Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6 - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6 in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hopefully no more than 3600 lbs. Please!...
    bruff1977 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Hopefully no more than 3600 lbs. Please!

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Re: Cadillac ATS-V is probably getting a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Are you referring to a CTS V-Sport doing this? If so, at 300 lbs lighter, an LF3-equipped ATS should be a couple ticks under 4.0 sec 0-60 I'd wager.

Nice.
    yes that's the target so far for the CTS v-sport

the '14 CTS has a weight range of 3615lbs for the base to 3950lbs for the v-sport premium

the '14 ATS has a weight range of 3315lbs for the base to 3461lbs for the 3.6 premium rwd

now assuming a couple hundred pounds for turbos and overall car beefing up, and assuming the v-sport drivetrain in the ATS-v, and assuming Cadillac hits their target for speed on the CST v-sport, this bodes well for our little car being quite the rocket ship.

***disclaimer***
    for our more sensitive readers, these thoughts on the ATS-V are assumptions in this future model dreamers thread and not to be taken as fact, only to be taken as 'that could be fun' wishfull thinking. the weight figures are in fact actual taken from the autobook.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by bruff1977 View Post
    Hopefully no more than 3600 lbs. Please!
    i agree, that would be so nice

a side note, autobook has the M3 curb weight as 3704lbs

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    ... a side note, autobook has the M3 curb weight as 3704lbs
    That's encouraging, but either their hp is underrated or their drivetrain (DCT?) transmits power to the rear wheels more efficiently or (God forbid) both because, IIRC, their 0-60 times are so quick.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    That's encouraging, but either their hp is underrated or their drivetrain (DCT?) transmits power to the rear wheels more efficiently or (God forbid) both because, IIRC, their 0-60 times are so quick.
    BMW has been in the habit of underrating lately my best friends '13 M5 is rated at 560 hp but we had a laugh the other day when he told me someone in his BMW forum asked a BMW rep about the hp being a lie, and their response was a cagey "well we guaranty that you will get 560 hp no matter what, whether the weather is hot or not or any conditions" (not exact quote, i'm quoting my buddy) so we were laughing because that would mean it's pushing closer to 600 hp just to allow for hot thin air and and elevation. I know this is 'friend of a friend' hearsay but i believe it that car pulls like the hennesy 600 wagon i recently drove and harder than a stock CTS-V it's insane. i hope GM gets in the trickery game to our benefit.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

for our more sensitive readers, these thoughts on the ATS-V are assumptions in this future model dreamers thread and not to be taken as fact, only to be taken as 'that could be fun' wishfull thinking. the weight figures are in fact actual taken from the autobook.
    Nice to see you're learning the difference; you were struggling with this earlier.

Once we see full specs for the new CTS, specifically the weight difference between the 3.6 Premium and the Vsport, we'll have a better idea of how much weight to add to the ATS 3.6 Premium RWD. I think 200 lbs is a good place to start, but don't be heartbroken if it ends up being a little more; the ATS was trimmed down so much it may need more beefing up than we're used to. FWIW, the old CTS added 333 pounds to get from 3.6 Premium to V; of course, that's a bigger jump...

too bad you just can't handle opinions other than yours, it's ok, your chip your shoulder.....but you're a fellow petrol head / car nut so it's ok......car guys can be given extra latitude besides smelling too much gasoline will do that

I have the full specs will post tomorrow

oh....and a case of beer says it a ttv6

Pot, meet kettle. You're the one who went all drama queen and whipped out your life story when I disagreed with your V6 superiority checklist. The problem isn't that I can't handle your opinion, it's that I did handle it. You've been bristling with "don't criticize my comments" defensiveness poorly disguised as jokey jabs ever since. But I trust that the discussions about cars will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Pot, meet kettle. You're the one who went all drama queen and whipped out your life story when I disagreed with your V6 superiority checklist. The problem isn't that I can't handle your opinion, it's that I did handle it. You've been bristling with "don't criticize my comments" defensiveness poorly disguised as jokey jabs ever since. But I trust that the discussions about cars will continue.
    of course it will continue, but you err in your assumption that i consider the V6 superior, which is why i shared a little background showing a couple much loved v8's in my past and present (again this effort was lost on you), instead of the assertion, and my belief the v6 is right for the ATS, que será, será. as far as my being a defensive, drama queen, jokey jabber, keep on hurling these at me, it matters not, but if it strokes your ego to lob the zingers, i'm glad to be of service keep firing away, and if someone sharing some background, and some levity bothers you (as it really does seem to you keep bringing it up) as i said before, your chip, your shoulder, have fun with that.

as promised:

'14 CTS Premium 3.6 RWD - base curb weight is 3843lbs - price $64,500
    '14 CTS V-Sport - base curb weight is 3950lbs - price $59,070
    '14 CTS V-Sport - Premium base curb weight is 3950lbs - price $69,070

so a reasonable guestimate for the drivetrain upgrade and it's accouterments is 107lbs

one thing i find interesting is the $10k bump in price and equipment for the two V-Sports and no weight gain.

FWIW, the old CTS added 333 pounds to get from 3.6 Premium to V; of course, that's a bigger jump...
    subtracting the weight of the supercharger, 300 approximate pounds v8 over v6 vs 100 approximate pounds turbo v6 over na v6 bodes well for my argument, not to mention the longer block pushing the weight forward having more effect on weight balance.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    opcorn:

JFJr is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    20 paces with water pistols, guys.

