IF the Cadillac ATS-V gets a V8...
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, IF the Cadillac ATS-V gets a V8... in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; ...it'll be naturally aspirated - no supercharger or turbo (unless plans change). It still appears as if the ATS-V will ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

IF the Cadillac ATS-V gets a V8...

...it'll be naturally aspirated - no supercharger or turbo (unless plans change). It still appears as if the ATS-V will get the twin turbo 3.0 liter direct injected V6. Either way, I'm thinking this doesn't sound too good for people who want a small Cadillac to compete with the new BMW M3 and cars like it. The ATS-V is probably not going to be a whole lot lighter than the CTS-V - but it'll have probably 100 less horsepower. GM may surprise us, though...
    sfbreh and sfbreh like this.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

buttfish77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: IF the Cadillac ATS-V gets a V8...

How long after the ATS sedan can we expect the release of the "V"?

My guess is one year. If the ATS-V is getting the twin turbo V6 which won't be available until late 2013 - then I guess that's about when we'll see the ATS-V. Hopefully there are no further delays with that engine (LF3).
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I wouldn't be looking for it prior to MY2015. Think about it. Cadillac has too focus on the Gen3 CTS. It would be a mistake to worry about an ATS-V right now. Once the Gen3 CTS is out the door, I'd imagine the V will debut. Also if it is a V8 it has to debut in the Corvette first (which I believe is a 2014), if it's the Twin Turbo I doubt that drops until 2014.5 or so. My money is on the V more than likely to be a MY2016.

Wow. That's the first time I'm hearing this - though I don't doubt you...

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    I wouldn't be looking for it prior to MY2015. Think about it. Cadillac has too focus on the Gen3 CTS. It would be a mistake to worry about an ATS-V right now. Once the Gen3 CTS is out the door, I'd imagine the V will debut. Also if it is a V8 it has to debut in the Corvette first (which I believe is a 2014), if it's the Twin Turbo I doubt that drops until 2014.5 or so. My money is on the V more than likely to be a MY2016.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

I don't think that's bad. If it were an LS V8, the engine shouldn't bloat the scales and should be inline with the V1. And since current LS motors are in the 430hp range, it would be competitive, methinks...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

JD03Cobra is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Platinum CTS V

My cousin is a Engineer at GM (Milford Test Track) and he's currently testing the emissions for the twin turbo 3.0L V6. Not sure if it's going into the V model but it's in it's final stages.

I prefer a V8 ATS-V myself.

rand49er is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    ... It still appears as if the ATS-V will get the twin turbo 3.0 liter direct injected V6. ... The ATS-V is probably not going to be a whole lot lighter than the CTS-V - but it'll have probably 100 less horsepower. ...
    Why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice in it while you're at it!

Quote Originally Posted by JD03Cobra View Post
    ... I prefer a V8 ATS-V myself.
    Yeah that.

Jason, we need to get your cousin out for a few beers one of these days.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I cant see why the V8 wouldnt be a good option. Will the ttV6 make 450 hp? The M3 already makes 415 and thatll surely get a TTV8 bump to around 450. Its also lighter then what the ATS-V is looking to weigh.

That TTV6 will almost surely be close in weight to the LS V8. The V6 is allready more expensive to build then the LSV8...the TTV6 will be even more expensive then the V6. I think the TTV6 should simply replace the V6.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

From a production standpoint, the LS3 (or its successor) makes the most sense. But a luxury performance sedan is not about making sense. There are rumors flying around that Cadillac (probably GM in general) wants to get away from pushrod engines. I love my LS3, but I don't expect that choice to be around much longer. I think GM is the only manufacturer left who is widely using them.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    From a production standpoint, the LS3 (or its successor) makes the most sense. But a luxury performance sedan is not about making sense. There are rumors flying around that Cadillac (probably GM in general) wants to get away from pushrod engines. I love my LS3, but I don't expect that choice to be around much longer. I think GM is the only manufacturer left who is widely using them.
    I'm pretty sure all the domestics use at least one or two Pushrods in their trucks and SUV's, but certinally GM is the last one shoving them into sedans and performance cars. Assuming gas prices don't suddenly spike another $2 (which is entirely possible these days) I expect another 20 years of life out of the SBC and pushrod technology before either the efficiency technology just can't keep up in making them easier on the wallet or F/I V6's just totally wash them out of any advantages other than the noise. We already see a little bit of that today acutally, the ecoboost for example..

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I don't count truck engines. Efficiency isn't a concern there. Though I suppose that is changing these days. Ford's V8 is overhead cam, though I suppose they aren't really any more advanced than a pushrod.
    But as I said, there are rumors that the powers at GM want the pushrod retired.

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Chrysler has the HEMI as well.

rand49er is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

... There are rumors flying around that Cadillac (probably GM in general) wants to get away from pushrod engines. ...
    I wouldn't be surprised that it's as much of a marketing/PR thing as just plain technology advancement.

You can't deny that not having overhead valves reduces the overall height of the cylinder head (hence can have lower profile hood design) and to some extent engine weight not to mention the somewhat greater manufacturing expense of the overhead cam heads. Still, it's inevitable the distinct efficiency advantage that multiple valve per cylinder, overhead cam designs have will eventually cause them to supplant the cam-in-block designs. Marketing people probably are pushing this as much as anyone. Bean counters less so. I wonder which side of the fence the engineers are on.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

I don't count truck engines. Efficiency isn't a concern there. Though I suppose that is changing these days. Ford's V8 is overhead cam, though I suppose they aren't really any more advanced than a pushrod.
    But as I said, there are rumors that the powers at GM want the pushrod retired.
    Efficency is just as big a player in truck and SUV land as it is anywhere else. That's why when gas prices doubled truck/suv sales drove off a clif, and that's part of the reason why the ecoboost F150 is accounting for 40% of all F150 sales.
    http://green.autoblog.com/2011/12/24...100-000-sales/

and even more to the point;
    Still more impressive is the fact that Ford also sold plenty of 3.7-liter V6 models as well, and the overall take rate of V6 engines is over 50 percent on the year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.