Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6 in Cadillac V-Series Forums; The ATS-V might not be getting a V8 or TT 3.0 after all. Now it looks like GM is favoring ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6

The ATS-V might not be getting a V8 or TT 3.0 after all. Now it looks like GM is favoring a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6. More displacement (over the 3.0) certainly doesn't bother me. What I wonder now is if it'll be a true twin turbo or a twin "scroll" turbo...

The CTS and XTS will still be getting the 3.0 liter twin turbo V6 engine...
    rand49er and rand49er like this.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6

I was under the impression twin scroll turbos were more efficient. I would prefer to see a biturbo; a small turbo to prevent lag, and a big honkin turbo for that boost.

If it's not a biturbo system, they better incorporate no-lift-shift with the manual, otherwise there will be no way to maintain boost.

All things considered, I would still rather have an NA V8. But I would also like 30 mpg. Perhaps the ATS-V is not my next car.

Since I'm much less of a fan of BMW's twin turbo rather than their single turbo, I hope Cadillac uses the twin turbo method. Then again, the Grand National was a good example of what can be done from a production single turbo. I just still have the twin turbo Supra, RX7 and 300ZX in my head... Oh, and the 335i.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Sure hope you're correct about the 3.6. That extra 600 cc will be felt and appreciated.

So, the discussion above is centered around the type of twin-turbo setup it would have. Personally, I think of a biturbo setup as being more complicated, and my money is on GM shying away from something like that for that very reason.

A TT3.6. Interesting. 425 hp would be even more interesting.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I was under the impression twin scroll turbos were more efficient. I would prefer to see a biturbo; a small turbo to prevent lag, and a big honkin turbo for that boost.

If it's not a biturbo system, they better incorporate no-lift-shift with the manual, otherwise there will be no way to maintain boost.

All things considered, I would still rather have an NA V8. But I would also like 30 mpg. Perhaps the ATS-V is not my next car.
    the twin K03 APB in the S4 had plenty of power everywhere. You don't need a sequential turbo engine these days. I would prefer a twin parallel style myself. Maybe even a scorpion sytle.

personally, since I grew up with a TTV6, I wouldn't mind going back to one, espically if we're talking about 20+mpg combined or so. I have a feeling $5 Gas this summer will be pretty painful in the 15mpg V.

The only turbo I have driven in the last 10 years is a GTI. It has one small turbo. It suffers from no lag that I could tell. But it also runs out of breath as it approaches redline. I understand these modern twin turbo systems are much better than the last one I drove (an old 90s Talon) But I will still need to drive one to set my mind at ease.

LS3 MN6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm not happy. I'd prefer the V8.

But if the next M3 is going this way (and all reports say it is) then you can't really fault them.
    concorso and concorso like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LS3 MN6 View Post
    I'm not happy. I'd prefer the V8.

But if the next M3 is going this way (and all reports say it is) then you can't really fault them.
    exactly, I really hate to admit it too, but fuel economy is going to start to play a bigger role in sports sedans espically(since heavy cars+ big engines is always a bad recipie), and when people start to pay $100(which is only a few years away at this rate) to fill-up their LSA every 220 miles, people will get over a V8 real quick.

Personally, I like getting good fuel economy, but there's lot of oil ... TONS of it. Any scarcity is artificial. But, artificial or not, it's "real" if you can't pipe it in and you can't drill for and those that have it want to raise the price. Getting 30 MPG highway effortlessly and do 0-60 in under 5 sec plus pull in excess of 0.9 Gs around corners is a decent future all considered.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Well, the LSA is extreme. The V1 and tall gearing could get mid-high 20s all day long. A turbo V6 will drink fuel just as quickly when flogged...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Well, the LSA is extreme. The V1 and tall gearing could get mid-high 20s all day long. A turbo V6 will drink fuel just as quickly when flogged...
    It's when you're not flogging it that I care about.

It'll have a pretty decent drag coefficient with a slightly smaller frontal area compared to a Gen 1 CTS (good for highway MPG), and the low weight will help with city MPG. With DI, VVT, and a small (vs a V8) displacement, 30 MPG hwy while not flogging would seem a cinch.

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    It'll have a pretty decent drag coefficient with a slightly smaller frontal area compared to a Gen 1 CTS (good for highway MPG), and the low weight will help with city MPG. With DI, VVT, and a small (vs a V8) displacement, 30 MPG hwy while not flogging would seem a cinch.
    30 is probably a pipe dream stock, but 25-27 is realistic, I could see 30 with big turbos.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    It's when you're not flogging it that I care about.
    This is why a turbo V6 is a better choice, in my opinion. I've noticed that when driving a turbo V6 lightly all the time, I get noticeably better gas milage compared to driving a V8 lightly all the time. When driving aggressively, both are about the same. This brings me to the conclusion that a forced injected car will give you better gas mileage over the long run unless you're ALWAYS driving aggressively.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    30 is probably a pipe dream stock, but 25-27 is realistic, I could see 30 with big turbos.
    I am getting 24 right now with my 4000lb 6.2L Camaro. If I work it, I can get 25. So a V6 ATS-V has to be better than 27.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.