No ats-v news? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, No ats-v news? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; i wonder if BMW fans know when they'll get their next M3, or if they're just as anxious and impatient ...
    Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Re: No ats-v news?

i wonder if BMW fans know when they'll get their next M3, or if they're just as anxious and impatient as we are.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    i wonder if BMW fans know when they'll get their next M3, or if they're just as anxious and impatient as we are.
    There's just as much F80 news as there is ATS-V news.

Maybe more so since the M3 is strictly going to be a sedan (the coupe will now be called an M4)

Look at a V1 with a 100k on it versus a German car with a four-valve-per-cylinder overhead cam motor. That LS6 or LS2 equipped V1 would be a whole lot cheaper to maintain or fix than that more sophisticated German motor ... by far. How the new TTV6 ages when it gets a 100k on it has yet to be seen. Give me that LSx or LTx motor any time
    The LS engine is not without it's own faults, and Ford has demonstrated that their ecoboost engine is extremely robust.

while I would agree that there may be some differences in parts prices being that you're talking about a relatively new engine against one that's been around for 15 years, generally speaking, the only items you're going to need to replace at 100K are maintenance items, and possibly a timing belt or chain in the OHC engine. Ancillaries typically don't just fail after ticking off 6 figures, and generally it's safe to say that their service life is about the same on an LS as it is on a Honda.

I'd take either motor if we're only talking about 100K. When we start talking double or triple that, then the LS presents certian advantages in parts costs and serviceability, and that's generally because it's avoided a lot of the technology in modern OHC motors like VVT, DoD or multiple stage intake runners. BMW's Vanos system comes to mind as a general problem area in high-mileage BMW engines, but that aside, an I6 BMW's mechanics will last as long as any LS motor.

The LT1 makes use of a lot of this technology, and I think you'll find once those things hit some serious mileage, they'll fail just like any of it's modern competitors.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by JD03Cobra View Post
    I agree but the V2 owners wrecked this theory by purchasing majority of the cars with autos. If your looking at selling cars then what would you build?
    It's all those knuckle-dragging drag racer fanbois wanting the autos...

I keed, I keed.

hmm...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    There's just as much F80 news as there is ATS-V news.

Maybe more so since the M3 is strictly going to be a sedan (the coupe will now be called an M4)

The LS engine is not without it's own faults, and Ford has demonstrated that their ecoboost engine is extremely robust.

while I would agree that there may be some differences in parts prices being that you're talking about a relatively new engine against one that's been around for 15 years, generally speaking, the only items you're going to need to replace at 100K are maintenance items, and possibly a timing belt or chain in the OHC engine. Ancillaries typically don't just fail after ticking off 6 figures, and generally it's safe to say that their service life is about the same on an LS as it is on a Honda.

I'd take either motor if we're only talking about 100K. When we start talking double or triple that, then the LS presents certian advantages in parts costs and serviceability, and that's generally because it's avoided a lot of the technology in modern OHC motors like VVT, DoD or multiple stage intake runners. BMW's Vanos system comes to mind as a general problem area in high-mileage BMW engines, but that aside, an I6 BMW's mechanics will last as long as any LS motor.

The LT1 makes use of a lot of this technology, and I think you'll find once those things hit some serious mileage, they'll fail just like any of it's modern competitors.
    The Ecoboosts have had their fair share of problems...

I agree but the V2 owners wrecked this theory by purchasing majority of the cars with autos. If your looking at selling cars then what would you build?
    the N/A market still has the power to force a 6MT in a auto-only vehicle overseas like the M5.

I would like to think that as low as the take-rate on the V2's has been, it has overall been a worthwhile venture providing it. If nothing else the positive press simply by offering it is incentive, as clearly BMW is selling very few F10 M5's with a sthick.

The Ecoboosts have had their fair share of problems...
    I won't doubt that they likely have some grown pains, but if the LS is being lauded around like an invincible machine of unyielding endurance, then surely with it's number of problems itself anything else by comparison can be measured as a pretty good attempt.

The reality is that the oil pumps randomly give out, it has an audiable unresolved piston slap issue, the DoD equipped engines's valvetrain is barely adequate in stock form and block porosity problems(along with various leak TSB's) are a joke.

I won't pretend to know what you might about the ecoboost engines, but all engines have some minor niggles. The reason the LS will get you home is because there's very little to go wrong to keep it from running, not that it's a strictly trouble free masterpiece.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Enough, Mr. Longwinded Disappearedpants!

I'm back .

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Here's something to ponder: Which used car with 100k miles on it would you rather buy, a high-feature TTV6 or a cam-in-block V8?

Look at a V1 with a 100k on it versus a German car with a four-valve-per-cylinder overhead cam motor. That LS6 or LS2 equipped V1 would be a whole lot cheaper to maintain or fix than that more sophisticated German motor ... by far. How the new TTV6 ages when it gets a 100k on it has yet to be seen. Give me that LSx or LTx motor any time.
    I agree. And its why GM will sell them with 0K miles on them rather than 100K.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    I agree. And its why GM will sell them with 0K miles on them rather than 100K.
    I agree. And it's why the Germans have been successful in selling their cars because resale value (as affected by motor issues when the warranty expires) apparently isn't considered much by the original owner.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

krummel21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Anyone heard any new news? When can we expect to see this?

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    If the ATS-V is not available for purchase this year, Cadillac will lose customers and momentum.

Jud
    Jud

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    If the ATS-V is not available for purchase this year, Cadillac will lose customers and momentum.

Jud
    They really just need to be 'around' the m3 , which is forcast to release early next year.

While I agree, a fall release would be much nicer and may rake in a few more pent-up holiday sales, I really don't think it'll hamper it's success overall.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater

They really just need to be 'around' the m3 , which is forcast to release early next year.

While I agree, a fall release would be much nicer and may rake in a few more pent-up holiday sales, I really don't think it'll hamper it's success overall.
    Personal interest, I have 76,000+ miles on my car and need to do something before my powertrain warranty expires in the middle of 12/2013. Otherwise, back to Corvettes.
    Jud

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    ... Otherwise, back to Corvettes.
    We all have to suffer occasionally.

Ha ha!
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er
    We all have to suffer occasionally.

Ha ha!
    Yeah, I would hate to have to go to a C7.
    rand49er and rand49er like this.
    Jud

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

So would I. I would have to hide all those ricer slots and scoops they put all over it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.