Cadillac ATS-V vs. BMW M3 - Motor Trend - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS-V vs. BMW M3 - Motor Trend in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Indeed....
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: Cadillac ATS-V vs. BMW M3 - Motor Trend

Indeed.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I love Motortrend. Just when I think life is hindering me from staying up to date with the auto industry, I realize that a major publication is constantly out-to-lunch. Seriously, how long will MT continue to quote the rumors about the race 5.5L as fact, even tho GM has allready said theyre wrong. To answer my own question with another question, how long until the new small block comes out?

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

New generations of the small block usually coincide with generations of the Corvette.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    New generations of the small block usually coincide with generations of the Corvette.
    Which brings us to a good question;
    I wonder how well the LS motors will age.
    The original SBC and carbureted motors have lasted because of their simplicity and huge aftermarket for all cars up to the 90s.

The LS is more complex, but less complex than what a D/I Gen V will be.

Do you think that it'll simply evaporate into history; a victim of the world's increasingly disposable consumerism, or will it evolve, gracefully, and eventually replace the old carb'd motors for the sake of fuel efficiency and power output?

I think in 20 years, no one will care to put on in anything. Either they'll go for a good-ole carb'd motor, or fork over for a GenV or whatever iteration has the best fuel economy and highest specific output.
    concorso and concorso like this.

I don't think anyone knows, not even the manufacturers. Only one thing seems certain; the face of the automotive landscape is changing, as it always does.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    ... in 20 years ...
    I'll still be here ... posting pithy nothings, and tbjs will be up to 100k poasts.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The LS Series (Gen III and Gen IV) will be around for a while, as the Aftermarket (including GM Performance Parts) is steering people with "classic" cars to use these engines. The original LT (Gen II) has some following still.

The next gen SBC is again an LT (called LT1 no relation to the 90's LT) and it has the features everyone thinks it will have. I have a harder time seeing GM moving to the aftermarket with this one as a lot more vehicle integration is required. The LS motors are still drop n swap type motors unlike the new LFX V6, LCV 2.5L I4 or LTG 2.0L Turbo4 which are highly integrated engines.

The new LT (Gen V) will be like this, and the "depth" of this engine family will be small, cars will be: Corvette including Z06, ATS-V is a maybe, CTS-V, Alpha Camaro, and that's about it... The VF Commodore (aka Zeta II or Z2SC) is more than likely sticking with the LS series based motor until 2016, at which point it will probably get the base LT (or a derivative of that). The K2XX trucks and SUV's will get versions of this engine and that honestly will be the only volume.

Let's face it the days of 10-15 different car models using a "hi-po" V8 are over.

For the record the LS (Gen IV only) was in the following cars:

Corvette including Z06 & ZR1
    Zeta Camaro including ZL1
    GTO/Monaro
    G8 GXP
    CTS-V 1st Gen
    CTS-V 2nd Gen
    TBSS
    Saab 9-7X Aero
    SSR

Technically the LS4 is an LS (even in design) so we can count the

Grand Prix GXP
    Impala SS
    Monte Carlo SS
    LaCrosse Super

For a total of 13 (not including trims, but including generations)

I don't understand why they reuse LSx and LTx so much. Why not use some different codes?

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Yeah, that LT thing confused me at first until I realized there was no way they were going to use an optispark in a new, 580 hp Camaro.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I don't understand why they reuse LSx and LTx so much. Why not use some different codes?
    GM's RPO codes are broken into sections. All engines begin with an L and have to be within a certain range of the alphabet.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    The LS Series (Gen III and Gen IV) will be around for a while, as the Aftermarket (including GM Performance Parts) is steering people with "classic" cars to use these engines. The original LT (Gen II) has some following still.

The next gen SBC is again an LT (called LT1 no relation to the 90's LT) and it has the features everyone thinks it will have. I have a harder time seeing GM moving to the aftermarket with this one as a lot more vehicle integration is required. The LS motors are still drop n swap type motors unlike the new LFX V6, LCV 2.5L I4 or LTG 2.0L Turbo4 which are highly integrated engines.

The new LT (Gen V) will be like this, and the "depth" of this engine family will be small, cars will be: Corvette including Z06, ATS-V is a maybe, CTS-V, Alpha Camaro, and that's about it... The VF Commodore (aka Zeta II or Z2SC) is more than likely sticking with the LS series based motor until 2016, at which point it will probably get the base LT (or a derivative of that). The K2XX trucks and SUV's will get versions of this engine and that honestly will be the only volume.

Let's face it the days of 10-15 different car models using a "hi-po" V8 are over.

For the record the LS (Gen IV only) was in the following cars:

Corvette including Z06 & ZR1
    Zeta Camaro including ZL1
    GTO/Monaro
    G8 GXP
    CTS-V 1st Gen
    CTS-V 2nd Gen
    TBSS
    Saab 9-7X Aero
    SSR

Technically the LS4 is an LS (even in design) so we can count the

Grand Prix GXP
    Impala SS
    Monte Carlo SS
    LaCrosse Super

For a total of 13 (not including trims, but including generations)
    Thats also just in America. The G8 for example was sold as a Vauxxy and a Holden, maybe even an Opel. Half the fun cars in Aussieland use LS engines.

----------

Wasnt the LS6 designation both a C5 Z06 and a C2 Vette engine?

NHRATA01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 Regal GS, '01 Trans Am

No. But it was an available engine in the '70 Chevelle SS, a 454 BBC. There was also an LS5 variant shared with the C3 Vette. However the Vette never got the LS6 though an even more powerful 454 dubbed LS7 was supposed to be an option but only made it in some prototypes. It was one of the rare few years in Chevy history that something outside of a Corvette had the highest rated engine in the division.

EDIT: Correction so after some research, there were <200 1971 Corvettes sold with the LS6 454 (with 425hp vs the 450 in the '70 Chevelle).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.