Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6 - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6 in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept This is already a focus group. Didn't you know? All your posts are being recorded for ...
    JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept
    This is already a focus group. Didn't you know? All your posts are being recorded for posterity.
    There needs to be a dialogue between potential customers, also car guys, and marketing and engineering types, for the "V's"; other cars don't really need that as the lowest common denominator is sufficient. If it's important to really stay ahead in the super sedan market, outside advice could be helpful to Cadillac.

Jud
    Jud

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6

The guys deciding this stuff know exactly what we think and want. However, they have to sell whatever they decide to the brass, and that's the tough part.
    M5eater and M5eater like this.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    The guys deciding this stuff know exactly what we think and want. However, they have to sell whatever they decide to the brass, and that's the tough part.
    I'm sure this battle has raged since the ATS-V was a little glimmer in an engineers eye.

The bottom line is trying to convince the people that matter which is the better sale.

Do we use our brand-spanking new, twin turbo V6 to match BMW's Tri-turbo N54, or play it safe and use the LT1.

Well, Cadillac could even face competition from the Chevy SS if an LSA or other stronger version is offered, a 6 or 7 speed manual becomes available, and the ATS-V winds up with any kind of V6 instead of a V8. I know that I would consider an SS under those circumstances.

Jud
    Jud

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    Well, Cadillac could even face competition from the Chevy SS if an LSA or other stronger version is offered, a 6 or 7 speed manual becomes available, and the ATS-V winds up with any kind of V6 instead of a V8. I know that I would consider an SS under those circumstances.

Jud
    The SS isn't going to cannibalize any worthwhile ATS-V sales.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater

The SS isn't going to cannibalize any worthwhile ATS-V sales.
    The question is what is "worthwhile"; some think that any 6 cyl. is caca in an American super sedan.
    Jud

The question is what is "worthwhile"; some think that any 6 cyl. is caca in an American super sedan.
    I don't know of anyone that picks a car based solely on it's engine. Except you.

There's also the irony in that you claim people are going to want a larger car when the car you're comparing it to was created specifically because people didn't want a bigger car?

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I don't know of anyone that picks a car based solely on it's engine. Except you.
    Add to your list:

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock11 View Post
    Wow am I in a pickle,, I just love the ATS and really want to look into buying one, HOWEVER, I would have to let my 1999 Olds Aurora go.
    Wonderful BIG car ride with a 4.0 V8 that will scat. ... Wow, do I want to give it up? If I have to trade down ( and it is) to a 2.0 - 4 cylinder (Just 1/2 of what I have)

And the List grows. Damn those cubes.

bruff1977 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

http://www.gm.com/content/gmcom/home...-turbo.gm.html

This presser places the TTV6 in the XTS Vsport. Just to facilitate more discussion, take a look at this statement from the release:

'In both the CTS and XTS product lines, the twin turbo will be the centerpiece of a new model offering called Vsport. The new Vsport is inspired by and slotted “underneath” Cadillac’s elite high-performance V-Series models. Vsport includes the best-performing technical elements inside the “regular” car line in a single model, headlined by Twin Turbo engine.'

I'll try to break it down:

'In both the CTS and XTS product lines the twin turbo will be the centerpiece of a new model offering called Vsport.' -- Could the Vsport just be offered for these two vehicles at least for 2014?

'The new Vsport is inspired by and slotted “underneath” Cadillac’s elite high-performance V-Series models.' -- Why underneath in quotation marks? Possible sharing of components, to include powertrain perhaps.

'Vsport includes the best-performing technical elements inside the “regular” car line in a single model, headlined by Twin Turbo engine.' -- Headlined. Across ALL Vsport models I suppose?

This press release really keeps my hopes up high for a V8 powered ATS-V. I probably have about fifteen months to save up.

pissedoffwookiee is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by bruff1977 View Post
    http://www.gm.com/content/gmcom/home...-turbo.gm.html

This presser places the TTV6 in the XTS Vsport. Just to facilitate more discussion, take a look at this statement from the release:

'In both the CTS and XTS product lines, the twin turbo will be the centerpiece of a new model offering called Vsport. The new Vsport is inspired by and slotted “underneath” Cadillac’s elite high-performance V-Series models. Vsport includes the best-performing technical elements inside the “regular” car line in a single model, headlined by Twin Turbo engine.'

I'll try to break it down:

'In both the CTS and XTS product lines the twin turbo will be the centerpiece of a new model offering called Vsport.' -- Could the Vsport just be offered for these two vehicles at least for 2014?

'The new Vsport is inspired by and slotted “underneath” Cadillac’s elite high-performance V-Series models.' -- Why underneath in quotation marks? Possible sharing of components, to include powertrain perhaps.

'Vsport includes the best-performing technical elements inside the “regular” car line in a single model, headlined by Twin Turbo engine.' -- Headlined. Across ALL Vsport models I suppose?

This press release really keeps my hopes up high for a V8 powered ATS-V. I probably have about fifteen months to save up.
    to me the evidence points to the TTV6, the ATS is in lockstep with the 3 series, if the new M3 retained the V8, then maybe, but look at the boxes the TTV6 ticks off that play into the overall goals for this car:

light weight?

check

next M3 probably an inline 6

check

better fuel economy than a 400HP V8?

check

under 500HP so as not to have power to weigh ratio better than CTS-V?

check

fully modern overhead cam anti muscle car engine befitting a euro fighting cadillac?

check

will the TTV6 help retain near 50/50 weight balance?

check

is that engine ready to go?

check, check

Could they do a V8 sure, the alpha platform that underpins the ATS was designed for a V8 too, but that is for the next gen Camaro, and it seems to me to fit the marketing of the brands high tech ponies (caddy) vs traditional muscle ponies (chevy)

I would rather see a TTV6 for the tuning potential (woo hoo 500hp software upgrade here we come)

Sure, blow it until it breaks. Who really cares about what the Germans are doing; how about their reliability beyond the warranty period? GM is better than that. This is a production car; anyone can over-stress a production engine and disclaim responsibility. Why not use a V8 which is a successful formula? I'm sure that GM engineers are smarter than the average forum member.

Jud
    Jud

al pettee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V Sedan

...I hope that GM is smarter than the average forum member....

Jud
    Unfortunately, they aren't....

Quote Originally Posted by al pettee

Unfortunately, they aren't....
    Wow! where's the proof, let's have it?
    Jud

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    to me the evidence points to the TTV6, the ATS is in lockstep with the 3 series, if the new M3 retained the V8, then maybe, but look at the boxes the TTV6 ticks off that play into the overall goals for this car:
    40hp short? check

No performance heritage or reputation at all? check

Most plebeian engine architecture possible compared to BMW's legendary inline six? check

Fuel economy compared apples-to-apples with the LT1 not demonstrated nor proven? check

Weight and overall packaging compared apples-to-apples with the LT1 unknown? check

LT1 ready to go with 40hp more than the TTV6? check

The superiority of the TTV6 is far from a foregone conclusion.

.Jinx

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.