Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6 - Page 16
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6 in Cadillac V-Series Forums; 1le>z28...
    1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    1le>z28

bruff1977 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Ls7 > ls3

4th gen fbody > 5th gen alpha

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6

what's a 5th gen alpha ?
    bruff1977 likes this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Isn't the 5th gen Camaro based on a modified alpha frame?[COLOR="Silver"]

----------

Correction

Sorry confused. 6th gen alpha 5th gen zeta

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

ok ... that makes more sense
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    The Z28 doesn't interest you at all?

I'm half contemplating another trade-in when those hit shelves.

The thing comes standard with audio and a/c delete.
    Not for the $60k they are gonna want for it. Not including the inevitible market adjustment. Besides the z/28 is a track car. I need a commuter car.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    4th gen fbody > __________
    Fill in the blank with whatever you want and it will always be false.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Not for the $60k they are gonna want for it. Not including the inevitible market adjustment. Besides the z/28 is a track car. I need a commuter car.
    it's using some pretty revolutionary suspension. I bet it will be just fine as a DD, but I agree on pricing. I suspect this thing will be in the 65K range, maybe closer to 70K OTD. I need to find me a 2+2 to replace the corvette though.

Damn thing is too impractical, and I'm an impulse buyer, which doesn't mix when I take it up to the outlet mall and realize 'oh, I can't buy this because corvette'.

when did you get rid of your V?

I know the Z/28 is gonna be amazing. It's gonna be mopping up mustangs everywhere. And bet you are right. Probably closer to $70k. One of those blogs got a snippet from some supposed GM insider who said it will cost more than the ZL1.

I am not sure I agree about it being a decent commuter car. It's gonna ride like a truck I bet. And those tires will be lucky to reach 15k miles. And that front spoiler; you will need a spotter every parking lot you enter.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    when did you get rid of your V?

I know the Z/28 is gonna be amazing. It's gonna be mopping up mustangs everywhere. And bet you are right. Probably closer to $70k. One of those blogs got a snippet from some supposed GM insider who said it will cost more than the ZL1.

I am not sure I agree about it being a decent commuter car. It's gonna ride like a truck I bet. And those tires will be lucky to reach 15k miles. And that front spoiler; you will need a spotter every parking lot you enter.
    A couple of months ago.

I know the Z/28 is gonna be amazing. It's gonna be mopping up mustangs everywhere. And bet you are right. Probably closer to $70k. One of those blogs got a snippet from some supposed GM insider who said it will cost more than the ZL1
    The GM person with jay Lenno mentioned that also. Maybe in a few years I might get lucky and pickup one in the mid 30s or low 40s, but I suspect they're going to be difficult to find. I would be shocked if they moved more than 2K of these annually.

I'm sure it'll still be plenty harsh, but I bet no worse than a current gen c6z or ZR1. With A/C and a radio added back in, I can't imagine it being as unbearable as my miata I tried to drive around with poly bushings. We're still talking about a 3700lb car.

LS7 aside (and I admit that's a point that is VERY hard to push aside) I would rather build up the suspension on my SS than buy a Z/28. Pedders has pretty much a complete kit that will likely blow away the 1LE and even the Z/28 itself from a pure handling standpoint. But I would imagine their kit would be even worse for ride quality than either.

What I would love to do is get rid of the SUV wheels and tires and go to a smaller wheel with a lower profile tire. Take about 2-3" off the overall diameter. And cut 150 lbs of unsprung weight in the process. That alone would improve both ride and handling. Problem is that I would have to change the rear end to compensate for the higher revs and fuel consumption.

In the end, I will likely just wait for the Buick Grand National. If it's a ~$30k ATS turbo, I'm all in.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    I would love the LS7 in the ATS-V and I would be willing to pay extra since it is a hand-built engine. If it is going in the Z28, it might make business sense, too. And the best part is that it wouldn't have the DOD and stop-engine-off crap. Paired with the TR6070, highway mileage could be in the mid-to-high 20's. Recall that the LS6 went into the first 2 model years of the initial generation of the CTS-V, so there's precedent. Then we wouldn't have to worry with the embarrassment of a buzzy 6 cylinder engine in a true "V."

Jud
    Jud

Well that is just the thing. With the 6th gen Camaro coming, it doesn't make sense to put a big V8 in the ATS.
    Of course there is alot of talk of a revived GNX. If the ATS-V bows with a TT3.6, and then they bring on the GNX with the same engine, they will have to make sure the ATS-V has more power. At that point, either a higher output V6, or maybe then an LS. I just don't see it as they have stated they are competing with the M3, and an Alpha Camaro SS is coming soon.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH
    Well that is just the thing. With the 6th gen Camaro coming, it doesn't make sense to put a big V8 in the ATS.
    Of course there is alot of talk of a revived GNX. If the ATS-V bows with a TT3.6, and then they bring on the GNX with the same engine, they will have to make sure the ATS-V has more power. At that point, either a higher output V6, or maybe then an LS. I just don't see it as they have stated they are competing with the M3, and an Alpha Camaro SS is coming soon.
    Well, this is a good discussion and could go on for sometime, unless Cadillac decides to quit playing marketing games and gives its real customer base some meaningful information. The Frankfort show would be a perfect time. Ha haa! To say hello to BMW.

Jud
    Jud

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    LS7 aside (and I admit that's a point that is VERY hard to push aside) I would rather build up the suspension on my SS than buy a Z/28. Pedders has pretty much a complete kit that will likely blow away the 1LE and even the Z/28 itself from a pure handling standpoint. But I would imagine their kit would be even worse for ride quality than either.

What I would love to do is get rid of the SUV wheels and tires and go to a smaller wheel with a lower profile tire. Take about 2-3" off the overall diameter. And cut 150 lbs of unsprung weight in the process. That alone would improve both ride and handling. Problem is that I would have to change the rear end to compensate for the higher revs and fuel consumption.

In the end, I will likely just wait for the Buick Grand National. If it's a ~$30k ATS turbo, I'm all in.
    In the end, if I do ever buy another car to replace the ATS and C4 I'm sure it'll be a 2SS or something as well, I've had a GTO/ Terminator on the brain for a while, but.. dead car brand vibes are hard to shake and the termi is rocking an interior and unibody from 96.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.