ATS-V wishlist?? - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, ATS-V wishlist?? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac The BMW M3 starts at $60,100. Cadillac would be insane to start the first generation ...
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: ATS-V wishlist??

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    The BMW M3 starts at $60,100. Cadillac would be insane to start the first generation ATS-V higher than $58k. The car needs to prove itself first.
    Anything over $60k, and I'll have a tough time justifying this to my wife. If I just have to have more than the base amenities (e.g. Recaros, etc) meaning an even higher sticker price, that will force me to consider a low-mileage, one-year-old ATS-V which by definition means I'll have to wait at least one year after introduction to get one.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I want a $35k sport sedan that's mid 12-ish, superb handling, and they can keep the gadgets and give me a low rent interior. I wish someone would build one of those.
    You can get a Sport Coupe for about $10k less like the BRZ and that's probably the closest thing you'll get to what you want. 2700 lbs, 200 HP, RWD.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    As long as Cadillac doesn't have the ATS-V starting at more than the M3, I'll be happy. I don't want Cadillac pricing the ATS-V out of the market.
    I don't think we have to worry about that at all. Their whole theme is back to basics and good driver cars. One of the perks of which, is that you can build (and sell) cars cheaply, aside from the fact that GM is quite literally 5.6 times bigger than BMW group. I do not expect a comparably priced Cadillac for at least 10 years, because let's face it, Cadillac is one of the smallest brands in the world, which makes all of their good cars even more shocking, but you don't charge a premium for something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I don't think we have to worry about that at all. Their whole theme is back to basics and good driver cars. One of the perks of which, is that you can build (and sell) cars cheaply, aside from the fact that GM is quite literally 5.6 times bigger than BMW group. I do not expect a comparably priced Cadillac for at least 10 years, because let's face it, Cadillac is one of the smallest brands in the world, which makes all of their good cars even more shocking, but you don't charge a premium for something like that.
    You'd think economies of scale count, but Cadillac isn't about charing with the lesser brands (outside of having to borrow the basis of the XTS platform and the Escalade). Cadillac has unique everything. The XTS while based on the LaCrosse (and upcoming Impala) has so many differences with them it's spawned a "sub-platform" called "Premium Global Epsilon." The SRX has a unique platform (Theta Epsilon shared with the 9-4X which never really was released), the CTS/STS used unique platforms. The next gen CTS, the ATS, and Omega are all unique to Cadillac. Basically Cadillac doesn't benefit the economies of scale as it rarely shares a car with a "massive volume platform." The XTS should have been the exception, but even then Cadillac pulled a "K-Body" where the K-Body was a reworked G-Body.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    You'd think economies of scale count, but Cadillac isn't about charing with the lesser brands (outside of having to borrow the basis of the XTS platform and the Escalade). Cadillac has unique everything. The XTS while based on the LaCrosse (and upcoming Impala) has so many differences with them it's spawned a "sub-platform" called "Premium Global Epsilon." The SRX has a unique platform (Theta Epsilon shared with the 9-4X which never really was released), the CTS/STS used unique platforms. The next gen CTS, the ATS, and Omega are all unique to Cadillac. Basically Cadillac doesn't benefit the economies of scale as it rarely shares a car with a "massive volume platform." The XTS should have been the exception, but even then Cadillac pulled a "K-Body" where the K-Body was a reworked G-Body.
    True, true. Honestly I don't know why GM hasen't dumped Cadillac in favor of Buick as it's BMW/Audi/Merceds/Lexus competitor from a numbers perspective. Buick is already a global export sales leader, they're based on good global platforms at this point and it doesn't have the numerous failed relaunches that Cadillac does in Europe. Buick fits well into this whole 'luxury for everyone' theme that's going on. Cadillac fits better into a sports car brand attack dog that can truely take on the Germans. The only way you can do that though, is to attack hard, and a rebadged malibu with some leather bit's and re-worked fascia isn't going to cut it like it would for Buick's market.

or maybe it's because they're stuck from a supplier and financial/union perspective. Bob Lutz wanted to dump hummer right when he got back to GM but they really counldn't before the bankruptcy.

