Cadillac ATS-V On the Way, Will Get Twin-Turbocharged V-6 according Car & Driver
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By rustybear3
  • 4 Post By thebigjimsho
  • 2 Post By BEarle
  • 2 Post By thebigjimsho
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS-V On the Way, Will Get Twin-Turbocharged V-6 according Car & Driver in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; ...
  1. #1
    rustybear3's Avatar
    rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    62
    Posts
    970

    Cadillac ATS-V On the Way, Will Get Twin-Turbocharged V-6 according Car & Driver

    ...expect outstanding performance, with 0–60 times below five seconds and a top speed in excess of 170 mph. "

    http://www.caranddriver.com/news/cad...arged-v-6-news
    delsol1995si and delsol1995si like this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    rand49er's Avatar
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Lyon, MI
    Age
    65
    Posts
    13,183

    Re: Cadillac ATS-V On the Way, Will Get Twin-Turbocharged V-6 according Car & Driver

    The only way a 3.0TT 380-hp version of an ATS-V would make sense is if there was also a 450 hp (+/-) option, IMHO. The latter is needed to gain bragging rights and to maintain the focus of the perpetually-fawning rags.


    EDIT: I see nothing yet of the ATS-V being at NAIAS next week. Hm-m ...
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

  4. #3
    JFJr's Avatar
    JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,372
    Quote Originally Posted by rand49er
    The only way a 3.0TT 380-hp version of an ATS-V would make sense is if there was also a 450 hp (+/-) option, IMHO. The latter is needed to gain bragging rights and to maintain the focus of the perpetually-fawning rags.

    EDIT: I see nothing yet of the ATS-V being at NAIAS next week. Hm-m ...
    What would the weight of the ATS-V be, given that the "V" cars have nearly all the options? I don't think a TT V-6 would have sufficient cojones to give the performance that is expected by car guys, and to add insult to injury, it would sound like an insect.

    Jud

  5. #4
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    48,817
    I just don't see how a TTV6 will have less than 420hp in a V series vehicle...


    -- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)


  6. #5
    JFJr's Avatar
    JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,372
    And TT V-6's don't get significantly better gas mileage than the V-8's they're replacing. Example: Ford "Ecoboost" only gets 1 mpg better than the V-8. Another reason to squash the insect.

    Jud

  7. #6
    BEarle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Escalade
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    27
    Posts
    621
    I was at my dealer this past weekend and my sales guy told me there will be no V for the ATS, I don't know why it's kinda stupid since there's the M3,C63,S4 etc
    concorso and concorso like this.

  8. #7
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    48,817
    Quote Originally Posted by BEarle View Post
    I was at my dealer this past weekend and my sales guy told me there will be no V for the ATS, I don't know why it's kinda stupid since there's the M3,C63,S4 etc
    He's a moron. The V is a definite!
    70eldo and 70eldo like this.


    -- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)


  9. #8
    concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,630

    Re: Cadillac ATS-V On the Way, Will Get Twin-Turbocharged V-6 according Car & Driver

    Quote Originally Posted by BEarle View Post
    I was at my dealer this past weekend and my sales guy told me there will be no V for the ATS, I don't know why it's kinda stupid since there's the M3,C63,S4 etc
    That sales guy is an idiot.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I just don't see how a TTV6 will have less than 420hp in a V series vehicle...
    Expect the M3 to be around 420 hp. They also claim 240 for their 2.0L Turbo, which is faster in a straight line then the ATS 2.0L 270 hp. Is it the DCT in the BMW helping it along? Regardless, the ATS-V needs 420 at the very least just to loook good on paper. Even then it still might be slower then the M3 with the same advertised hp. An M3 with a DCT and an extra 40 hp will murder the ATS-V with 380 hp and a slushbox. The C63 will most likely get the TTV8, tho it might get the N/A V8. You can be certain it wont be under 400 hp. I cannot accept that Cadillac would fail that hard anymore. This is just another guess from a magazine looking for hits a la Motortrends repetitive claim that the new 'vette would get a 5.5L, regardless of how many times people tried to tell them they were wrong.

  10. #9
    rand49er's Avatar
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Lyon, MI
    Age
    65
    Posts
    13,183

    Re: Cadillac ATS-V On the Way, Will Get Twin-Turbocharged V-6 according Car & Driver

    Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    ... Expect the M3 to be around 420 hp. They also claim 240 for their 2.0L Turbo, which is faster in a straight line then the ATS 2.0L 270 hp. Is it the DCT in the BMW helping it along? Regardless, the ATS-V needs 420 at the very least just to loook good on paper. Even then it still might be slower then the M3 with the same advertised hp. An M3 with a DCT and an extra 40 hp will murder the ATS-V with 380 hp and a slushbox. The C63 will most likely get the TTV8, tho it might get the N/A V8. You can be certain it wont be under 400 hp. I cannot accept that Cadillac would fail that hard anymore. This is just another guess from a magazine looking for hits a la Motortrends repetitive claim that the new 'vette would get a 5.5L, regardless of how many times people tried to tell them they were wrong.
    Well stated.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

  11. #10
    BEarle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Escalade
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    27
    Posts
    621
    That's what said, it didn't make sense whatsoever

  12. #11
    Hoosier Daddy's Avatar
    Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Winchestertonfieldville, AZ
    Posts
    3,059

    Re: Cadillac ATS-V On the Way, Will Get Twin-Turbocharged V-6 according Car & Driver

    Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    And TT V-6's don't get significantly better gas mileage than the V-8's they're replacing. Example: Ford "Ecoboost" only gets 1 mpg better than the V-8. Another reason to squash the insect.

    Jud
    I don't know if you've driven both but the ecoboost is quicker and has better torque down low. I'd still chose it even if it had worse mileage than the 5.0 V8.

    ----------

    I agree the ATS-V needs more than 380 HP but whoever wrote that article doesn't have a clue about what makes a performance car. The GM V8s are much heavier than the turbo V6 would be. Yet they say the reason GM won't put a V8 in is it would steal sales from another model? I might not buy a 380 HP ATS-V but I sure wouldn't buy one that didn't have a near 50-50 weight distribution either.

    I don't know if the current V6 would be able to put out 400+ HP but A 3.6 turbo V6 certainly could. A 3.6 with the same HP per CC as the 2.0 would put out nearly 500 HP. And no NA V8 with similar HP can match the low RPM torque of a turbo that was done right.

  13. #12
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    48,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    I don't know if you've driven both but the ecoboost is quicker and has better torque down low. I'd still chose it even if it had worse mileage than the 5.0 V8.

    ----------

    I agree the ATS-V needs more than 380 HP but whoever wrote that article doesn't have a clue about what makes a performance car. The GM V8s are much heavier than the turbo V6 would be. Yet they say the reason GM won't put a V8 in is it would steal sales from another model? I might not buy a 380 HP ATS-V but I sure wouldn't buy one that didn't have a near 50-50 weight distribution either.

    I don't know if the current V6 would be able to put out 400+ HP but A 3.6 turbo V6 certainly could. A 3.6 with the same HP per CC as the 2.0 would put out nearly 500 HP. And no NA V8 with similar HP can match the low RPM torque of a turbo that was done right.
    No, you are very much mistaken. The LS motors are about even with a large, DOHC V6. Add turbos and plumbing?

    As for an Ecoboost V6 vs a Coyote V8, I'll take the V8 anytime. If the TTV6 has any torque advantage over the Coyote, that's great early in 1st. From then, the high-revving and torque from the V8 rules it all over...

    ----------

    And I've got extensive seat time with a new SHO on Brainerd's road course. I'll take the Coyote V8...


    -- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)


Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting