 with a good exhaust system!!

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

The previous LS3 weighed about the same as the 3.6 V6, as the DOHC valvetrain weighs more than the heads on the simpler V8. The LT1 weighs about 30 lb more, due to the variable valve timing, DI plumbing, and apparatus/computer for the cylinder deactivation. That would still be lighter than adding a turbo and intercooler, so the new V8 could still be lighter than the turbo V6.

I believe the selection of the V6 Turbo is based more on what BMW will be offering, unless they found some other magic in this engine. The LT1 would weigh the same, or even less, probably make more power, have equivalent fuel economy, a lower center of gravity, and no turbo lag. Not to mention a great V8 soundtrack, and something unique in the class (if MB dumps the V8 in the C Class AMG). Chevy kept the displacement for the C7 at 6.2 L for improved economy, as it could run more often in four cylinder mode at that displacement, and it also allows more power to boot! The C7 Vette weighs only a couple of hundred pounds less than the ATS-V will weigh, so it would certainly have scintillating performance of 0-60 in the low 4s. The ZO6 engine would be even better. Hope they both find their way into the ATS.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I'm fine with both...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

krummel21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Would it be worth the wait though? I would assume with some aftermarket tunes that v6 TT could have some real good power

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

'05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

and i wouldn't necessarily say 'confirmed'
    someone has leaked this info to MT
    maybe even a sanctioned leak, still a leak nonetheless
    confirmation would come from GM not the press

just sayin'
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Posaune is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None yet

Wasn't the 5.5L gen V rumor debunked a while ago?

I found this statement quite interesting:

"But V-8 fans shouldn’t despair, because the ATS was designed with room for a V-8 as big as the 7.0-liter Corvette Z06’s; that plan isn’t dead. Some kind of ATS-V “plus” could feature V-8 power, possibly at the end of the first-gen ATS’ lifecycle as a special model."

Does MT know what they're talking about? I'm not too confident.

EDIT: Just got back from taking my wife's SRX to the dealer to get the oil changed. Got back and told my wife how I was drooling over the ATS models on the showroom floor. Told her (again) how I'd like to get the V version when it comes out. Getting her warmed up to the idea every chance I get.
    JD03Cobra and JD03Cobra like this.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

bruff1977 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    The LT1 with AFM will weigh in at 465 pounds. Not sure how much the LFX is, or the LLT for that matter, but if there will be a TTV6, it has to weigh less than 465.

Posaune is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None yet

LLT is about 370 dry. LFX redesigned heads with integrated header saved about 20lbs so about 350lbs dry. Add the plumbing, turbos, IC and I would bet the TTV6 and LT1 are very close in weight.

M5eater is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

LLT is about 370 dry. LFX redesigned heads with integrated header saved about 20lbs so about 350lbs dry. Add the plumbing, turbos, IC and I would bet the TTV6 and LT1 are very close in weight.
    Agreed, actually, I would stretch to say that with 110lbs to play with it could easily come slightly under an LT1 in weight. The turbos are very small MHI units and given that their manifolds are integrated into the heads, that's your second largest source of weight removed. With just the turbos to deal with we're only talking between 20-35lbs a pop there. IC piping is all cast aluminum or plastic these days, there's *maybe* 5 lbs worth collectively. The Water to air IC bricks are relatively small units but the support system for the coolant res and associated hardware I would bet is another 20lbs.

Pure estimates based on my past experience with twinturbo V6 units of course, but adding turbo's isn't a 150lb dead horse that comes to mind whenever it's mentioned.

Would it be worth the wait though? I would assume with some aftermarket tunes that v6 TT could have some real good power
    I think you would find that given it's introduced into enough cars, and possibly a Camaro or Corvette, an LF3 would be more capable than an LT1 until you start talking about crazy-stupid numbers.

Making power in an LS3 isn't the 100hp on a dime engine that it's touted to be. It costs a lot of money to make an additional 100HP and remain N/A, and if you're wanting to go F/I, you're easily into 7-10K territory. What's great about it compared to sale, a 5.0L ford is that it's in a lot more than a Camaro, so your customer (and by extension supplier) base is exponentially larger.

I would bet you could make an additional 100HP in an LF3 for less than a set of heads for an LS3. Even after Cadillac/Low production engine taxes, and if it makes it's way into a real sports car (ie the maro or vette) I think you'd find it could turn into an amazing platform simply by virtue that cars which have employed this configuration in the past with core enthusiast owners-- the B5 S4, 335i and 300ZX for example, have demonstrated that they can easily spawn aftermarket to push those engines into the 5,6 even 800hp relms.

While being available in an affordable platform will surely increase it's popularity. I think really all the LF3 needs to be able to exist as a potent platform is a non-locked ECU and a decent amount of breathing room from the connecting rods.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    ... a decent amount of breathing room from the connecting rods.
    Can't recall ... did they say they were forged ... or not?

M5eater is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Can't recall ... did they say they were forged ... or not?
    the best technical article I've found comes from GM's news outlet on their site, however, they don't mention how they made the changes, only that they exist.
    http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...f3-engine.html

Quote Originally Posted by GM
    he new engine is a comprehensive upgrade on the 60-degree, 3.6L DOHC V-6 offered in today’s SRX, XTS and ATS. However, almost every component is unique. New features include:

All-new cylinder block casting
    All-new cylinder head castings
    Strengthened connecting rods
    Machined, domed aluminum pistons with top steel ring carrier for greater strength
    10.2:1 compression ratio
    Patented, integrated charge air cooler system with low-volume air ducts
    Two turbochargers produce more than 12 pounds of boost (80 kPa)
    Vacuum-actuated wastegates with electronic control valves
    All-new direct injection fuel system
    Tuned air inlet and outlet resonators, aluminum cam covers and other features that contribute to exceptional quietness and smoothness.

"Strengthened ..."

Hm-m ...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.