ATS-V wishlist?? - Page 17
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, ATS-V wishlist?? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Well reading between the lines and speaking to one of the drivers from the Indy series. The TTV6 that they ...
    Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Re: ATS-V wishlist??

Well reading between the lines and speaking to one of the drivers from the Indy series. The TTV6 that they are using in INDY is VERY balanced. If we were to do a built V6, we can make just as much power as we could with a built V8. Although I would say a V8 would be a kick in the pants given this vehicles weight.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by lunarx View Post
    If balance is the desired result, thats more reason to dump the TT V6 and go NA V8.

blacaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS4 Wagon

ATS-V= ~3300lbs vehicle weight....~450hp+ V-8, naturally aspirated with ~375+lb-ft torque>>trying for around 7 lbs. per hp....choice of manual or auto.....choice of rear or all-wheel drive (get the power to the pavement ala Porsche Carerra4)... ATS-V specific performance exhaust...ATS-V specific gauges with tachometer oriented design...How about some new colors such as a real red, a dark red, dark blue and maybe a non tint white.......Kiss principle in play here with the engine choice>>>current LSA V-8's have proven it, ask the bimmer/merc guys with their "On the tech edge" motors as they are watching the taillights of a CTS-V getting smaller(usually).....And as a final wish>>>Tinman are you with me?>>>ATS-V Shooting Brake

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

ATS-V= ~3300lbs vehicle weight....~450hp+ V-8, naturally aspirated with ~375+lb-ft torque>>trying for around 7 lbs. per hp....choice of manual or auto.....choice of rear or all-wheel drive (get the power to the pavement ala Porsche Carerra4)... ATS-V specific performance exhaust...ATS-V specific gauges with tachometer oriented design...How about some new colors such as a real red, a dark red, dark blue and maybe a non tint white.......Kiss principle in play here with the engine choice>>>current LSA V-8's have proven it, ask the bimmer/merc guys with their "On the tech edge" motors as they are watching the taillights of a CTS-V getting smaller(usually).....And as a final wish>>>Tinman are you with me?>>>ATS-V Shooting Brake
    Audi Does AWD 4 doors, they have for nearly 30 years. They loose to the M3. Every. Time.

You know why the panamera turbo S does well? (I'm assuming you meant panamera, since the Carerra is a coupe)
    because it starts @ $175K.

Didn't mean to give the impression I am a big Porsche fan>>> just using carerra4 as an example of a 400+hp all-wheel drive system and not the body style>>>could have used Bentley or Bugatti as examples I suppose....... not sure the drive system is what makes the WhaleAmera cost $175K>>>maybe$75K for a name and a left hand key and $100K for the engineering/car?....

Remember we are wishing so we can wish for a 4wheel drive system that provides the fastest off the line times coupled with handling in the rarified league dominated by the CTS-V ....Good statement with the "Hot Raw Nasty Speed" M5eater >>>I like that<<<It will be fun to see what Cadillac comes up with >>>CTS-V proves they are more than capable.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Big power+AWD=lots of potential drivetrain problems. Porsche and Audi circumvent this with expensive hardware. Chrysler does it with oppressive torque management. Take your pick. Unless you will be happy with an $80k ATS-V.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

3300 lbs? with AWD? and a V8? The RWD car is already over 3500lbs with the V6; Camaro tells us the V8 will add another 80lbs or so. What's AWD going to add? What other strengthening will we need? I see a 400lb chasm between reality and this wishlist.

The base ATS is about 3300lbs. If they make even more extensive use of lightweight materials, they could feasibly offset the additional 300lbs or so that the V would add to that. At least some of it. I would say somewhere between 3400-3500 lbs if they throw some more magnesium and carbon fiber around.

I am betting folks would line up to buy a 3400 lbs, 450 hp, $60k ATS-V.

The base ATS is about 3300lbs. If they make even more extensive use of lightweight materials, they could feasibly offset the additional 300lbs or so that the V would add to that. At least some of it. I would say somewhere between 3400-3500 lbs if they throw some more magnesium and carbon fiber around.

I am betting folks would line up to buy a 3400 lbs, 450 hp, $60k ATS-V.

lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Mallett 427 CTS-V, 10 E63 AMG

AWD??
    I doubt that is under consideration.
    They said they were targeting the M3 not the RS4.
    Besides AWD completely squashes the lightweight intent.

For the engine, they just need to decide if they want to beat the M3 on Gas Mileage or Acceleration.

Yes, a 3400lb 450HP $60K V8 Manual ATS-V would get me in line.

yeah, no way they put awd on the V.

Ok, I got carried away with 3300lbs.>>>>>would you go for 3825lbs.? Puts this weight car with 450hp at 8.5lbs per hp>>>> should allow ATS-V to run with the Audi's, the M3/M5 and the AMG's >>AWD would be nice to get the hp to the pavement but JimmyH is probably correct and Cadillac won't do an AWD Vcar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    3300 lbs? with AWD? and a V8? The RWD car is already over 3500lbs with the V6; Camaro tells us the V8 will add another 80lbs or so. What's AWD going to add? What other strengthening will we need? I see a 400lb chasm between reality and this wishlist.

I would not accept 3800lb.
    That's V1 weight.
    Its reverse progress for a smaller newer car to weigh as much as a bigger older car.

The ATS is a tiny sedan, its weight target should be a max of 3600lb.
    It should not weigh more than the V6.

Imagine some nice weight saving items;

Lightweight Racing Seats
    Lightened Rear Seat Back
    Titanium Exhaust
    Forged Wheels
    2 Piece Brake Rotors
    Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

Those things could trim an easy 100lb and save us the trouble of having to buy them aftermarket.

To take it down another notch,

Sunroof Delete

The biggest weight savings will be lightweight wheels, and replacing steel chassis parts with magnesium, aluminum, and carbon fiber. This will all mean a much higher price. My only point is that if they can make a 3400 lbs, 450 hp sedan, people WILL pay the higher sticker price. I don't think ATS buyers would, but ATS-V buyers will.

I certianly would pay extra for the lightening.
    However, I would not want to see lightening used as an excuse for a substandard engine.

Suposedly they already designed the car to be lightweignt, so I wasn't expecting any chassis or suspension components to need changing.
    I'm sure the V drivetrain will be heavier and add weight.
    Even so, that can (and should be) be offset, as you pointed out.

I still think all they "need" to do (over the ATS) is put a V8, V2 Brembos, V2 LSD, Performance Suspension, offset some of the weight gain and they would have one hell of an ATS-V.
    Any less is pathetic.
    Any more is icing on the cake.

If they can keep the weight down, they won't need the V2's heavy duty brakes, drivetrain, and suspension.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.