Cadillac Owners Forum banner

No ats-v news?

21K views 89 replies 17 participants last post by  RippyPartsDept 
#1 ·
Kind of disapointed we haven't had any ats-v news yet out of naias. I keep checking here and gminisdenews every day.

My dad doesnt like the new vette at all, not surprised since he has on 2012, I am still trying to decide.

#69 ·
It would be nice if Cadillac "leaked" some information about the ATS-V engine. Then a lot of us could make a decision about continuing our interest. For me I need to make one before the end of the year. You would think that development is pretty far along since they've done some winter testing and now track comparisons to refine the drivetrain. On the other hand, I may keep my great 2009 beyond expiration of its powertrain warranty, but that doesn't help Cadillac sales figures.

Jud

#76 ·
JimmyH said:
I am betting we don't see the ATS-V until next year. I am still surprised they will be selling the 2nd gen CTS coupe, wagon, and V models next year alongside the 3rd gen CTS sedan.

GM is up to their armpits in unorthodox right now. I say kudos to them for doing what no one expects.

----------

You know, I want to see GM throw every one a curve. Offer an ATS-Vsport with the turbo V6, 420 hp, auto-only; and an ATS-V with LT1, 475 hp, manual trans only.
Oh man I can't wait! I just got my ats 3.6 2 months ago and I'm already thinking about the V. I love the ats and all but I still would like more power. I want something that destroys most cars on the market, not just beats most cars on the market. I came from a 97 z28 and while I think my ats is a touch faster, I still want something that'll give a new vette a good run. I'm still getting used to the sound of the ats and while I do like it, it still doesn't compare to my lt1 with a corsa exhaust! Love to see a v8 in the ats-v, I really don't think that'll happen, I'd still be happy with the twin turbo 3.6.

#79 ·
400-425hp won't be enough unless BMW shows up with less.

As the standard-bearer, BMW can afford to make the less-power-but-better-all-around play. After all, they've made it before and the press has gushed.

As the upstart, Cadillac can't afford to take the chance that their package will be so much sweeter than BMW that the people at large will overlook a horsepower deficit. Not even if they want to get away from the American reputation of power-over-finesse.

.Jinx

#80 ·
the S55 is said to make approximately as much as the previous V8, but offer 100+ ft/lbs more torque.
Ie ~ 410-420hp. 395-400 ft/lbs.

coincidence?

The catch is that there's also talk of extensive weight savings to bring the M3/M4 back down to 34-500 ish pounds. The LF3 has a bit more torque if we land right on 100ft/lbs for the S55 to make up for a 100-150 weight deficite.

Otherwise I could see them just ploping an LF3 in the ATS the same I could see a 10-20 HP, 20-30ft/lb bump. BMW as we all know (including GM) is notorious for lying about their power train estimates recently.

#82 ·
An in-line six cylinder is a formidable design ... you know ... well balanced and all ... plus only two cams to run all those valves.

Wonder if that "440 hp" is underrated and that DCT probably consumes almost negligible hp on its way to the rear wheels. Hm-m ...

GM ... are you getting all this? :poke:

#86 ·
Remember that the M3 is under pressure from Corvette and Mustang. Sure, M3 faithful wouldn't be caught dead in either one, but a significant part of the car's appeal seems to be as a track day machine, and I don't think Roundels will take kindly to being left far behind. So I wouldn't count on BMW being too conservative with the muscle.

There's also the recent German trend of offering a performance car at one price, and then offering a performance pack with a horsepower bump for a hefty additional fee, right from Day One. You don't want to be the guy who got the regular version with less power, do you? I would be shocked if we don't see BMW make this move on the M3/M4, now that they have the forced induction that makes such a power play (ahem) cheap and easy to make. Point being, maybe an M3 has only 420hp, but I bet an M3 also has over 450hp. The magazines are going to compare any challengers to the hotter version when it comes time to render judgement on who's the coolest kid in class.

.Jinx

#87 · (Edited)
remember, the M4 is the next 2door M3. Even with the E92 it was said that they went a bit more 'extreme' with that car over the sedan version (and it also had a slightly more rigid unibody)
There's also the recent German trend of offering a performance car at one price, and then offering a performance pack with a horsepower bump for a hefty additional fee, right from Day One. You don't want to be the guy who got the regular version with less power, do you? I would be shocked if we don't see BMW make this move on the M3/M4, now that they have the forced induction that makes such a power play (ahem) cheap and easy to make. Point being, maybe an M3 has only 420hp, but I bet an M3 also has over 450hp. The magazines are going to compare any challengers to the hotter version when it comes time to render judgement on who's the coolest kid in class.
Valid points. Me personally, I have mixed feelings. Items like the Msport package brake kit for the F30 (ie the F80 m3's future standard brake package) or a factory tune for the N54/55 they have going (20 Hp and 30-40ft/lb something) are just fine, and when reasonably priced (BMW's has, weirdly) offer a way for me to cure my mod bug with a high quality, warrantied product.

When however, you take the route of say, Mercedes and start tinkering with non-DIY parts, I find that it muddies things quite a bit. Their power package involves a real LSD, or internal engine modifications to yield a piffy 30HP difference(you can achieve the same results on any M154, but that's not the point). When you hold a car back in dramatic ways for the sake of being able to charge an additional $6K on an already 70K vehicle, I find that the worst kind of marketing. To me that distorts the soul of the car. Knowing that it's not quite as good as it could have been.

The Carbon Ceramic Brake package coming to this car will be exempt. Anyone that can afford that kind of dough (it'll probably be a 4-6K option) can gladly have the nightmares of chipping a rotor and then shelling out another $1.5-2.5K per rotor.

#88 ·
It seems to me that the M3 AND M4 will be released simultaneously. We've seen both on the development track. Could Cadillac do the same with the ATS-V? Wait for the ATS coupe to be released then drop BOTH V series? Maybe that's the reason why info has been painfully near non-existance.

#89 ·
If it was up to me, I'd stagger their announcements for maximum play in the rags.

I still wonder if GM is waiting for the M3/M4 to be outed before they show their hand. Better have a full house, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.