ATS-V wishlist?? - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, ATS-V wishlist?? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; First wish: They would hurry up an produce this car. I will be at the dealer and buy it off ...
    atssponge is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): G8 GT and WRX Wagon

Re: ATS-V wishlist??

First wish: They would hurry up an produce this car. I will be at the dealer and buy it off the truck. For the love of God, build this car right now!

Now then, a clutch. Plain and simple. I want one. The hell with autos and DCTs. More to tune or break. This is a fantasy, but no drive by wire. I hate the delay and the numbness. A steering shaft, again no bywire. This should be a no brainer, but Bluetooth stock without the need for some audio package. Twin turbos or a V8 would be fine. For you auto (and drag) fans, I would hope for a 6L90e not an 80e. The Z06 rear dif at a minmum. ZL1 diff even better. A sunroof would be good too.

P.S. First post. Glad to be here.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

I would hope for a 6L90e not an 80e.
    a 90E isn't necessary here, a 80E is more than capable of handling 450HP. Iirc they don't start breaking until you past 500whp infact.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Direct shift gearboxes are immature. Just look at the spectacular problems with the VW GTI and Nissan GT-R. no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Direct shift gearboxes are immature. Just look at the spectacular problems with the VW GTI and Nissan GT-R. no thanks.
    DCT is a dual clutch transmission
    DSG is a direct shift gear box.

they are the same thing. Just different names. All direct shift transmissions have dual clutches. That is how they are able to directly shift from one gear to the next with no time lapse between shifts.

Personally, I don't see the point. With conventional planetary-gearset automatics now being able to pre-stage upshifts, who cares if your shift time is 0.05 or 0.00 secs?

And while I am sure the more expensive Nissan and Audi units are not quite as bad, the VW DSG is horrible in extreme heat or stop-and-go driving. And utterly intolerable if it's both. It's like being in a car with someone who is just learning how to drive stick.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    they are the same thing. Just different names. All direct shift transmissions have dual clutches. That is how they are able to directly shift from one gear to the next with no time lapse between shifts.

Personally, I don't see the point. With conventional planetary-gearset automatics now being able to pre-stage upshifts, who cares if your shift time is 0.05 or 0.00 secs?
    Don't tell BMW that :P
    they're able to pre-stage when in WOT throttle situations like straight-line acceleration. There is no pre-staging while modulating throttle on a road course. It's a big difference, but DCT's and DSG's still have some problems anticipating which gear is going to be selected and can take even longer than the slush box, and the DCT would add another 100-150lbs over a 6L80E.

that's a very good point. these DCT and DSG typically have the next upshift ready. Downshifts are not instantaneous.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by M5eater
    I would be shocked if they didn't offer a 6MT and a DCT together.

BMW designed a special transmission for a Market in which they likely expect to sell <10K units, and the 6060 is so prolifically used in LS-V8's it wouldn't cost them anything in development $$$.

A DCT is unrealistic anyway, I expect a 6L80E with tap shift, but GM does not have a history of out-sourcing major components like this for special circumstances. They had to put a lot of their projects on hold during the restructure, their 8 speed autos included, so I'm sure a DCT isn't even a glimmar in an engineer's eye just yet except maybe for a future C7.
    I'm strictly talking consistency with an argument on this forum. If you demand a V8 in the purist form, then don't yap about wanting a DTC or DSG...

atssponge is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): G8 GT and WRX Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    a 90E isn't necessary here, a 80E is more than capable of handling 450HP. Iirc they don't start breaking until you past 500whp infact.
    Wish list is not a necessary list. Why wouldn't we want more head room with little weight penalty? And 450 WHP is nothing these days. I sure as ship don't want a tranny on the high end of its max torque. Guys are burning up the 80 all the time. People will predictably follow stupid with this car and then complain why did GM make them so weak. It is all moot for me as I will NOT buy this car as an auto or DCT.

