Cadillac Owners Forum banner

No ats-v news?

21K views 89 replies 17 participants last post by  RippyPartsDept 
#1 ·
Kind of disapointed we haven't had any ats-v news yet out of naias. I keep checking here and gminisdenews every day.

My dad doesnt like the new vette at all, not surprised since he has on 2012, I am still trying to decide.

#34 ·
Where in that video did he say the TTV6 would be used in an upcoming V?

At 1:30 the TTV6 is shown and discussed. "And that will be in what we call the Vsport."
"So, not a V."
"Not a V."
"Yet."
"YET. Is the operative word!"

He means the CTS Vsport is not the replacement for the CTS-V, and that a CTS-V is still coming.

.Jinx

#37 ·
rand49er said:
Without hearing news to the contrary, I'm getting used to the idea that the TTV6 will be the ATS-V powerplant. I was hoping for a bit more.
If that's right Cadillac will lose a lot of prestige and customers, but marketing types know more than any of us; that's why they are paid the big bucks, regardless of merit and knowledge, and usually sorely deficient in both areas.

Jud

#38 ·
I've had both a twin turbo V6 platform and now 2 LS V8 platforms.

Cadillac is banking on these new vehicles targeting an audience such as myself, so I can tell you that while I prefer the noise a V8 makes and maybe I like that the aftermarket is broad(although that is increasingly a minor concern as cars ebecome more powerful) and maintenance is simple, there are no other real qualities I would say are 'absolute have to have's'.

The truth is, the LSA has a lot of power, and it delivers it smoothly, but I liked the power delivery in the TT V6 better, that kick in the pants makes it just 'fell' faster(and in a hot-rod sedan made for 20-30 somethings getting out of their WRX's and Evos, that's OK), even though it was really much slower. The aftermarket for a relatively low production Audi was amazing suffice to say as well, and we're possibly talking about the LF3 being in the CTS as well as any other number of GM vehicles.

Fuel economy also will play a big role for me. While I'm unsure a detuned LT1 in a light platform with a tall 6th gear (like the 1st V) would have a problem returning decent numbers, the facts are, smaller displacement F/I motors run cheaper(my B5 S4 turned 20-22 combined routinely), and paying for 15-16 mpg premium at $4/gallon in the V is a drain when you want to drive it daily. Not withstanding the fact that with such a tiny gas tank, you're only averaging a hamster's asmathic breath's worth of range too.

In conclusion, I see both powertrains as a win-win, and if I had to make a decision it of course would be for the V8, if only because it makes a great noise and it's just a simpler engine(which hopefully means more reliable)

That doesn't mean however, that I would totally shun the car should it come with a TTV6, because the reality is, there is no other car out there that's going to hit this segment to offer a manual with a V8. Those days are over (even the RS5/ RS4--that isn't stateside doesn't have a manual option) How can you alienate a customer that didn't have a product to begin with?

#39 ·
M5eater said:
the reality is, there is no other car out there that's going to hit this platform and offer a manual with a V8. How can you alienate a customer that didn't have a product to begin with?
Some of us don't have to have a sedan. If the ATS-V will only come with the TTV6, that alienates me and I'm probably going for a C7 w/TR6070.

Jud

#41 ·
Plus the "V's" have been very successful with V8's, and that is somewhat of a trademark. We don't need to copy the Germans in their approach to high performance. Let's do it the American way and ignore them. Besides, the "real world" mileage improvement for these TTV6's is marginal at best. However, I do think that the new TTV6 is a great option for the standard CTS and ATS, and will be successful in that configuration for customers who are not car guys and think that all this complexity is needed for bragging rights.

Jud.

#43 ·
Here's something to ponder: Which used car with 100k miles on it would you rather buy, a high-feature TTV6 or a cam-in-block V8?

Look at a V1 with a 100k on it versus a German car with a four-valve-per-cylinder overhead cam motor. That LS6 or LS2 equipped V1 would be a whole lot cheaper to maintain or fix than that more sophisticated German motor ... by far. How the new TTV6 ages when it gets a 100k on it has yet to be seen. Give me that LSx or LTx motor any time.

#44 ·
rand49er said:
Here's something to ponder: Which used car with 100k miles on it would you rather buy, a high-feature TTV6 or a cam-in-block V8?

