No ats-v news? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, No ats-v news? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I understand that. But it was nice knowing that all my V1 brothers were choosing their own gears just like ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    I understand that. But it was nice knowing that all my V1 brothers were choosing their own gears just like me.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH
    I understand that. But it was nice knowing that all my V1 brothers were choosing their own gears just like me.
    V1's rocked and started the changing of the guard. I loved mine.

Jud
    Jud

bruff1977 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Re: No ats-v news?

http://www.motoman.tv/MMEditorial/ta...S/article.aspx

Interesting segment about the future of Cadillac and what types of new vehicles they may introduce... But the reason why I posted is because Mr. Butler mentions that the TTV6 may be used in an upcoming V...

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Where in that video did he say the TTV6 would be used in an upcoming V?

At 1:30 the TTV6 is shown and discussed. "And that will be in what we call the Vsport."
    "So, not a V."
    "Not a V."
    "Yet."
    "YET. Is the operative word!"

He means the CTS Vsport is not the replacement for the CTS-V, and that a CTS-V is still coming.

.Jinx

Glad someone took it differently. They were talking about engine choice for the CTS lineup initially... Jinx I really hope you're right!

What I really want to know is what car is that illustrated on the wall once Mr. Butler is introduced in the video.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Without hearing news to the contrary, I'm getting used to the idea that the TTV6 will be the ATS-V powerplant. I was hoping for a bit more.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er
    Without hearing news to the contrary, I'm getting used to the idea that the TTV6 will be the ATS-V powerplant. I was hoping for a bit more.
    If that's right Cadillac will lose a lot of prestige and customers, but marketing types know more than any of us; that's why they are paid the big bucks, regardless of merit and knowledge, and usually sorely deficient in both areas.

Jud
    Jud

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    If that's right Cadillac will lose a lot of prestige and customers, but marketing types know more than any of us; that's why they are paid the big bucks, regardless of merit and knowledge, and usually sorely deficient in both areas.

Jud
    I've had both a twin turbo V6 platform and now 2 LS V8 platforms.

Cadillac is banking on these new vehicles targeting an audience such as myself, so I can tell you that while I prefer the noise a V8 makes and maybe I like that the aftermarket is broad(although that is increasingly a minor concern as cars ebecome more powerful) and maintenance is simple, there are no other real qualities I would say are 'absolute have to have's'.

The truth is, the LSA has a lot of power, and it delivers it smoothly, but I liked the power delivery in the TT V6 better, that kick in the pants makes it just 'fell' faster(and in a hot-rod sedan made for 20-30 somethings getting out of their WRX's and Evos, that's OK), even though it was really much slower. The aftermarket for a relatively low production Audi was amazing suffice to say as well, and we're possibly talking about the LF3 being in the CTS as well as any other number of GM vehicles.

Fuel economy also will play a big role for me. While I'm unsure a detuned LT1 in a light platform with a tall 6th gear (like the 1st V) would have a problem returning decent numbers, the facts are, smaller displacement F/I motors run cheaper(my B5 S4 turned 20-22 combined routinely), and paying for 15-16 mpg premium at $4/gallon in the V is a drain when you want to drive it daily. Not withstanding the fact that with such a tiny gas tank, you're only averaging a hamster's asmathic breath's worth of range too.

In conclusion, I see both powertrains as a win-win, and if I had to make a decision it of course would be for the V8, if only because it makes a great noise and it's just a simpler engine(which hopefully means more reliable)

That doesn't mean however, that I would totally shun the car should it come with a TTV6, because the reality is, there is no other car out there that's going to hit this segment to offer a manual with a V8. Those days are over (even the RS5/ RS4--that isn't stateside doesn't have a manual option) How can you alienate a customer that didn't have a product to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater
    the reality is, there is no other car out there that's going to hit this platform and offer a manual with a V8. How can you alienate a customer that didn't have a product to begin with?
    Some of us don't have to have a sedan. If the ATS-V will only come with the TTV6, that alienates me and I'm probably going for a C7 w/TR6070.

Jud
    Jud

This predicament has been popping up in my head for a while now. Whoever introduces the ATS-V with a TTV6 will be asked, "Why NOT a V8?" I really don't think it will be the other way around if it comes with a V8.

Quote Originally Posted by bruff1977 View Post
    This predicament has been popping up in my head for a while now. Whoever introduces the ATS-V with a TTV6 will be asked, "Why NOT a V8?" I really don't think it will be the other way around if it comes with a V8.
    Plus the "V's" have been very successful with V8's, and that is somewhat of a trademark. We don't need to copy the Germans in their approach to high performance. Let's do it the American way and ignore them. Besides, the "real world" mileage improvement for these TTV6's is marginal at best. However, I do think that the new TTV6 is a great option for the standard CTS and ATS, and will be successful in that configuration for customers who are not car guys and think that all this complexity is needed for bragging rights.

Jud.
    JimmyH and JimmyH like this.
    Jud

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I agree. It should be a V8. Unfortunately I don't think it will. I know Cadillac is reading these posts. Let's just hope they take them seriously.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Here's something to ponder: Which used car with 100k miles on it would you rather buy, a high-feature TTV6 or a cam-in-block V8?

Look at a V1 with a 100k on it versus a German car with a four-valve-per-cylinder overhead cam motor. That LS6 or LS2 equipped V1 would be a whole lot cheaper to maintain or fix than that more sophisticated German motor ... by far. How the new TTV6 ages when it gets a 100k on it has yet to be seen. Give me that LSx or LTx motor any time.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er
    Here's something to ponder: Which used car with 100k miles on it would you rather buy, a high-feature TTV6 or a cam-in-block V8?

Look at a V1 with a 100k on it versus a German car with a four-valve-per-cylinder overhead cam motor. That LS6 or LS2 equipped V1 would be a whole lot cheaper to maintain or fix than that more sophisticated German motor ... by far. How the new TTV6 ages when it gets a 100k on it has yet to be seen. Give me that LSx or LTx motor any time.
    Agreed, I have 76,000+ miles on my 2009 and could go over 100,000 miles w/normal maintenance. The TTV6 has about twice as many moving parts; what does that tell us? I really don't understand why we need to go the more complex and less cylinder route, given realities. Do we have to pander to the stupid but well-healed trust babies, or do we stay true to our informed roots and continue with a successful formula?

Jud
    Jud

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    Points well taken ... But...

The ATS is copying, but doing it better. Learning and improving.

The new CTS-V will have a V8. Period

Everything else is basically speculation or opinion.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.