Wish list is not a necessary list. Why wouldn't we want more head room with little weight penalty? And 450 WHP is nothing these days. I sure as ship don't want a tranny on the high end of its max torque. Guys are burning up the 80 all the time. People will predictably follow stupid with this car and then complain why did GM make them so weak. It is all moot for me as I will NOT buy this car as an auto or DCT.
    I wish the ATS-V had a Porsche PDK 7 speed or audi-stronic, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. Similiarly, a 6L90E probably isn't going to happen for the simple purpose of vastly over-engineering the car. This won't be a 4300lb 551ft/lb vehicle. It's going to make a lot less power, and it's going to have to move a lot less mass.
    Also,
    The ATS will not have 450whp.
    Second, The 6L80E is in every 469HP, 4300lb STS-V
    Third, The 6L80E is in lots of pickup trucks/SUV's with LS2-sized power plants and they do just fine, including every LS3 corvette and LS3 powered , 2 ton G8 GXP.

a 6L80E in a 3700-3800lb 450hp ATS is going to leave plenty of breathing room.
    I'm just saying, that realisticly, it makes sense that they'd use a 6L80E in this situation. Considering we're close to launch time for the ATS and all the powertrains have 6-speeds, we're going to get this trans (and not the new 8speeds) in this car.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    Don't tell BMW that :P
    they're able to pre-stage when in WOT throttle situations like straight-line acceleration. There is no pre-staging while modulating throttle on a road course. It's a big difference, but DCT's and DSG's still have some problems anticipating which gear is going to be selected and can take even longer than the slush box, and the DCT would add another 100-150lbs over a 6L80E.
    The DCT would add 100-150 lbs in weight over a 6L80? Meaning that a DCT would be about 250-300 lbs heavier then the 6060?
    lunarx and lunarx like this.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by atssponge View Post
    First wish: They would hurry up an produce this car. I will be at the dealer and buy it off the truck. For the love of God, build this car right now!
    Welcome. I agree. Build the damn car allready! The more I read about it the more I want it desperately. I hate to say it, tho, but V8 is deal breaker for me. No V8 (or 6M, but we know it will get this) Ill probably move backwards to an E9xM.
    lunarx and lunarx like this.

tpellenb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI
    Quote Originally Posted by concorso
    Welcome. I agree. Build the damn car allready! The more I read about it the more I want it desperately. I hate to say it, tho, but V8 is deal breaker for me. No V8 (or 6M, but we know it will get this) Ill probably move backwards to an E9xM.
    I would be very happy with a twin turbo V6 ATS-V provided it made the power. Love what forced induction does to smaller displacements. Besides, I see the cannibalizing of CTS-V sales as motivation to not fit the ATS with a V8.

Maybe there is nothing In the rumor mill but I'm surprised you guys haven't mentioned a supercharged V6. They supercharged the CTS 3.6 V6 and put it into the Ciel to the tune of 380hp(?). I feel like achieving 420 is just a matter of tuning.

lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 911S, 10 E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by tpellenb View Post
    I would be very happy with a twin turbo V6 ATS-V provided it made the power. Love what forced induction does to smaller displacements. Besides, I see the cannibalizing of CTS-V sales as motivation to not fit the ATS with a V8.

Maybe there is nothing In the rumor mill but I'm surprised you guys haven't mentioned a supercharged V6. They supercharged the CTS 3.6 V6 and put it into the Ciel to the tune of 380hp(?). I feel like achieving 420 is just a matter of tuning.
    You would not want a supercharged V6.
    That's even worse than a twin turbo V6.
    There are more heat soak and parasitic loss issues with superchargers.

I like that Cadillac is building a lightweight performance car.
    However, I'm embarassed for them for admitting that they needed BMW to set the bar for them.
    Now it's as if they feel happy to limit their performance to BMW levels, when they are finally in a position to beat them.

I'm open to all cars in this segment but I would really respect Cadillac for putting the legendary LS in the ATS-V.
    It's the best performance engine they have and it belongs in their best sedan chassis.
    Nobody else could touch that combination.
    A buzzy TT V6 is not going to put Cadillac in the lead, it just assures they will remain 2nd to their competition.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.