Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6 - Page 18
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6 in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I'm not buying any of this crap or accepting a less worthy engine. If GM doesn't come forth with a ...
    JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    I'm not buying any of this crap or accepting a less worthy engine. If GM doesn't come forth with a V8 and the TR6070, I won't buy it, and maybe others will reject that flakey excuse for a V engine, too.

Jud
    Jud

nachopappyscaddy is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    You've got too be kidding me. You can't possibly be that ignorant to think that only a v8 is a worthy engine. If so you probably have the wrong car and the wrong forum. The purpose of designing the ATS in the first place was to build a modern luxury performance sports sedan to compete with the rest of the world, namely BMW. Your backward thinking and traditionalist philosophy is the very reason why cadillac has been stuck in the Stone Age for so long when it comes to this competitive class of automobile. You need to buy yourself either a comfortable STS or a used c5 corvette and stay away from this category of car completely. I agree the LS motor is one of the greatest motors ever designed and it has many great uses, but if you have followed the luxury sports sedan market for any length of time you would know that you can't be afraid to try new things.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6

Quote Originally Posted by nachopappyscaddy View Post
    You've got too be kidding me. You can't possibly be that ignorant to think that only a v8 is a worthy engine.
    Everybody has the right to say what is worthy for them......... no matter how off base they may be. LoL

Quote Originally Posted by nachopappyscaddy
    You've got too be kidding me. You can't possibly be that ignorant to think that only a v8 is a worthy engine. If so you probably have the wrong car and the wrong forum. The purpose of designing the ATS in the first place was to build a modern luxury performance sports sedan to compete with the rest of the world, namely BMW. Your backward thinking and traditionalist philosophy is the very reason why cadillac has been stuck in the Stone Age for so long when it comes to this competitive class of automobile. You need to buy yourself either a comfortable STS or a used c5 corvette and stay away from this category of car completely. I agree the LS motor is one of the greatest motors ever designed and it has many great uses, but if you have followed the luxury sports sedan market for any length of time you would know that you can't be afraid to try new things.
    We all have the right to our opinions, even you, infantile ranting notwithstanding. You probably aren't old enough to know any better, so you get a free pass for youthful ignorance.

Jud
    Jud

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Latest issue of Motor Trend, in the "Motor Trend Confidential" section,

"He [Mark Reuss] confirmed that the Alpha architecture underpinnig the ATS is designed to accept a V-8. Hello, ATS-V."

I say "hello, Camaro," but this statement does give me a little hope. The only reason ATS-V isn't an option for me is if there is no V8 in it. We shall see.

roadpie4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3

Alpha being "protected" for a V8 isn't news - that's been an accepted part of the plan for a long time now - well over a year. In truth, alpha was package protected for every car engine GM made and had in the production plan for the next decade. But that doesn't mean anything for either the ATS or CTS. Just because the chassis is capable of it on a drawing board doesn't mean variations can't eliminate certain options.

And it's not just a matter of the physical engine - it's the transmission tunnel. Rear cradle. Cooling package. Suspension mount locations. Etc. The CTS's front end and grille the size of a semi? Not for no reason. The TTV6 makes a lot of heat, and the engine in the CTS-V is going to make even more.

The engine for the ATS-V has already been decided, and it'll be finally be public knowledge in a couple months. Till then, we might as well just cool our heels and wait.

If it's a TTv6, that will disenfranchise some people - and that's not great but it's not bad. Look how many "Cadillac loyalists" hated the CTS and now ATS. Look how the "new Cadillac" enthusiasts hate the XTS saying a FWD barge was a bad move. GM can't please everyone - but I think if we're honest and unbiased and look at the sales data... Cadillac is doing better than they have in a LONG time. Not perfect, and still with growing pains, but better.

If it's a V8 in the ATS-V, that's going to have other consequences - but most gear heads will applaud the decision. We, here, are the minority - make no mistake otherwise despite what anyone thinks.
    RippyPartsDept and JFJr like this.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by nachopappyscaddy View Post
    ... Your backward thinking and traditionalist philosophy is the very reason why cadillac has been stuck in the Stone Age for so long when it comes to this competitive class of automobile ...
    The "Stone Age" ended over ten years ago for Cadillac with the Gen 1 CTS-V, a still very competitive car. Just ask those of us who drive them, LS-powered or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Latest issue of Motor Trend, in the "Motor Trend Confidential" section,

"He [Mark Reuss] confirmed that the Alpha architecture underpinnig the ATS is designed to accept a V-8. Hello, ATS-V."

I say "hello, Camaro," but this statement does give me a little hope. The only reason ATS-V isn't an option for me is if there is no V8 in it. We shall see.
    I'm thinking the Alpha design was most likely intended to allow the CTS-V (which is on the extended Alpha platform) to accept a V8 of some sort and not necessarily the ATS-V. Nothing is excluded.

Quote Originally Posted by roadpie4u View Post
    ... The engine for the ATS-V has already been decided, and it'll be finally be public knowledge in a couple of months ...
    Agreed. And it most likely will be the TTV6. And why not? With the new CTS Vsport going like 4.4 sec 0-60, the ATS-V at as much as a couple hundred pounds less should crowd 4 sec flat. Not too shabby.

Plus, GM wants (my guess) the big dog CTS-V to be the top performer, so it can't put a 450-500 hp motor in the ATS-V and have it outperform a 550 hp CTS-V. However, if GM follows BMW's precedent of the M3 and M5 having similar 0-60 times, "my guess" could be wrong ... and everybody will be happy.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by roadpie4u View Post
    If it's a V8 in the ATS-V, that's going to have other consequences - but most gear heads will applaud the decision.
    If a n/a V8 weighs about the same or less (and with a lower center of gravity) than the TTV6, generates less heat under the hood and provides better performance, why wouldn't it be the logical choice? If fuel economy is an issue, the TTV6 might do better cruising on the highway at a constant moderate speed, but when driving aggressively, no. And like you said, it's not just the engine. I have high hopes for the availability of the new Tremec 6070 which is standard in the C7. Hopefully, there's enough room for it. The combination would make for a fantastic ATS-V in the American tradition.
    Jud

Jfjr, there is no actual legitimate reason to put the ttv6 in the ats-v.