Look at a V1 with a 100k on it versus a German car with a four-valve-per-cylinder overhead cam motor. That LS6 or LS2 equipped V1 would be a whole lot cheaper to maintain or fix than that more sophisticated German motor ... by far. How the new TTV6 ages when it gets a 100k on it has yet to be seen. Give me that LSx or LTx motor any time.
Agreed, I have 76,000+ miles on my 2009 and could go over 100,000 miles w/normal maintenance. The TTV6 has about twice as many moving parts; what does that tell us? I really don't understand why we need to go the more complex and less cylinder route, given realities. Do we have to pander to the stupid but well-healed trust babies, or do we stay true to our informed roots and continue with a successful formula?

Jud

#47 · (Edited)
There's just as much F80 news as there is ATS-V news.

Maybe more so since the M3 is strictly going to be a sedan (the coupe will now be called an M4)

Look at a V1 with a 100k on it versus a German car with a four-valve-per-cylinder overhead cam motor. That LS6 or LS2 equipped V1 would be a whole lot cheaper to maintain or fix than that more sophisticated German motor ... by far. How the new TTV6 ages when it gets a 100k on it has yet to be seen. Give me that LSx or LTx motor any time
The LS engine is not without it's own faults, and Ford has demonstrated that their ecoboost engine is extremely robust.

while I would agree that there may be some differences in parts prices being that you're talking about a relatively new engine against one that's been around for 15 years, generally speaking, the only items you're going to need to replace at 100K are maintenance items, and possibly a timing belt or chain in the OHC engine. Ancillaries typically don't just fail after ticking off 6 figures, and generally it's safe to say that their service life is about the same on an LS as it is on a Honda.

I'd take either motor if we're only talking about 100K. When we start talking double or triple that, then the LS presents certian advantages in parts costs and serviceability, and that's generally because it's avoided a lot of the technology in modern OHC motors like VVT, DoD or multiple stage intake runners. BMW's Vanos system comes to mind as a general problem area in high-mileage BMW engines, but that aside, an I6 BMW's mechanics will last as long as any LS motor.

The LT1 makes use of a lot of this technology, and I think you'll find once those things hit some serious mileage, they'll fail just like any of it's modern competitors.

#49 ·
I agree but the V2 owners wrecked this theory by purchasing majority of the cars with autos. If your looking at selling cars then what would you build?
the N/A market still has the power to force a 6MT in a auto-only vehicle overseas like the M5.

I would like to think that as low as the take-rate on the V2's has been, it has overall been a worthwhile venture providing it. If nothing else the positive press simply by offering it is incentive, as clearly BMW is selling very few F10 M5's with a sthick.

The Ecoboosts have had their fair share of problems...
I won't doubt that they likely have some grown pains, but if the LS is being lauded around like an invincible machine of unyielding endurance, then surely with it's number of problems itself anything else by comparison can be measured as a pretty good attempt.

The reality is that the oil pumps randomly give out, it has an audiable unresolved piston slap issue, the DoD equipped engines's valvetrain is barely adequate in stock form and block porosity problems(along with various leak TSB's) are a joke.

I won't pretend to know what you might about the ecoboost engines, but all engines have some minor niggles. The reason the LS will get you home is because there's very little to go wrong to keep it from running, not that it's a strictly trouble free masterpiece.

#57 ·
M5eater said:
They really just need to be 'around' the m3 , which is forcast to release early next year.

While I agree, a fall release would be much nicer and may rake in a few more pent-up holiday sales, I really don't think it'll hamper it's success overall.
Personal interest, I have 76,000+ miles on my car and need to do something before my powertrain warranty expires in the middle of 12/2013. Otherwise, back to Corvettes.

#63 ·
*#+"$&*, I wish Cadillac would provide some information soon about the ATS-V, such as engine and sale timeframe. I love my car but would like a slightly smaller replacement with newer technology. My parking garage at work is a pain with tight, minimal parking spaces. At least I'm fortunate enough to have a super sedan for a daily driver in the interim.

Jud

#64 ·
amen.

I fear however, we'll be hearing very little for the next 4-5 months sans increasingly less camouflaged test cars and the same 'confirmations' on power train details.

I'm trying to keep my mind busy parting out the V and getting that sold as well as scrounging every last penny I can for as large a down-payment as possible.

#68 ·
BEarle, you are an angel of mercy!

Those front calipers, I'm sorry to say,look like the same 4 pots all other ATS's wear. At least the rears look like they get alloy 4 pots as well though.

That's not such a bad thing seeing as the brembos in the ATS are very good, I was just personally hoping for some 6 pot flash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.