ATS-V wishlist?? - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, ATS-V wishlist?? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by JimmyH I can't see the hp wars going much farther. I mean 650 hp? That's crazy. In ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Re: ATS-V wishlist??

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I can't see the hp wars going much farther. I mean 650 hp? That's crazy. In 10 years, high school kids will be buying 650 hp Mustangs. That's crazy. Where does it stop? 850 hp Corvettes? I am still surprised by the new GT500. The best performance tires on the market are not going to put 650 hp on the ground, and I don't see it coming from the factory with DRs.
    That's exactly it, Jimmy. Plus, kids are getting dumber and cars are getting faster. When you can get a regular car with $500 in modifications to do 12 second quarter miles, you know it's getting a little too easy to go too fast. I love fast cars as much as the next guy but how many 10 second Camaros and Mustangs are going to be on the road, driven by 20 somethings, in a few years? All it's going to take is a few EXTREMELY high speed accidents that get people killed to start seriously opening eyes.

Times are REALLY changing. A CTS-V/Camaro SS pulls up next to an M5/Mustang GT 5.0 in the street and within a few seconds they're doing over 170 miles per hour - and that's the kind of speed you need to determine who wins. It's not like it used to be. This is all going to stop very soon. Enjoy it while it lasts...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

That's what I have been saying. There is no regulation on modified cars. If done poorly, some of these cars are very unsafe. Youtube is showing the world what $5k of mods can do to an already crazy fast car. I bet the government does step in eventually and starts monitoring the situation. I am not sure how they will do it, but I bet they come up with something. When there is nothing else to stop my loved ones from getting killed by reckless drivers in cars too fast for them to handle, I am all for it.

Then again, just the other day, I saw some fool in an suv try to change lanes too quickly, at too high a speed. It looked liked stability control saved his ass, but it just as easily might not have if the roads were moist. So it's not just the high hp cars. It seems as time goes on, folks get more and more reckless.

Whether you're going 170 or 120, the thrill and adrenaline feel the same while racing. I seriously doubt we're having any more fun in 2012 than guys were having in the 1950s. Cars don't have to go 200mph to be enjoyable. Kids in Honda Civics have just as much fun. The problem is that there are cars that go faster - much faster - and that's what I see coming to an end...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

M5eater is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    Whether you're going 170 or 120, the thrill and adrenaline feel the same while racing. I seriously doubt we're having any more fun in 2012 than guys were having in the 1950s. Cars don't have to go 200mph to be enjoyable. Kids in Honda Civics have just as much fun. The problem is that there are cars that go faster - much faster - and that's what I see coming to an end...
    Civics are limited to 108 or 112 though.. so are most other ordinary cars. I really don't see anything changing, it was more dangerous to go 60MPH in those 50s or 60s cars than it is doing 100 in today's cars. yes cars are much faster, but they're also MUCH safer. The average compact has 10 airbags and HSS everywhere.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I really don't see anything changing, it was more dangerous to go 60MPH in those 50s or 60s cars than it is doing 100 in today's cars. yes cars are much faster, but they're also MUCH safer.
    I used to use that argument all the time but then one day I figured something out. Yes, cars are MUCH safer than they used to be. We SHOULD be able to drive 100mph all over the place because cars don't handle like boats anymore. When I had my 335i with sport suspension, I felt like I was riding on rails. This was the time I started really questioning the speed limits - which in most cases ARE ridiculous.

But...

Think of how many people were actually on the road in the 50s. Compared to now... So while our cars handle much better, the roads are much more crowded. It just doesn't work.

HansK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 Blue Chip

My main desire for the V would be a convertible option. I am less concerned with the HP/torque ratings of the car. I know it will have more than I NEED (although we always want more). If they can keep the car in the low 60s, it could be a great alternative to the M3

Quote Originally Posted by HansK View Post
    My main desire for the V would be a convertible option. I am less concerned with the HP/torque ratings of the car. I know it will have more than I NEED (although we always want more). If they can keep the car in the low 60s, it could be a great alternative to the M3
    The BMW M3 starts at $60,100. Cadillac would be insane to start the first generation ATS-V higher than $58k. The car needs to prove itself first.
    bruff1977 and bruff1977 like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

I used to use that argument all the time but then one day I figured something out. Yes, cars are MUCH safer than they used to be. We SHOULD be able to drive 100mph all over the place because cars don't handle like boats anymore. When I had my 335i with sport suspension, I felt like I was riding on rails. This was the time I started really questioning the speed limits - which in most cases ARE ridiculous.

But...

Think of how many people were actually on the road in the 50s. Compared to now... So while our cars handle much better, the roads are much more crowded. It just doesn't work.
    Then explain how fatal accidents have steadily declined as miles driven has steadily increased? Besides, it's hard to get into accidents at 15mph...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Then explain how fatal accidents have steadily declined as miles driven has steadily increased? Besides, it's hard to get into accidents at 15mph...
    I really can't explain that. All I know is when I was racing around and driving aggressively - I hated the speed limits and thought of the argument about cars handling better. I always try to play devil's advocate (even with my own ideas and opinions) and came to the conclusion that street racing isn't any safer today (safer cars) than it was years ago (less traffic).

The BMW M3 starts at $60,100. Cadillac would be insane to start the first generation ATS-V higher than $58k. The car needs to prove itself first.
    I agree that the ATS-V should be lower in base price than the M3 but most of the cost with BMWs comes from the options. The M3 (with convertible option) quickly goes over $80,000 where the CTS-V only ranges from $63-75k. I expect the ATS-V to be lower in bottom end and top end price. From what I have seen in Cadillacs compared to BMW, the base will hopefully include better options than its competition. That's one of the things I always disliked with BMW pricing is that it seems almost deceptive to have a luxury car have so few options at the base price.

BMW sells their cars based on perception. Most 3-series buyers go with a 328 because they read about the 335, hear all the great things about it, but don't understand any of it. They walk into a BMW dealer to buy one of these "ultimate driving machines" and they don't care what's in it. It has a BMW badge on the hood and that's all that matters. That won't work for Cadillac. They don't have mouth-breathing journalists selling cars for them.

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The next M3 won't start below $65k. The F30 328i and 335i command hefty increases over the old E90 versions.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    BMW sells their cars based on perception. Most 3-series buyers go with a 328 because they read about the 335, hear all the great things about it, but don't understand any of it. They walk into a BMW dealer to buy one of these "ultimate driving machines" and they don't care what's in it. It has a BMW badge on the hood and that's all that matters. That won't work for Cadillac. They don't have mouth-breathing journalists selling cars for them.
    and that's why I can't buy a 3 or 5 series. They can be great cars but the market is so flooded with low end models, I feel it takes away from what makes the car special.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    The next M3 won't start below $65k. The F30 328i and 335i command hefty increases over the old E90 versions.
    Well IF a convertible option does come on the market for the V, I hope it doesn't go past the mid 70's because I don't see my budget going up too much more in the next few years. I could be convinced to work a little extra overtime though

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    As long as Cadillac doesn't have the ATS-V starting at more than the M3, I'll be happy. I don't want Cadillac pricing the ATS-V out of the market.

I want a $35k sport sedan that's mid 12-ish, superb handling, and they can keep the gadgets and give me a low rent interior. I wish someone would build one of those.
    rand49er and rand49er like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.