ATS-V wishlist?? - Page 23
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, ATS-V wishlist?? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; And for those obsessed with fuel economy/range in high performance cars, could the TR6070, LT1 combo give highway cruising mpg ...
    JFJr is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    And for those obsessed with fuel economy/range in high performance cars, could the TR6070, LT1 combo give highway cruising mpg in the mid-to-upper 20's and still provide acceleration better than the current CTS-V?

Jud
    Jud

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: ATS-V wishlist??

6.2L V8 in 4 cylinder mode versus 3.6L TTV6 not on boost...I bet its very very close. If the 1st gen V saw mid 20's mpg on highway, Im sure the ATS V with LT1 could see close to 30 if not over. Since the ATS-V should be lighter then the 1g CTS-V, and the LT1 is more efficient then the LS6/2, Id bet close to 20 in the city as well. 450 hp and 3700 lbs makes it a mid to low 12.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    No. Save words like 'fine' for the regular ATS. The V should have fantastic braking that you can repeat over and over again. 14" ventilated 2-piece rotors, 6potF/4PotR... Instead of matching the M3, continually playing catch up, set the bar.
    very well put, I've been saying for a while within my circle of friends/co-workers that absurdity sells, which is why the SRT magnum/SRT anything , cts-v/v-wagon, shelbys, wrx, evo cars, M/AMG anything are such hits. they live in the absurd awesomeness of too much and why which we all know is a fun place.

so agreed, 6 pot/4 pot brembos, fine is good, just not good enough. carrot cake is fine, carrot cake with cream cheese icing is what were after.

the only caveat i can think of is cadillac as a manufacturer leaving room for differentiation between Future CTS-V and ATS-V, lets hope they go the route of upping the CTS instead of neutering the ATS, much like Porsche did with the better clean sheet Cayman vs historical so we must keep it but challenging designed 911.

Well, the TTV6 is more mundane than absurd, in today's high performance market. What makes 4 camshafts instead of one more superior when weight and complexity are considered? And when's the "superior" fuel economy going to surface if one has to keep that little engine in boost just to keep up? The TTV6 will be the darling of the country club lizards but it has no place in the true "V" realm, IMHO. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Jud
    lunarx likes this.
    Jud

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    Well, the TTV6 is more mundane than absurd, in today's high performance market. What makes 4 camshafts instead of one more superior when weight and complexity are considered? And when's the "superior" fuel economy going to surface if one has to keep that little engine in boost just to keep up? The TTV6 will be the darling of the country club lizards but it has no place in the true "V" realm, IMHO. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Jud
    your opinion is cool, and valid.... lets be real, it could be a 3 cylinder 2 stroke, if the power is north of 400hp, its gonna be fun as hell, i don't think v buyers care all that much about fuel economy, they care about fun, otherwise they'd look elsewhere IMHO

bruff1977 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee

very well put, I've been saying for a while within my circle of friends/co-workers that absurdity sells, which is why the SRT magnum/SRT anything , cts-v/v-wagon, shelbys, wrx, evo cars, M/AMG anything are such hits. they live in the absurd awesomeness of too much and why which we all know is a fun place.

so agreed, 6 pot/4 pot brembos, fine is good, just not good enough. carrot cake is fine, carrot cake with cream cheese icing is what were after.

the only caveat i can think of is cadillac as a manufacturer leaving room for differentiation between Future CTS-V and ATS-V, lets hope they go the route of upping the CTS instead of neutering the ATS, much like Porsche did with the better clean sheet Cayman vs historical so we must keep it but challenging designed 911.
    I think in terms of braking you can only do so much. That's why the 'best' (Brembo) should be used all around, with a configuration that mirrors or supersedes the competition.

bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Quote Originally Posted by concorso
    I actually agree. I wont cross shop any cars if the V comes with the LT1 or LS7(LT7?) and a 6 speed manual or DCT and RWD and 2 doors. It would be the Cadillac Ive been dreaming about since the 1st gen CTS came out. With a TTV6 and only 4 doors, Ill crossshop the M3/4. People keep saying that BMW is moving forward with the times by turbocharging and going to smaller displacement. Thats one way of looking at it. The other way is that BMW is going back to their bread and butter, an I6 and updating it with turbos, which is akin to the LT1 (GM's bread and butter with modern updates. The ATS is going to need 450, there is no doubt about that. The LT1 is allready at that level, and it should be less then 50 lbs heavier then the LF3, if that much at all, and it will have a lower center of gravity. I have no doubt, tho, that the LF3 in the ATS-V will make 450 hp. It will get its ass handed to it, with 420. It seems Cadillac knows how important the product is, now, versus the old way of building based on cost. I really hope they deliver the goods with this car.

For arguments sake, the 328i is faster then the ATS 2.0T in a straight line, with less advertised hp. They dyno about the same, but the 328i is still faster. BMW consistently makes better use of its power, it seems.