I suppose the most friendly explination is that their respective brand images fit well in that Buick can go head on at the entry-luxury market that Hyundai/Kia, Acura and the like occupy, and Cadillac can take on the more traditional sports sedan and luxury markets.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    You can get a Sport Coupe for about $10k less like the BRZ and that's probably the closest thing you'll get to what you want. 2700 lbs, 200 HP, RWD.
    I already have a sport coupe with close to superb handling (though not as close as I had hoped) in the Camaro. My next car I want to be back to 4-doors. I am waiting for more solid rumors of this Alpha Chevy sedan.

And I thought the SRX shares with the Equinox.

----------

I will admit to being intrigued by that Subaru though. I bet that thing will get 30 mpg highway even with a lead foot.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I already have a sport coupe with close to superb handling (though not as close as I had hoped) in the Camaro. My next car I want to be back to 4-doors. I am waiting for more solid rumors of this Alpha Chevy sedan.

And I thought the SRX shares with the Equinox.

----------

I will admit to being intrigued by that Subaru though. I bet that thing will get 30 mpg highway even with a lead foot.
    The Equinox is a Theta which in GM's world means one of three things the Korean designed C100 Platform (of which the Windstorm and global Chevrolet Captiva are a part of), the US\Europe modification of the C100 Platform (Saturn VUE\Opel Antara), and the GMT17X Twins (Equinox and Terrain).

So while those 3 "sub-platforms" are all related to each other and commonly referred to as Theta (even though they have little part overlap), the SRX is on a "merged" platform which takes parts of the GMNA Theta (GMT 17X) and Global Epsilon (Buick LaCrosse) and SLAMS them together to make "Theta-Epsilon" or TE.

Confusing? You can bet on it. The Global "Theta" cars are going to transition to a Global Delta based CUV platform called D2UX, while the SRX remains on TE and transitions to T2XX (that's Gen 2 TE). So the Equinox and Terrain will further diverge from the SRX in the next generation.

And on the Subie, I'm seriously looking at it versus something like an ATS-V or 4-series due to cost. Plus I think I can easily reuse my Aftermarket Stereo that's in my GTO...

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH
    BMW sells their cars based on perception. Most 3-series buyers go with a 328 because they read about the 335, hear all the great things about it, but don't understand any of it. They walk into a BMW dealer to buy one of these "ultimate driving machines" and they don't care what's in it. It has a BMW badge on the hood and that's all that matters. That won't work for Cadillac. They don't have mouth-breathing journalists selling cars for them.
    So why did you ditch your V and settle for a CTS? Your wrong rant on the car rags is old...

It's the same old song. But the song is still true.

Negative.

bruff1977 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Your thoughts on CUE being standard for the V? Configurable? Or V-Specific? What specifications?

Personally, if there is to be a third, 'V setting' if you will, I would like to see various track info (maps, conditions, etc.) available for download. Monticello, MSR, VIR, hell Laguna Seca. A sort of real time telemetry with OnStar/GPS.

You have to believe CUE will be standard on the V. Typically the V-series cars come with all the features from the premium tier of their pedestrian counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by bruff1977
    Your thoughts on CUE being standard for the V? Configurable? Or V-Specific? What specifications?

Personally, if there is to be a third, 'V setting' if you will, I would like to see various track info (maps, conditions, etc.) available for download. Monticello, MSR, VIR, hell Laguna Seca. A sort of real time telemetry with OnStar/GPS.
    Being Linux based, I imagine there would be an "app" for that pretty quickly...

Just because Linux is opensource, does not mean CUE will be.

Eh, whatever. If Cadillac let little back doors open to watch DVDs in the V1 and such, it'll be done...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.