ATS-V = V6TT, ATS-V Special Edition = V8 per Motor Trend Confirmed - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, ATS-V = V6TT, ATS-V Special Edition = V8 per Motor Trend Confirmed in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Less words!...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Less words!

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: ATS-V = V6TT, ATS-V Special Edition = V8 per Motor Trend Confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Less words!
    Shall I remind you of whom you're talking to?

wut.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

M5eater,

The VW GTI and Audi B5 are not comparable to the CTS-V, or even the upcoming ATS-V. You know why the tuner kids love those cars? Cheap speed, that's why. The B5 is 11-16 years old. Of course Cadillac doesn't have a comparable street scene -- the only thing it had then was the Catera. Also consider that Audi now is more upmarket than it was then. A new ATS-V with the LT1 would gather its own devoted following -- yes, overlapping with the rest of the Chevy smallblock marques, as if that's a bad thing. Of course the Caddy's following will be smaller and more well-heeled, not unlike the first-gen CTS-V following was... and over time, as the cars go second-hand and third-hand, it'll go from aspirational to affordable for the young turks who make street scenes vibrant and interesting. It doesn't need a blown V6 to do that.

Indeed, you seem to make this point yourself later, indicating the relative dearth of M3s in places "past road-racing and grocery getting." That's what happens when you go beyond the $50K mark -- fewer cars, and fewer of them knitted together in garage-mechanic crazy maniac communities. They exist (for Cadillac too), just not so thick as cars that younger guys with fewer obligations build up.

As for the supposed lack of individuality in the Chevy smallblock world, you need to get out more. First there's the fact that the Chevy smallblock is the go-to transplant engine. Visit YouTube and type in LS1 and see what you get. Next, consider how many different ways the Chevy smallblock can be tweaked. If you're not making 1000hp you're a nobody?? That's an elitist attitude; maybe you get that if you hang out with hardcore tuners with deep pockets, but come on, that's hardly the only experience out there. Most of us respect our fellow gearheads wherever they are on the tuning scale. Now it is true, if you want to be a big fish it's easier in a small pond, but fame is fleeting, and fun is more easily shared.

As for Cadillac's desire for exclusive powertrains, what can't be ignored is that the three products that brought Cadillac back from the dead are all powered by Chevy smallblocks -- Escalade, CTS-V 1, and CTS-V 2. When Cadillac insisted on having its own engine it didn't do as well: witness STS-V, XLR and XLR-V, and their last V6 turbo, the one-and-done 2.8L in the SRX.

I'm not saying the LF3 won't be successful under the hood of Cadillacs, but GM should beware choosing a less-powerful and less-proven engine for a performance halo car. No one will question the performance cred of a Cadillac with a Corvette engine.

Of course, GM Powertrain has been doing great things lately -- would it be too ironic to say they're firing on all cylinders? -- and a TTV6 ATS-V would be fun to drive and make the boost-nut 1% positively giddy. It just seems like an unnecessary risk on a product that cannot afford to come up short.

.Jinx

Mouthy.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Mouthy.
    no. that's how you post a response.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    My God, you young men eventually will learn that less words and more succinct argument will win the day, not rambling.

Jud
    Jud

Surly.

you know, I've had a change of heart, this thing really needs a V8. If It ends up with the LF3, I don't know, I might really just look for a used German V8 bruiser. Which is a shame because I want a damn american sports sedan with a damn american V8.

rolling on the stock mufflers with the V, I really just miss that noise way too much.

bruff1977 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

I don't like the notion of two ATS-Vs... And here's my reasoning. Because it should be unique and desirable from the launch (pun intended). Let the 'V' speak for itself. Look at the C63 coupe for example. I live in the Metro DC area and I have seen exactly ONE C63 coupe since its release. Simply put, they don't sell (here at least). But Daimler is aware that some want want more power/exclusivity. Hence the Black Series. If GM wants these to sell (no smallish true American performance sedan on market) it should be EXCLUSIVE and POWERFUL from the get go. Like it has always been.

Quote Originally Posted by bruff1977 View Post
    I don't like the notion of two ATS-Vs... And here's my reasoning. Because it should be unique and desirable from the launch (pun intended). Let the 'V' speak for itself. Look at the C63 coupe for example. I live in the Metro DC area and I have seen exactly ONE C63 coupe since its release. Simply put, they don't sell (here at least). But Daimler is aware that some want want more power/exclusivity. Hence the Black Series. If GM wants these to sell (no smallish true American performance sedan on market) it should be EXCLUSIVE and POWERFUL from the get go. Like it has always been.
    The catch is that, a V8 version would (presumably) be no more powerful than the LF3 given that power estimates for this car are between 420-450 HP and the LT1 (in the corvette) was ratted for exactly 455/460 a few days ago.

a V8 ATS-V would simply a preference, not a performance trim package. Yes it might be an all-inclusive package that packs lots of options with it, but following those lines, I'd be fine with it, even thought I share you concerns in precisely the same manner; I really don't like the idea of owning a car that's not as great as it could have been.

It will be very interesting in a year or so to find out what the real world mpg difference there is between the TTV6 and the LT1. I would bet that there's none or very little because TTV6 drivers will spend a lot of time in the significant boost range.

Jud
    Jud

There should be some difference but probably not as much as we think

The lt1 in a 3200lb vette has been estimated at 26mpg

The 3700-3800# vsport is rated for 17/25

My guess between 1-3mpg favoring the lf3

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater
    There should be some difference but probably not as much as we think

The lt1 in a 3200lb vette has been estimated at 26mpg

The 3700-3800# vsport is rated for 17/25

My guess between 1-3mpg favoring the lf3
    Well, we're talking about expectations for both engines. We have to compare equal total weights for both vehicles. I still think that the TTV6 will be worked harder than the LT1, reducing any actual difference. Anyway, I'm glad the TTV6 has been developed and it should be a success for the non-car "enthusiasts."

Jud
    Jud

Maybe one will be an ATS-V V-sport and the other will be an ATS-V...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.