----------

Yes, exactly. Actually, I think the TTV6 should replace the LFX entirely. A low hp TTV6 is needed to compete with the 335i, which is much faster then the 3.6L. The ATS is so close to being a great car, but the drivetrains need a little more work.
    I think you hit the nail on the head saying the ats is so close to being a great car.....coming from mostly junk and buying an ats, I'm about 90% satisfied in all aspects. I love the car car but I feel it could ride just a bit better, handle just a bit better, and perform just a bit better. I really feel the transmission could be a bit smoother and 50 more hp would be perfect. For a $50,000 Cadillac, I expect just a bit more.

al pettee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V Sedan

C'mon, a TTV6 ATS-V is nothing but an M3-wannabe ATS variant, and GM marketing is committing DWI (devising while intoxicated) if they believe the ATS-V with the TTV6 motor is going to woo M3 buyers over to Cadillac-it ain't gonna happen.

A modded LT1 for the ATS-V makes the most sense for the market and the brand.
    lunarx likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by al pettee
    C'mon, a TTV6 ATS-V is nothing but an M3-wannabe ATS variant, and GM marketing is committing DWI (devising while intoxicated) if they believe the ATS-V with the TTV6 motor is going to woo M3 buyers over to Cadillac-it ain't gonna happen.

A modded LT1 for the ATS-V makes the most sense for the market and the brand.
    The M3 is a yuppie chick car, anyway, and the V's are meant for real men. Why not the LS7? It has plenty of power and is not hamstrung with "advancements" like DOD, Eco-mode (whatever that is), engine off when stopped (I forget the marketing term) and other odious contraptions. Leave those for the Germans and their devotees. I guess a modified LT1, rid of all that baggage, would do in a pinch.

Jud
    Jud

lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Mallett 427 CTS-V, 10 E63 AMG

I'm glad to see the V8 fan base is growing.
    Aside from the V8, I only think it needs big fenders for a wider meaner look and more cornering grip and a way to install an aftermarket radio and ditch the POS CUE system.

When are they supposed to announce this car?
    I'm starting to wonder if GM chickened out and is figuring the ATS is profitable enough as is.
    That thinking is what ruined them in the past.
    05 Mallett [M]/RPM CTS-V: 522WHP 487WTQ (DYNOmite) | 427 C5R Block | P&P LS7 Heads | Dry Sump Oil sys (12qt) | [M] Oi1 Cooler | Aeromotive 340 FP | LPE CAI | SW 1-3/4" Headars | RT Hi Flow Cats | B&B 3" Exhuast | ACT Twin Disk Clutch | UUC Shifter | RPM Trans Level-V Build | MN6 Geer Ratio Conv | Cryo Treated Diff | GM T2 Diff Cooler | [M] Anti Wheel Hop Kit | FG2 Shocks | SS Brake Limes | Slotted Cryo Rotars | [M] Modified Front Spindles | 275-35-19 PS2 F&R | [M] 19x9 Billet Whels F&R |

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by al pettee View Post
    ... a TTV6 ATS-V is nothing but an M3-wannabe ATS variant ...
    It will be if it's rated at only 420 hp.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    It will be if it's rated at only 420 hp.
    agreed......

whatever engine they use, cadillac needs to trounce M3 to turn heads, they know this because that's exactly what they did with the CTS-V and the last M5 since it worked then....REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT...

a side note.... I like the Camaro very much, but we choose to play with Cadillacs GM's top brand and as such, I don't like the ZL1 having more HP.

my idea of ideal would be a target of 600 HP for CTS-V and 480-500 HP for ATS-V, the f1 loving geek in me finds the idea of getting this in a high revving ttv6 very interesting, the gear head in me doesn't care as long as it has that level of power.

the other part of the equation is transmission 8 speed auto 7 speed manual please, and start working on a twin clutch too late for this gen but get to work, and put the paddles on the column.

lastly, GM needs to buy a failing cell phone maker and gut them take their software and hardware engineering and integrate them into the infotainment group(I'm thinking Nokia) why? because these guys can put amazing infotainment in our pockets for $600 and GM can't in our luxury cars for $1350, I'm even ok with being charged $1350 for a dashboard tablet phone, tech is here to stay, let's get it right, and this could open up a new kind of software hotrodding

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    ... 480-500 HP for ATS-V ... transmission 8 speed auto 7 speed manual ...
    Yup. I'd even settle for 475 hp.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

al pettee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    ...the f1 loving geek in me finds the idea of getting this in a high revving ttv6 very interesting, the gear head in me doesn't care as long as it has that level of power....
    I assume you do realize the TTV6 LF3 rev's only to 6,500 rpm's, whereas the pushrod V8 LT1 cuts out at 6,600, so if a high-revving TTV6 is what tickles you, then you'll have to find a substitute for GM's LF3....

Quote Originally Posted by al pettee View Post
    I assume you do realize the TTV6 LF3 rev's only to 6,500 rpm's, whereas the pushrod V8 LT1 cuts out at 6,600, so if a high-revving TTV6 is what tickles you, then you'll have to find a substitute for GM's LF3....
    yes I realize this, I was thinking more like 8k plus redline 480hp motor

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.