Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6 - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6 in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by JimmyH I am getting 24 right now with my 4000lb 6.2L Camaro. If I work it, I ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Re: Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I am getting 24 right now with my 4000lb 6.2L Camaro. If I work it, I can get 25. So a V6 ATS-V has to be better than 27.
    I got the same performance out of my 335i that you're getting out of your Camaro SS. I got 24 miles per gallon with hardly ANY highway driving and mostly aggressive driving. You're doing a heck of a lot of highway driving.
    M5eater and M5eater like this.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I am almost ALL highway.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

I am almost ALL highway.
    There are high and lows to every EPA estimated figure if you read the fine print. I would bet most people will fall between 25-27 highway in a turbo ATS, it's all just guesses at this point anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if the EPA's high-end estimate for the ATS turbo is nearly 30mpg, just like the SS you drive actually *can* get better than 24.

Most of the guys I know are getting 20 on the highway. Of course, I am sure it's because they can't keep their foot out of it. After filling up and resetting, I usually get 28 from the gas station to my office. But, by the time I complete my round trip it's usually down to 24. Been more like the 22-23 lately with extreme cold.

Most of the guys I know are getting 20 on the highway. Of course, I am sure it's because they can't keep their foot out of it. After filling up and resetting, I usually get 28 from the gas station to my office. But, by the time I complete my round trip it's usually down to 24. Been more like the 22-23 lately with extreme cold.
    25-27 is still a vast improvement on what's currently available, even if it's not great by other car's.
    M3; 14/20
    C63; 13/19
    CTS-V 12/18 or 14/19
    IS-F 16/23
    B7 RS4 13/20

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Drove my wife's '12 SRX (3.6L 6AT) to Sandusky, OH and back this past week. This was my first opportunity to see what it could get. Got 24.2 MPG at a steady 68 MPH over about 200 miles. Though we consisted of two adults and two kids plus all the luggage that would fit, I realize weight is not a big factor at constant speeds, but I had hoped for it to do better. Not sure what the Cd is on it, but it's gotta be > 0.30.

So, now that I think about it, maybe 30 MPG in a TT3.6 ATS-V is a bit optimistic afterall.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Here's a thread in gminsidenews about the TT3.6 plausibly putting out "in excess of 400" hp and is the probable engine for the ATS-V:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/blown-gm-working-two-twin-turbo-v6s-109058/

O
    ne poster predicted a TT3.6 making 425-480 hp. Works for me.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by M5eater

30 is probably a pipe dream stock, but 25-27 is realistic, I could see 30 with big turbos.
    Well, with 3400-3500lbs, a more aerodynamic body and more advanced technology, I would think 30mpg would be doable.

My V1 with 3850lbs, an unaerodynamic body and a V8 would get 26mpg all day long on the highway...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Here's a thread in gminsidenews about the TT3.6 plausibly putting out "in excess of 400" hp and is the probable engine for the ATS-V:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/blown-gm-working-two-twin-turbo-v6s-109058/

O
    ne poster predicted a TT3.6 making 425-480 hp. Works for me.
    I believe even the TT 3.0 was over 400 horsepower...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    I believe even the TT 3.0 was over 400 horsepower...
    Isn't it really purely a function of the boost level ... the peak power rating, I mean? Boost the snot out of it, and you keep getting more and more power. The only real tradeoff (besides cost) is motor longevity which was hinted at as being an issue in one post in that thread. SB LS motors have raised the bar to stratospheric heights as far as durability goes.

Tailoring the turbo to get the best compromise between lag and top-end performance is another, related aspect.

I still question the longevity of these highly boosted motors. Randy, aren't you worried what the maggie will do to your internals over the long run?

----------

Your LS6's internals, I mean

I still question the longevity of these highly boosted motors. Randy, aren't you worried what the maggie will do to your internals over the long run?

----------

Your LS6's internals, I mean
    My personal internals are doing just fine.

There's no question that if average cylinder pressures run high due to high throttle openings and times of boost over the life of the motor, it would put increased stress on wrist pin bearings, on rod bearings, on piston skirts and rings, and probably on main bearings. In my case, I really don't spend a lot of time at boost conditions, so I don't really feel my motor is detrimentally affected especially with good oil pressure and fresh Mobil 1 in it all the time.

In another example, if you look at guys like ronr who has 70k maggied miles on his LS6 and drives more frequently while under boost conditions (i.e. "spirited") than I do, that might be something to look at. But, I'd bet his motor goes close to 200k miles before he needs a rebuild, but that's because it's a proven LS motor design. We're talking here about a 3.6L V6 that's almost exclusively found in passenger cars, and I'd be concerned that there is less known about this design under severe operating conditions than LS motors in general. I would hope that GM has flogged the piss out of this motor and has addressed any weak points in it before sending it out into the public with a couple of turbos slapped on it to be flogged by all of us.

Anybody follow common issues with the 3.6 motor? I have not myself, so I'm all ears.

Looking in the 2nd gen CTS forums, there are not many complaints about the engine, other than the premature timing chain wear problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH
    Looking in the 2nd gen CTS forums, there are not many complaints about the engine, other than the premature timing chain wear problem.
    Not to change the subject but speaking of the timing chain/belt (whatever is in there) situation. My brother in law has 10,000 miles on his 2008 or 2009 CTS sedan and at a recent service noticed that Cadillac adjusted something to do with, I believe timing, and mentioned something about the belt/chain on the invoice - and the car had been noticeably slower since. Has GM "fixed" this potential issue by making the car weaker? Is there already a discussion going on in reference to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    Not to change the subject but speaking of the timing chain/belt (whatever is in there) situation. My brother in law has 10,000 miles on his 2008 or 2009 CTS sedan and at a recent service noticed that Cadillac adjusted something to do with, I believe timing, and mentioned something about the belt/chain on the invoice - and the car had been noticeably slower since. Has GM "fixed" this potential issue by making the car weaker? Is there already a discussion going on in reference to this?
    sounds to me like it's off by a tooth or two.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.