No ats-v news? - Page 6
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Results 76 to 90 of 90
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, No ats-v news? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by JimmyH I am betting we don't see the ATS-V until next year. I am still surprised they ...
  1. #76
    bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH
    I am betting we don't see the ATS-V until next year. I am still surprised they will be selling the 2nd gen CTS coupe, wagon, and V models next year alongside the 3rd gen CTS sedan.

    GM is up to their armpits in unorthodox right now. I say kudos to them for doing what no one expects.

    ----------

    You know, I want to see GM throw every one a curve. Offer an ATS-Vsport with the turbo V6, 420 hp, auto-only; and an ATS-V with LT1, 475 hp, manual trans only.
    Oh man I can't wait! I just got my ats 3.6 2 months ago and I'm already thinking about the V. I love the ats and all but I still would like more power. I want something that destroys most cars on the market, not just beats most cars on the market. I came from a 97 z28 and while I think my ats is a touch faster, I still want something that'll give a new vette a good run. I'm still getting used to the sound of the ats and while I do like it, it still doesn't compare to my lt1 with a corsa exhaust! Love to see a v8 in the ats-v, I really don't think that'll happen, I'd still be happy with the twin turbo 3.6.

  2. #77
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    39
    Posts
    37,475

    Re: No ats-v news?

    You are not going to see an ATS-V that will destroy most cars on the market. It would also destroy its own drivetrain. The ATS-V will be a sports sedan. Not a supercar.

  3. #78
    bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH
    You are not going to see an ATS-V that will destroy most cars on the market. It would also destroy its own drivetrain. The ATS-V will be a sports sedan. Not a supercar.
    Well I guess that came across a bit wrong....I think 400-425 hp would be enough.
    Not like super car power, but enough to beat most cars.

  4. #79
    Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,184

    Re: No ats-v news?

    400-425hp won't be enough unless BMW shows up with less.

    As the standard-bearer, BMW can afford to make the less-power-but-better-all-around play. After all, they've made it before and the press has gushed.

    As the upstart, Cadillac can't afford to take the chance that their package will be so much sweeter than BMW that the people at large will overlook a horsepower deficit. Not even if they want to get away from the American reputation of power-over-finesse.

    .Jinx

  5. #80
    M5eater's Avatar
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,503

    Re: No ats-v news?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    400-425hp won't be enough unless BMW shows up with less.

    As the standard-bearer, BMW can afford to make the less-power-but-better-all-around play. After all, they've made it before and the press has gushed.

    As the upstart, Cadillac can't afford to take the chance that their package will be so much sweeter than BMW that the people at large will overlook a horsepower deficit. Not even if they want to get away from the American reputation of power-over-finesse.

    .Jinx
    the S55 is said to make approximately as much as the previous V8, but offer 100+ ft/lbs more torque.
    Ie ~ 410-420hp. 395-400 ft/lbs.

    coincidence?


    The catch is that there's also talk of extensive weight savings to bring the M3/M4 back down to 34-500 ish pounds. The LF3 has a bit more torque if we land right on 100ft/lbs for the S55 to make up for a 100-150 weight deficite.

    Otherwise I could see them just ploping an LF3 in the ATS the same I could see a 10-20 HP, 20-30ft/lb bump. BMW as we all know (including GM) is notorious for lying about their power train estimates recently.

  6. #81
    mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    642

    Re: No ats-v news?

    The latest Autoweek (7/8) has the 2014 BMW M4 coupe at 44-99 lbs (depending on trim level) lighter than the existing 3 series. Engine is supposed to be a 3.0 TT straight six with 440 HP.

  7. #82
    rand49er's Avatar
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Lyon, MI
    Age
    65
    Posts
    13,263

    Re: No ats-v news?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    The latest Autoweek (7/8) has the 2014 BMW M4 coupe at 44-99 lbs (depending on trim level) lighter than the existing 3 series. Engine is supposed to be a 3.0 TT straight six with 440 HP.
    An in-line six cylinder is a formidable design ... you know ... well balanced and all ... plus only two cams to run all those valves.

    Wonder if that "440 hp" is underrated and that DCT probably consumes almost negligible hp on its way to the rear wheels. Hm-m ...

    GM ... are you getting all this?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

  8. #83
    M5eater's Avatar
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,503

    Re: No ats-v news?

    Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    An in-line six cylinder is a formidable design ... you know ... well balanced and all ... plus only two cams to run all those valves.

    Wonder if that "440 hp" is underrated and that DCT probably consumes almost negligible hp on its way to the rear wheels. Hm-m ...

    GM ... are you getting all this?
    Rated at 420, making 450 is what 3series post has been saying for a few months now.

    This particular I6, ie, a heavily revised N54, isn't known for it's reliability. Smoothness yes.

  9. #84
    rand49er's Avatar
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Lyon, MI
    Age
    65
    Posts
    13,263

    Re: No ats-v news?

    Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    ... isn't known for it's reliability ...
    Car rags don't often see and report on this aspect, and they're the ones that have the biggest influence on the buying public.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

  10. #85
    Hoosier Daddy's Avatar
    Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Winchestertonfieldville, AZ
    Age
    65
    Posts
    3,576

    Re: No ats-v news?

    Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Car rags don't often see and report on this aspect, and they're the ones that have the biggest influence on the buying public.
    They don't eat without automaker ad revenue, so will do just about anything to avoid talking about that. But it's comical when each new model comes out and suddenly they are talking about all the problem areas (never mentioned before) the new model fixes.

  11. #86
    Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,184

    Re: No ats-v news?

    Remember that the M3 is under pressure from Corvette and Mustang. Sure, M3 faithful wouldn't be caught dead in either one, but a significant part of the car's appeal seems to be as a track day machine, and I don't think Roundels will take kindly to being left far behind. So I wouldn't count on BMW being too conservative with the muscle.

    There's also the recent German trend of offering a performance car at one price, and then offering a performance pack with a horsepower bump for a hefty additional fee, right from Day One. You don't want to be the guy who got the regular version with less power, do you? I would be shocked if we don't see BMW make this move on the M3/M4, now that they have the forced induction that makes such a power play (ahem) cheap and easy to make. Point being, maybe an M3 has only 420hp, but I bet an M3 also has over 450hp. The magazines are going to compare any challengers to the hotter version when it comes time to render judgement on who's the coolest kid in class.

    .Jinx

  12. #87
    M5eater's Avatar
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,503

    Re: No ats-v news?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Remember that the M3 is under pressure from Corvette and Mustang. Sure, M3 faithful wouldn't be caught dead in either one, but a significant part of the car's appeal seems to be as a track day machine, and I don't think Roundels will take kindly to being left far behind. So I wouldn't count on BMW being too conservative with the muscle.

    There's also the recent German trend of offering a performance car at one price, and then offering a performance pack with a horsepower bump for a hefty additional fee, right from Day One. You don't want to be the guy who got the regular version with less power, do you? I would be shocked if we don't see BMW make this move on the M3/M4, now that they have the forced induction that makes such a power play (ahem) cheap and easy to make. Point being, maybe an M3 has only 420hp, but I bet an M3 also has over 450hp. The magazines are going to compare any challengers to the hotter version when it comes time to render judgement on who's the coolest kid in class.

    .Jinx
    remember, the M4 is the next 2door M3. Even with the E92 it was said that they went a bit more 'extreme' with that car over the sedan version (and it also had a slightly more rigid unibody)
    There's also the recent German trend of offering a performance car at one price, and then offering a performance pack with a horsepower bump for a hefty additional fee, right from Day One. You don't want to be the guy who got the regular version with less power, do you? I would be shocked if we don't see BMW make this move on the M3/M4, now that they have the forced induction that makes such a power play (ahem) cheap and easy to make. Point being, maybe an M3 has only 420hp, but I bet an M3 also has over 450hp. The magazines are going to compare any challengers to the hotter version when it comes time to render judgement on who's the coolest kid in class.
    Valid points. Me personally, I have mixed feelings. Items like the Msport package brake kit for the F30 (ie the F80 m3's future standard brake package) or a factory tune for the N54/55 they have going (20 Hp and 30-40ft/lb something) are just fine, and when reasonably priced (BMW's has, weirdly) offer a way for me to cure my mod bug with a high quality, warrantied product.

    When however, you take the route of say, Mercedes and start tinkering with non-DIY parts, I find that it muddies things quite a bit. Their power package involves a real LSD, or internal engine modifications to yield a piffy 30HP difference(you can achieve the same results on any M154, but that's not the point). When you hold a car back in dramatic ways for the sake of being able to charge an additional $6K on an already 70K vehicle, I find that the worst kind of marketing. To me that distorts the soul of the car. Knowing that it's not quite as good as it could have been.

    The Carbon Ceramic Brake package coming to this car will be exempt. Anyone that can afford that kind of dough (it'll probably be a 4-6K option) can gladly have the nightmares of chipping a rotor and then shelling out another $1.5-2.5K per rotor.

  13. #88
    bruff1977 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stafford, VA
    Posts
    221
    It seems to me that the M3 AND M4 will be released simultaneously. We've seen both on the development track. Could Cadillac do the same with the ATS-V? Wait for the ATS coupe to be released then drop BOTH V series? Maybe that's the reason why info has been painfully near non-existance.

  14. #89
    rand49er's Avatar
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Lyon, MI
    Age
    65
    Posts
    13,263

    Re: No ats-v news?

    If it was up to me, I'd stagger their announcements for maximum play in the rags.

    I still wonder if GM is waiting for the M3/M4 to be outed before they show their hand. Better have a full house, too.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

  15. #90
    RippyPartsDept's Avatar
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    13,944

    Re: No ats-v news?

    Four of a Kind or a Straight Flush would also work
    rand49er likes this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting