Cadillac ATS-V vs. BMW M3 - Motor Trend
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS-V vs. BMW M3 - Motor Trend in Cadillac V-Series Forums; http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._ats_v_bmw_m3/ "With a 3.0-liter twin-turbo V-6 whispered to be in GM's pipeline, it seems a natural choice for the ATS-V. ...
    JD03Cobra is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Platinum CTS V

Cadillac ATS-V vs. BMW M3 - Motor Trend

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._ats_v_bmw_m3/

"With a 3.0-liter twin-turbo V-6 whispered to be in GM's pipeline, it seems a natural choice for the ATS-V. The other school of thought, given GM's history, is a small-block V-8, possibly the direct-injected 5.5-liter rumored for the 2014 Corvette. Either way, expect comparable output to the M3."

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Re: Cadillac ATS-V vs. BMW M3 - Motor Trend

Thank you for posting up the article. Boy are there some silly comments...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I firmly believe MotorTrend is wrong on the 5.5L displacement. They've been told many times that the 5.5L is a race only displacement yet they still insist the next gen SBC will be 5.5L.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Jason, how does this square with your cousin testing a 3.6TT?

MT's fixation on the 5.5L V8 sounds like it might be just as misguided as it's prediction of the 3.0L being the V powerplant.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

JD03Cobra is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Platinum CTS V

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Jason, how does this square with your cousin testing a 3.6TT?

MT's fixation on the 5.5L V8 sounds like it might be just as misguided as it's prediction of the 3.0L being the V powerplant.
    He's testing the 3.6 TT...I wouldn't put too much into anything Motor Trend writes but it's sure fun to see how these two cars will eventually battle it out. If BMW goes with the V8 it certainly makes things interesting. Maybe the 5.5L is on deck as a backup plan

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

But, as 0AT E03 mentions, the 5.5L is "race only."

For sure, GM isn't testing/considering just one motor, though they may be leaning toward something, it may well come down to one-upping the competition or at least matching them.

Don't know how the rest of you guys feel, but this speculating/wishing/hoping is downright fun. We haven't yet reached the pitch of when the V2 motor was being discussed, but maybe it'll come.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

I would imagine the V is a MY2016 program and they honestly don't need to make any real decisions until just before they build "mules" in Q4, things can change.

The new V8 is still a 6.2L. That's common knowledge with everyone but the idiots at MT.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

The new BMW style is growing on me. That F30 rendering I'm sorry to say is better than the ATS rendering MT has up.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    The new BMW style is growing on me. That F30 rendering I'm sorry to say is better than the ATS rendering MT has up.
    I read about a guy having sat in both, and now driven a 3.6L (Auto) ATS and a 2.0T (Manual) ATS, and says the BMW interior is nicer, and that the ATS automatic transmission tuning (which isn't final yet, according to him) sucks...

He plans on to driving a 328i manual and a later PPV LTG ATS to make an honest judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    I read about a guy having sat in both, and now driven a 3.6L (Auto) ATS and a 2.0T (Manual) ATS, and says the BMW interior is nicer, and that the ATS automatic transmission tuning (which isn't final yet, according to him) sucks...

He plans on to driving a 328i manual and a later PPV LTG ATS to make an honest judgement.
    The ZF 8 speeds are very good transmissions, and the optional sport ZF8 speed in the 335i is almost DCT like in it's shift quick-ness. Honestly, my next car will have to be a manual or DCT, preferably the latter. Half the reason I wasn't bothered with the 6L90E is because it's so simple that some of it's short-falls can be tuned out. That won't suffice for me next time. Worse, there's no way around the fact that a conventional auto ATS-V will be at a noticeable disadvantage when it competes with the fine-tuned DCT's from BMW, Audi, Lexus and Mercedes in their next generation compacts. The only one from that list that will offer a manual will be the M3, and the latter will have very much improved transmissions by comparison in both shift quality and number of gears.

For the regular ATS I'm not sure it will matter a lot, infact it will help it in the aftermarket since as previously, the GM auto's are easier to tune and build power with. Or it might not matter at all if you figure the 'hot' tuner will be a FE3 manual 2.0T.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

That article reads like they pieced it together from blog articles.

----------

All this talk of exotic transmissions has me thinking I will never again own a car beyond its powertrain warranty.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Manuals, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Manuals, bitch.
    Want to trade cars?

I'll even throw in the midnight sapele...

seems fair to me.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

As tempting as that sounds(DAMMIT I want that midnight sapele), the TR6060 is DAMN good...

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

It is when they give you a decent clutch to operate it with.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.