Cadillac Owners Forum banner

No ats-v news?

21K views 89 replies 17 participants last post by  RippyPartsDept 
#1 ·
Kind of disapointed we haven't had any ats-v news yet out of naias. I keep checking here and gminisdenews every day.

My dad doesnt like the new vette at all, not surprised since he has on 2012, I am still trying to decide.

#3 ·
That or GM just wanted to prolong the good press a little longer and not dilute news of the Vette and (regular) ATS then have nothing for other shows. Personally, I think we're both right.

#8 ·
It would be nice if ATS-V were unveiled before CTS-V ordering closed. Sigh.

It would also be nice if there wasn't a yearlong gap in the V-series. If they don't announce ATS-V until November, it probably won't be on dealer lots until the following Spring.

#9 ·
Guys, I love my 2009 V2 but am piling up the miles (75,000+) and would like to trade this year. I like the idea of a slightly smaller V with upgraded technology and a suitable engine and transmission. What is the group's latest prognostication on ATS-V announcement and availability? Someone must have a GM mole friend.

Jud

#17 ·
My theory is that either they didn't want to take any thunder away from the other new models they were introducing AND/OR they didn't want to tip their hand yet to the Europeans (primarily BMW) and reveal which motor and hp they've got in mind. Of course, it could be that they're truly not yet decided or it's going to slip to 2015 before introduction and there's not rush to tell the public.

#19 ·
I am betting we don't see the ATS-V until next year. I am still surprised they will be selling the 2nd gen CTS coupe, wagon, and V models next year alongside the 3rd gen CTS sedan.

GM is up to their armpits in unorthodox right now. I say kudos to them for doing what no one expects.

----------

You know, I want to see GM throw every one a curve. Offer an ATS-Vsport with the turbo V6, 420 hp, auto-only; and an ATS-V with LT1, 475 hp, manual trans only.

#23 ·
There is no way that Cadillac is going to build a manual-transmission-only car. And I doubt they'll invest in bringing both the TTV6 and LT1 to market in the ATS. (They may be testing both, but full certification and production is a whole other level of commitment.) And the idea of an ATS Vsport is interesting, but I think the existing NA V6 already fills that role. A TTV6 ATS-Vsport would be faster than the CTS-Vsport, undermining the latter more expensive and more profitable car. Cadillac's position is likely that the entire ATS line is sporty enough that a Vsport isn't needed.

Now if GM builds an I4 turbo with 350hp or so (say 2.5L), that might make for an interesting and non-fratricidal ATS Vsport... but I kind of doubt it, at least in the first-gen ATS lifecycle.

As for the CTS-V continuance, I'm not surprised. It's just too damn successful and too damn important to Cadillac's image. The ATS-V can't really fill its shoes without being overkill and therefore threatening the next CTS-V, and the next CTS-V won't arrive for at least another year.

There's another possibility that I hesitate to even mention. GM may be slowing the roll of all of its next-generation top dogs due to CAFE concerns. GM doesn't want to put out a 600hp monster and then have to detune it or kill it after a year. They may be looking at the CAFE escalation chart and stalling in hopes that popular sentiment shifts and the targets get revised. Honestly, CAFE hasn't really hurt anybody yet, but it's about to. Or they may simply figure that they can't unveil a legion of supercars and expect any traction for CAFE rationalization.

Or maybe the new and seriously downsized GM is just super-busy and doesn't have the bandwidth to roll out so many high-performance niche cars so quickly.

#24 ·
... A TTV6 ATS-Vsport would be faster than the CTS-Vsport, undermining the latter more expensive and more profitable car. Cadillac's position is likely that the entire ATS line is sporty enough that a Vsport isn't needed ...
Agreed, but wasn't the M3 faster than the M5 a few years back or am I comparing different model years? I mean, it may not be an absolute necessity that the CTS VSport has to be faster than the ATS VSport, but I understand what you're saying.

The rest of your observations are good, too. CAFE is eventually going to put a halt on all our fun, but exactly when is the question. And, you wonder just how wide is their "bandwidth" and how much it affects the introduction of these high-performance models. Too many too fast, and the cars won't be the best that they're capable of, and none of us wants a compromised car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.