You could argue that the engine is available, but so is the LT1.

You could argue that BMW is doing it but then you're just being a follower, and unoriginal. There's more than one way to skin a cat. BMW is expecting others to follow suit with a ttv6 so there's no reason we can't say nope, you go ahead and do that, and stick with a v8 and blow them out of the water. You know what I'd really love to see? I'd love to see the atsv with a v8 absolutely walk away from the m3 with its v6 and cause BMW to put a v8 in the next m3. Let them follow us. Convince them that v8 is in fact the way to go.

You could argue fuel economy but you'd just be kidding yourself. Look at the f150 with the ecoboost v6. Truth is, the only benefit to the v6 is that you can say you have a v6 and sound Eco friendly.

You could argue weight but you wouldn't actually be basing that on hard facts at this point. You'd just be speculating and the truth is, with the small block being a smaller engine dimensionally than the DOHC v6, plus the LT1's lack of forced induction hardware, the weight of the engines will be very similar.

You could say that the car will do 60 in 4 seconds, but I guarantee the m3 will do it sooner.

You could say that we don't want the atsv to outrun the ctsv but then you're just shooting yourself in the foot. You're not allowing the atsv to effectively compete with the m3 because you're forcing it to take a back seat to the ctsv. The new e63 does 60 in 3.3 seconds. The new ctsv needs to be no slower than 3.5. If Cadillac does it right, the ats needs to do it in 3.5 as well to compete with the c63 and m3. Sorry but if the ats does it in 4 secs.. A 335i can run with it. No good.

----------

Oh and if the 7 speed isn't put in the atsv, Cadillac will really have missed the boat.

----------

Regardless, I'm pretty convinced that ttv6 is going to go into the atsv unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio
    Jfjr, there is no actual legitimate reason to put the ttv6 in the ats-v. You could argue that the engine is available, but so is the LT1. You could argue that BMW is doing it but then you're just being a follower, and unoriginal. There's more than one way to skin a cat. BMW is expecting others to follow suit with a ttv6 so there's no reason we can't say nope, you go ahead and do that, and stick with a v8 and blow them out of the water. You know what I'd really love to see? I'd love to see the atsv with a v8 absolutely walk away from the m3 with its v6 and cause BMW to put a v8 in the next m3. Let them follow us. Convince them that v8 is in fact the way to go. You could argue fuel economy but you'd just be kidding yourself. Look at the f150 with the ecoboost v6. Truth is, the only benefit to the v6 is that you can say you have a v6 and sound Eco friendly. You could argue weight but you wouldn't actually be basing that on hard facts at this point. You'd just be speculating and the truth is, with the small block being a smaller engine dimensionally than the DOHC v6, plus the LT1's lack of forced induction hardware, the weight of the engines will be very similar. You could say that the car will do 60 in 4 seconds, but I guarantee the m3 will do it sooner. You could say that we don't want the atsv to outrun the ctsv but then you're just shooting yourself in the foot. You're not allowing the atsv to effectively compete with the m3 because you're forcing it to take a back seat to the ctsv. The new e63 does 60 in 3.3 seconds. The new ctsv needs to be no slower than 3.5. If Cadillac does it right, the ats needs to do it in 3.5 as well to compete with the c63 and m3. Sorry but if the ats does it in 4 secs.. A 335i can run with it. No good. ---------- Oh and if the 7 speed isn't put in the atsv, Cadillac will really have missed the boat. ---------- Regardless, I'm pretty convinced that ttv6 is going to go into the atsv unfortunately.
    I have no doubt that the V3 will be a little quicker than than the ATS-V, regardless of a n/a V8 in the ATS-V. I think that we have a lot of German car drones on this forum, that probably couldn't afford this or any other comparable car. Hopefully, Cadillac will realize that it is a leader and not a follower. Otherwise, it is an opportunity missed. They need us to help. Ha haa!
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.
    Jud

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Let me say at the outset that I'd love to see a V8 in the ATS-V ... with FI, no less.

BUT, if GM has to do that to beat a V6/I6 M3, it will be viewed as a weakness on the part of American ingenuity and capability. No ... if GM does do the TTV6, it should be dialed up closer to 500 hp, because I'm thinking Guy is correct. It needs to do better than 4.0 0-60 ... as well as beat it in handling, ride, styling, interior, amenities, etc, etc, AND price.

Are we really going to have to wait till the Detroit Auto Show in January all while we beat this subject to death?
    RippyPartsDept likes this.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Ancient Mariner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    ...Are we really going to have to wait till the Detroit Auto Show in January all while we beat this subject to death?
    Well it makes for more interesting discussion than the latest exterior colour choices and CUE upgrades at least LOL!

Hahaha are there cue upgrades?!?

Even though it would be a Cadillac na v8 vs a BMW v6 with forced induction, yes I agree that it will be viewed as a v6 and a v8 on the same playing field. There are just so many benefits of n/a that are enthusiast friendly. High revving, linear torque curve, SOUND!!!!!!!!, ahh... So helpless. It's so gonna be the v6.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Not to mention a lot cooler under the hood without twin turbos.

Yeah, I'm tired of reading about yet another BMW variation. What's next, a 4.5 series? How about an X3 convertible?
    Jud

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.