ATS-V wishlist?? - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, ATS-V wishlist?? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Unfortunately, forced induction is the order of the day. It seems like the manufacturers are doing it to satisfy the ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: ATS-V wishlist??

Unfortunately, forced induction is the order of the day. It seems like the manufacturers are doing it to satisfy the greenies. They can say "look; engines are getting smaller."

lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Mallett 427 CTS-V, 10 E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Unfortunately, forced induction is the order of the day. It seems like the manufacturers are doing it to satisfy the greenies. They can say "look; engines are getting smaller."
    TT LS V8 sounds good then.
    I'll settle for 5.5L
    rand49er and rand49er like this.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Jaguar just announced they are dropping the 5L V8 from the XJ, replacing it with Supercharged V6.
    When the greenies start buying these cars, then their opinions should matter. Until then, I want a V8. The Camaro will get a V8 when it gets this platform. The ATS-V must have a V8. If not the V, then the superV. If not a Super V, then the uberSuper V. If not V8, then I might skip the TTV6 altogether. Ill stick with the 2.0T, new turbo plus supporting mods. The TTV6 ATS-V would have to have som much unique parts from the rest of the lineup to even get me interested.
    lunarx and lunarx like this.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

'05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

I don't understand why all these sources keep saying a V8 would add weight. I can't imagine a twin turbo V6 weighing significantly less than an ohv V8.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH
    I don't understand why all these sources keep saying a V8 would add weight. I can't imagine a twin turbo V6 weighing significantly less than an ohv V8.
    The LS motor is lighter than many DOHC V6 already, nevermind the addition of boost adders...

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

I don't understand it either. The B8 RS4 and RS5 must not exist in their eyes.

Fuel economy? The 1st gen CTS with an LS6/LS2 was putting out better MPG than the M3/C63/RS4 do today!

The biggest problem a V8 ATS faces is ignorance.
    lunarx, lunarx, concorso and 1 others like this.

I got better fuel economy with my 05V than I did with my 09 CTS4.

lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Mallett 427 CTS-V, 10 E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    .....The biggest problem a V8 ATS faces is ignorance.
    Quote of the day!

What is so "new tech" about Turbo engines?
    There is a long list of suposed "new tech" turbo cars from the past that became obsolete when the LS (and other good NA engines) got developed.
    Aside from the GTR, what turbo car, in stock form, ever beat an LS for less than 2 x the cost?

The GT-R is a cheater. Take aways its DSG and five-gear 1/4 miles, and the CTS-V would blow it away.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Come on, I loved my LS6 and its excellent fuel economy. But that was very much gearing. City mpg was down. A turbo 6 putting out 400hp could potentially get near 30mpg.

Lot of discussion of this issue over on gminsidenews. Placement of V8 vs TTV6 and it affects weight distribution also discussed.

Bottomline is weight would not be adversely affected with a V8, or at least it would be measured in ounces not pounds.

The fact is, the image of high tech (TTV6) vs old-school (OHV V8) may drive this with the marketing types at Cadillac/GM.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

sad but true

They really, really, really should do both. I mean do some such luxury platinum version with the TTV6 to appeal to the hoity toity crowd PLUS do a more ballzy, track-ready, bad-boy version with the V8.

Yeah, yeah ... I'm dreaming again.
    concorso and concorso like this.

atssponge is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): G8 GT and WRX Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I wish the ATS-V had a Porsche PDK 7 speed or audi-stronic, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. Similiarly, a 6L90E probably isn't going to happen for the simple purpose of vastly over-engineering the car. This won't be a 4300lb 551ft/lb vehicle. It's going to make a lot less power, and it's going to have to move a lot less mass.
    Also,
    The ATS will not have 450whp.
    Second, The 6L80E is in every 469HP, 4300lb STS-V
    Third, The 6L80E is in lots of pickup trucks/SUV's with LS2-sized power plants and they do just fine, including every LS3 corvette and LS3 powered , 2 ton G8 GXP.

a 6L80E in a 3700-3800lb 450hp ATS is going to leave plenty of breathing room.
    I'm just saying, that realisticly, it makes sense that they'd use a 6L80E in this situation. Considering we're close to launch time for the ATS and all the powertrains have 6-speeds, we're going to get this trans (and not the new 8speeds) in this car.
    No sure why you are trying to prove your point. I own a 6L80 L76 3900LB car and I can tell you it is very easy to bump up to the torque rating on it. Sure this car will be lighter, but not 1000lb lighter. ~3200 is still pretty heavy. Not to mention the granny OEM TM settings to keep all autos in one piece. I will use a third peddle or no V for me. You can have your PDK as I rather heel toe and match gears rather then count paddle blips (abrupt weight transfer is not for me).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.