Cadillac Owners Forum banner

IF the Cadillac ATS-V gets a V8...

46K views 180 replies 29 participants last post by  JimmyH 
#1 ·
...it'll be naturally aspirated - no supercharger or turbo (unless plans change). It still appears as if the ATS-V will get the twin turbo 3.0 liter direct injected V6. Either way, I'm thinking this doesn't sound too good for people who want a small Cadillac to compete with the new BMW M3 and cars like it. The ATS-V is probably not going to be a whole lot lighter than the CTS-V - but it'll have probably 100 less horsepower. GM may surprise us, though...

#4 ·
I wouldn't be looking for it prior to MY2015. Think about it. Cadillac has too focus on the Gen3 CTS. It would be a mistake to worry about an ATS-V right now. Once the Gen3 CTS is out the door, I'd imagine the V will debut. Also if it is a V8 it has to debut in the Corvette first (which I believe is a 2014), if it's the Twin Turbo I doubt that drops until 2014.5 or so. My money is on the V more than likely to be a MY2016.

#5 ·
Wow. That's the first time I'm hearing this - though I don't doubt you...

I wouldn't be looking for it prior to MY2015. Think about it. Cadillac has too focus on the Gen3 CTS. It would be a mistake to worry about an ATS-V right now. Once the Gen3 CTS is out the door, I'd imagine the V will debut. Also if it is a V8 it has to debut in the Corvette first (which I believe is a 2014), if it's the Twin Turbo I doubt that drops until 2014.5 or so. My money is on the V more than likely to be a MY2016.

#7 ·
My cousin is a Engineer at GM (Milford Test Track) and he's currently testing the emissions for the twin turbo 3.0L V6. Not sure if it's going into the V model but it's in it's final stages.

I prefer a V8 ATS-V myself.

#8 ·
... It still appears as if the ATS-V will get the twin turbo 3.0 liter direct injected V6. ... The ATS-V is probably not going to be a whole lot lighter than the CTS-V - but it'll have probably 100 less horsepower. ...
Why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice in it while you're at it!

... I prefer a V8 ATS-V myself.
Yeah that.

Jason, we need to get your cousin out for a few beers one of these days.

#19 ·
Jason, we need to get your cousin out for a few beers one of these days.
We were watching the Michigan Sugar Bowl game the other day and he was telling me it's a 3.6L TT making over 400 HP most likely for the V model. He works on the calibrations/emissions.

#9 ·
I cant see why the V8 wouldnt be a good option. Will the ttV6 make 450 hp? The M3 already makes 415 and thatll surely get a TTV8 bump to around 450. Its also lighter then what the ATS-V is looking to weigh.

That TTV6 will almost surely be close in weight to the LS V8. The V6 is allready more expensive to build then the LSV8...the TTV6 will be even more expensive then the V6. I think the TTV6 should simply replace the V6.

#10 ·
From a production standpoint, the LS3 (or its successor) makes the most sense. But a luxury performance sedan is not about making sense. There are rumors flying around that Cadillac (probably GM in general) wants to get away from pushrod engines. I love my LS3, but I don't expect that choice to be around much longer. I think GM is the only manufacturer left who is widely using them.

#11 ·
From a production standpoint, the LS3 (or its successor) makes the most sense. But a luxury performance sedan is not about making sense. There are rumors flying around that Cadillac (probably GM in general) wants to get away from pushrod engines. I love my LS3, but I don't expect that choice to be around much longer. I think GM is the only manufacturer left who is widely using them.
I'm pretty sure all the domestics use at least one or two Pushrods in their trucks and SUV's, but certinally GM is the last one shoving them into sedans and performance cars. Assuming gas prices don't suddenly spike another $2 (which is entirely possible these days) I expect another 20 years of life out of the SBC and pushrod technology before either the efficiency technology just can't keep up in making them easier on the wallet or F/I V6's just totally wash them out of any advantages other than the noise. We already see a little bit of that today acutally, the ecoboost for example..

#12 ·
I don't count truck engines. Efficiency isn't a concern there. Though I suppose that is changing these days. Ford's V8 is overhead cam, though I suppose they aren't really any more advanced than a pushrod.
But as I said, there are rumors that the powers at GM want the pushrod retired.

#15 ·
Efficency is just as big a player in truck and SUV land as it is anywhere else. That's why when gas prices doubled truck/suv sales drove off a clif, and that's part of the reason why the ecoboost F150 is accounting for 40% of all F150 sales.
http://green.autoblog.com/2011/12/24/ford-f-150-ecoboost-hits-100-000-sales/

and even more to the point;
Still more impressive is the fact that Ford also sold plenty of 3.7-liter V6 models as well, and the overall take rate of V6 engines is over 50 percent on the year.

#16 ·
Hey, I am quite happy with my pushrod engine. And if sales of big SUVs and pickups declined, it was everywhere but in chicago. I see brand new Tundras, F150, Silverados and Lexus, Infiniti full size suvs everywhere. And they are all driving 75 mph+. They don't seem too interested in conservation :lol:

#17 ·
Same here.

The only way (most) people are going to become concerned about saving gasoline is if they're not sure they're going to be able to fill up on their next tank. The current Administration seems to be trying to make that happen.

#22 ·
It's that kind of record that makes me think waiting a year of two for the ATS-V might mean an even better power level than 470 hp.

Of course, it's about then that Cap 'n Trade will start up, and GM will be putting out 3-cylinder Vs.

#25 ·
I think politics is going to reshape the automotive world over the next decade. Sadly. But I think it is going negatively affect manufacturers like BMW more, who will have to start making cars that people will buy based on their needs, rather than being based on image.

#26 ·
I agree.. and the US is also becomming less of a centerpoint for decision making for automobiles. You can't design a car just for americans anymore, you have to think about it on a global economic scale, and while everyone can agree an american V8 is nice, I'm thinking even more would think a fuel effecient V6 in light of what the rest of the world pays in gas is even better. Which is also why I will probally be holding onto the V2 for a good long time. Dodge and Chrysler being the true exceptions, because even if Chevrolet starts selling Caprice's to the public, it's no V2. Although, I can't honestly say that I would remain V2 loyal should gas hit say, $5-6 a gallon.

#31 ·
I am starting to get used to the idea of twin turbo 6. They seem to have it pretty well figured out now.

I still remember driving an old eagle talon tsi that felt like there was switch that turned the power on and off around 4000 rpm. It was horrible. That guy installed a turbo timer that kept his car running for 5 min when he parked. That sort of thing seems to be in the past though.

#35 ·
Not really having followed the reliability of today's turbos, what's really involved in their maintenance? If they have cast iron housings, they tend to get an exterior of rust which is, of course, accelerated by the heat they see. They also have an oil supply for their bearings, I believe, so those might have to be replaced at some point. There has to be BOV, but those must last a long time unless the spring lets go.

What else can there be?

#39 ·
rand49er said:
Not really having followed the reliability of today's turbos, what's really involved in their maintenance? If they have cast iron housings, they tend to get an exterior of rust which is, of course, accelerated by the heat they see. They also have an oil supply for their bearings, I believe, so those might have to be replaced at some point. There has to be BOV, but those must last a long time unless the spring lets go.

What else can there be?
No to BOV. The Ecoboosts don't have them...

#40 ·
Thank god..
They have a valve, but it's a BPV. It doesn't vent into the atmopshere, it recirculates it into the system. Audi and VW have used this kind of setup for years. Leave the turkey noises to the Civic's, Evo's and STi's. If they're even more like Audi/VW it's a diaphragm, not a spring and piston.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.