Cadillac Owners Forum banner

ATS-V wishlist??

87K views 372 replies 45 participants last post by  yatman60 
#1 ·
Since there isn't an ATS-V thread group yet, it made sense to ask here... And I know it'll eventually focus on the powertrain... :) So what would you like? Let's try to discuss everything.

----------

Rand49er brought up a few good points which should very well make it to production. Wider wheels/tires, mesh grille and an overall MORE agressive appearance. Personally, I would welcome functional fender vents or a tasteful vented hood. 19" wheels with sticky summer rubber and six piston front/four piston rear Brembos.

#198 ·
Am I off base saying the ATS is the worst looking car in recent Cadillac history?
Too tall, narrow and boxy.
If it didn't have a V8, I'd be embarrassed to be seen in it.
With its lack of visual appeal, its going to need a mean sounding V8 exhaust note and some real serious power to get any respect.

GM had a Turbo V6 in the 89-90 Grand Prix. Some people thought it was cool but only because there was no V8 available that would fit in that car.

#203 ·
Am I off base saying the ATS is the worst looking car in recent Cadillac history?
Too tall, narrow and boxy.
Yes, I think you are 'off base'. You own a 1st gen, like myself. That is the very epitome of tall, narrow, and boxy. Im not in love with the ATS yet, tho I havent seen one in person. Some of the styling is a little to blingy for my tastes. Tinted headlights, grill, and the V treatment should look fantastic, tho. The ATS looks good enough that as long as it drives like everyone whos driven it, says it does, then Im sold. Im absolutley in love with the interior. For comparison purposes, I love the exterior of the new 3er, but seriously dislike the interior. IMO, the new 3er is a 5 of 5 on the outside, and a 2 of 5 on the inside. The ATS is a 4 of 5 on the outside and a 5 of 5 on the inside. I want one badly.

#204 ·
So the Performance and Premium line ATS have 18" x 8" up front and 18" x 9" out back... The V should increase tire/wheel diameter and width by an inch front and back.

I like the dark grille with the chrome surround (2 piece). That would be nice for the V treatment also, or at least as an accessory.

#217 ·
No shortage of opinion here. I'll add mine.

If ATS-V is announced with a GenV V8 and manual transmission within the next nine months, I'll buy one.

GM, are you paying attention?
V8, sale. No V8, no sale.

It's that simple.

I know what you're thinking: "he says that now, but wait until he sees the specs on this TTV6." No. Stop that.
V8, sale. No V8, no sale. The V8 is the only engine I trust you not to screw up. Performance is guaranteed. Aftermarket is guaranteed. Respect from the cognoscenti is guaranteed.

I know what you're thinking: "German sedan buyers demand high-tech powerplants and do not see the smallblock V8 as such." No. Stop that.
V8, sale. No V8, no sale. Look, the German-entranced won't like your V6 either. They have V8s and I6s; a V6 is plebeian by comparison.

I know what you're thinking: "A TTV6 can deliver better city fuel economy; it's the engine we need above the NAV6." No. Stop that.
V8, sale. No V8, no sale. TTV6 is mainstream thinking; ATS-V is the tip of the sword, not a CAFE achiever. It must be the best you can do, and if Corvette's V8 isn't the best you can do, GM is far more lost than I thought and excuse me while I dump my stock...

I know what you're thinking: "A TTV6 is where the market is headed, and where Cadillac needs to be. The V8 is nothing but a stopgap." No. Stop that.
V8, sale. No V8, no sale. The V8 is GM's heritage. The V8 is GM's identity. Quit being embarassed by the thing that not only defines you but has rescued your reputation. Not just GM's, Cadillac's. Be honest. CTS-V and its smallblock V8 was the best ink you ever had and made you legit again. Not leveraging that market strength is equal parts arrogance and insanity.

I know what you're thinking. "The ATS-V needs to differentiate itself from the next Camaro." No. Stop that.
V8, sale. No V8, no sale. You don't differentiate yourself by coming up short. The next Camaro is a two-door with no luxury trimmings; it's a different market anyway. It's not like V8 fans will just buy a Camaro if there's no V8 ATS-V.

I know what you're thinking. "Some buyers actively state a preference for a TTV6, including some rabid performance fanatics." No. Stop that.
V8, sale. No V8, no sale. Bird in the hand.

I know what you're thinking. "But the TTV6 really is going to be great. We swear." No. Stop that.
V8, sale. No V8, no sale. I've read your press releases before. Sorry, I don't trust you, not enough to buy an image-performance car with your new TTV6 from you. Not in the wake of the 2.8L TTV6 and the blown Northstar.

Build a TTV6. Make it the star of the new CTS lineup. Sell it in volume, if you can. Make it great. Drop it into the ATS-V when it's a real proven thing, and when buyers demand the engine you've built, not just what they think you could build.

Thanks for listening. I hope you take it to heart.

.Jinx

#219 ·
I've now owned 2 V8 Vs. For the ATS-V, I'd accept a TTV6. To claim they're clueless if they don't make it a V8 is ignoring the amazing work they've done on all the V series cars, to date.

Cadillac has my utmost trust to kill it again with this V...

#223 ·
If you had torque, you would not need a 7 (or 8) speed.
They would just gear 5 & up for highway cruising anyways.
Only Gears 1-4 are for acceleration or track use.
(Maybey 5 briefly on a real fast track.)

I think the current transmissions are fine, until they can deliver a dual clutch.

In fact the current V8 is fine too ; )

#224 ·
lunarx said:
If you had torque, you would not need a 7 (or 8) speed.
They would just gear 5 & up for highway cruising anyways.
Only Gears 1-4 are for acceleration or track use.
(Maybey 5 briefly on a real fast track.)

I think the current transmissions are fine, until they can deliver a dual clutch.

In fact the current V8 is fine too ; )
Um, 5th gear in my V is very much needed. And you need 6th to hit 191...

#231 ·
I would have mixed feelings on the subject,

On the one hand it would be an overall better design for a stock engine.

On the other hand;
it's fugly
it's hard as crap fit larger turbos on
it over complicates the design
The exhaust goes straight over the trans-tunnel as opposed to the sides/ meaning the clutch flywheel are heated up faster,

I'd take side-mounted turbos over scorpion style tyvm.

#227 ·
So, lets assume the V gets the V6TT...who will be the 1st to drop in the small block? An LS7 perhaps? Lingenfelter? Hennessey? Cadillac better do something absolutely spectacular with the V6TT (450 hp, no turbo lag, retuned Magnaride, warrantied factory performance support) otherwise I might just buy a 2nd hand ATS 2.0L with Magnaride, and send it to a tuner for a V8 swap. They had better work extensively on the V6TT exhuast note as well. The M3 will sound great, you can bet on that.

#229 ·
besides, unless GM goes bankrupt again, there will be a 3rd gen CTS-V. And while this is solely my prediction, I am going with 3600 lbs and 560 hp LSA for the CTS-V3.
i might as well make my prediction for the ATS-V as well. 3400 lbs (more extensive use of composites than the ATS) with a 400-450 hp V6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.