Jud
    Jud

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee

of course it will continue, but you err in your assumption that i consider the V6 superior, which is why i shared a little background showing a couple much loved v8's in my past and present (again this effort was lost on you), instead of the assertion, and my belief the v6 is right for the ATS, que será, será. as far as my being a defensive, drama queen, jokey jabber, keep on hurling these at me, it matters not, but if it strokes your ego to lob the zingers, i'm glad to be of service keep firing away, and if someone sharing some background, and some levity bothers you (as it really does seem to you keep bringing it up) as i said before, your chip, your shoulder, have fun with that.

as promised:

so a reasonable guestimate for the drivetrain upgrade and it's accouterments is 107lbs

one thing i find interesting is the $10k bump in price and equipment for the two V-Sports and no weight gain.

subtracting the weight of the supercharger, 300 approximate pounds v8 over v6 vs 100 approximate pounds turbo v6 over na v6 bodes well for my argument, not to mention the longer block pushing the weight forward having more effect on weight balance.
    The Vsport Platinum has a roof... and it weighs the same? Not sure about that one.

The LT1 will not be 300 lbs over the LFX/LLT. There's an existing post with a link for the weight of the LT1 and someone commented with the weight of both versions of the V6.

Quote Originally Posted by bruff1977 View Post
    The Vsport Platinum has a roof... and it weighs the same? Not sure about that one.

The LT1 will not be 300 lbs over the LFX/LLT. There's an existing post with a link for the weight of the LT1 and someone commented with the weight of both versions of the V6.
    these are GM's numbers, and it may not have a sunroof, it's a standalone option on CTS-v and all ats I think this a nod to the segment of premium customers who need the sun off their domes. either way ill find out about this option Friday

of course it will continue, but you err in your assumption that i consider the V6 superior...
    You're trying to split hairs but your blunt instrument isn't up to the task. Recall:

to me the evidence points to the TTV6, the ATS is in lockstep with the 3 series, if the new M3 retained the V8, then maybe, but look at the boxes the TTV6 ticks off that play into the overall goals for this car:

light weight?

check

next M3 probably an inline 6

check

better fuel economy than a 400HP V8?

check

under 500HP so as not to have power to weigh ratio better than CTS-V?

check

fully modern overhead cam anti muscle car engine befitting a euro fighting cadillac?

check

will the TTV6 help retain near 50/50 weight balance?

check

is that engine ready to go?

check, check
    Better suited, superior -- in the context of an ATS-V engine choice discussion, they're the same thing. You checked off items, implying factual advantages of the TTV6 over the V8, and I questioned whether they're factual or advantages, with specific counterpoints. You didn't address them except with handwaves, including the "blunt instrument" gem which you've yet to explain. Since then you've been trying an appeal to authority with your resume and professed love of V8s. (Your effort wasn't lost, it wasn't relevant.) You can't, or won't, focus and address the points raised head-on, but you can't not have the last word, either, so you keep trying to laugh it off with disparaging remarks. It's not working. Are you going to add another layer of absurdly-ironic insults now?

Look -- I understand your stated reasons for believing that the V6 is the right choice for the ATS-V, but I do not accept them as valid and sound i.e. truthful, and it's not because I'm delusional. If you want to discuss those reasons further, cool -- we probably won't agree but might still find interesting points or at least appreciate depth of thought. If you just want move on and discuss something else, cool, but don't make a show of standing on the high road if you're not going to take it.

as promised:

Your 33lb supercharger subtraction doesn't account for the fact that the 2nd-gen CTS-V upgrades handle 556hp/550lbft; the 3rd-gen Vsport upgrades do not. The ATS-V's won't have to either, so the use of the V8 in place of the TTV6 doesn't add 200 pounds. Not to mention the NA pushrod V8's lower center of gravity

From the Camaro's weights we see the delta from the 3.6DI to the LS3 as about 80 pounds, and IIRC the Stingray press says the LT1 weighs 26 pounds more than the LS3 -- 106 pounds, neck and neck with the TTV6.

.Jinx

to me the evidence points to the TTV6, the ATS is in lockstep with the 3 series, if the new M3 retained the V8, then maybe, but look at the boxes the TTV6 ticks off that play into the overall goals for this car:
    dude get off your soap box and put away your violin you keep saying I'm implying facts but cannot decifer the words actually there, let alone acknowledge what everyone else knows that this thread is pure conjecture until the car is revealed.

to me the evidence points to the TTV6
    means in my opinion and minor bits of news/info may lead to a particular engine choice in this case the v6

the ATS is in lockstep with the 3 series
    Cadillac has stated as much, they even pinpointed the e46 as the very 3 series they benchmarked

if the new M3 retained the V8, then maybe
    if = allowing that or whether
    maybe = perhaps or uncertainty

multiple times in one post that you fixated on, I squarely put my words as my opinion let alone skipped over the implication that we discussing this in a guessing game thread can only put forth opinion, unless a poster actually making the car is here leaking info, there can be no fact. the worst you can accuse me of is having an opinion on which motor I feel is better suited for the ats-v, I never said overall one is superior over the other, and I never claimed my thoughts on the v6 were ever fact. no matter how hard you try the strongest language you'll find on this subject from me is my stating Cadillac will make the ttv6 their hero engine something they've come close to doing already with the CTS V-Sport and XTS V-Sport.

bottom line get over it

happy 4th of July

17/29 for the LT1 with a manual folks...

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/08/2...-up-to-30-mpg/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.