No ats-v news? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, No ats-v news? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Yeah I see your point. Time will tell...
    RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    Yeah I see your point. Time will tell
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: No ats-v news?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Orthodox for Old GM doesn't necessarily apply to New GM.

Really, when NAIAS 2013 came and went with no ATS-V we left orthodoxy behind. When even New York came and went, we left all precedent behind.
    My theory is that either they didn't want to take any thunder away from the other new models they were introducing AND/OR they didn't want to tip their hand yet to the Europeans (primarily BMW) and reveal which motor and hp they've got in mind. Of course, it could be that they're truly not yet decided or it's going to slip to 2015 before introduction and there's not rush to tell the public.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

yeah, that's a pretty good working theory
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I am betting we don't see the ATS-V until next year. I am still surprised they will be selling the 2nd gen CTS coupe, wagon, and V models next year alongside the 3rd gen CTS sedan.

GM is up to their armpits in unorthodox right now. I say kudos to them for doing what no one expects.

----------

You know, I want to see GM throw every one a curve. Offer an ATS-Vsport with the turbo V6, 420 hp, auto-only; and an ATS-V with LT1, 475 hp, manual trans only.
    bruff1977 and bruff1977 like this.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH
    You know, I want to see GM throw every one a curve. Offer an ATS-Vsport with the turbo V6, 420 hp, auto-only; and an ATS-V with LT1, 475 hp, manual trans only.
    Now we're talking; I just hope it's available earlier, with the TR6070, of course.

Jud

They need another V-series manual trans exclusive. Just like the original V. If you wanna be part of this club, then you have to row your own gears.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    They need another V-series manual trans exclusive. Just like the original V. If you wanna be part of this club, then you have to row your own gears.
    I agree!

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

There is no way that Cadillac is going to build a manual-transmission-only car. And I doubt they'll invest in bringing both the TTV6 and LT1 to market in the ATS. (They may be testing both, but full certification and production is a whole other level of commitment.) And the idea of an ATS Vsport is interesting, but I think the existing NA V6 already fills that role. A TTV6 ATS-Vsport would be faster than the CTS-Vsport, undermining the latter more expensive and more profitable car. Cadillac's position is likely that the entire ATS line is sporty enough that a Vsport isn't needed.

Now if GM builds an I4 turbo with 350hp or so (say 2.5L), that might make for an interesting and non-fratricidal ATS Vsport... but I kind of doubt it, at least in the first-gen ATS lifecycle.

As for the CTS-V continuance, I'm not surprised. It's just too damn successful and too damn important to Cadillac's image. The ATS-V can't really fill its shoes without being overkill and therefore threatening the next CTS-V, and the next CTS-V won't arrive for at least another year.

There's another possibility that I hesitate to even mention. GM may be slowing the roll of all of its next-generation top dogs due to CAFE concerns. GM doesn't want to put out a 600hp monster and then have to detune it or kill it after a year. They may be looking at the CAFE escalation chart and stalling in hopes that popular sentiment shifts and the targets get revised. Honestly, CAFE hasn't really hurt anybody yet, but it's about to. Or they may simply figure that they can't unveil a legion of supercars and expect any traction for CAFE rationalization.

Or maybe the new and seriously downsized GM is just super-busy and doesn't have the bandwidth to roll out so many high-performance niche cars so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    ... A TTV6 ATS-Vsport would be faster than the CTS-Vsport, undermining the latter more expensive and more profitable car. Cadillac's position is likely that the entire ATS line is sporty enough that a Vsport isn't needed ...
    Agreed, but wasn't the M3 faster than the M5 a few years back or am I comparing different model years? I mean, it may not be an absolute necessity that the CTS VSport has to be faster than the ATS VSport, but I understand what you're saying.

The rest of your observations are good, too. CAFE is eventually going to put a halt on all our fun, but exactly when is the question. And, you wonder just how wide is their "bandwidth" and how much it affects the introduction of these high-performance models. Too many too fast, and the cars won't be the best that they're capable of, and none of us wants a compromised car.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Cafe isn't going to put an end to these types of cars. Its just going to make them more expensive.

... Its just going to make them more expensive.
    Because there'll be an electric motor and regenerative system at all four corners. I guess I meant to say it'll still be fun, but with differences.

Look at Tesla. There is hope for the sports car of the future.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

I wish they'd just raise the gas tax instead. Then maybe the roads wouldn't suck.

or maybe just use the gas tax money for roads

JD03Cobra is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Platinum CTS V

I agree but the V2 owners wrecked this theory by purchasing majority of the cars with autos. If your looking at selling cars then what would you build?
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.