IF the Cadillac ATS-V gets a V8... - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, IF the Cadillac ATS-V gets a V8... in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I think ATS-Y is a better name -- Y U NO USE V8?...
    Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Re: IF the Cadillac ATS-V gets a V8...

I think ATS-Y is a better name -- Y U NO USE V8?
    lunarx, lunarx, Stingroo and 1 others like this.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

It's a brave new world.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

A bit late, but just one quick comment on the the V-6 vs I-6 debate.

The I-6, while it may have some packaging issues with respect to its length, is a naturally-balanced configuration with two cylinders always at 120 deg to each of the other two pairs making counterbalancing a bit easier and a very smooth motor. Not saying the V-6 can't be smooth, just that it takes a little more effort on the part of the designers.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by lunarx View Post
    If that's true, you are effectively saying there will not be an ATS-V.
    Maybey they should call it the ATS-U for underperforming.
    A killer V is in the bag, I hope they don't screw it up and go U on us trying to be clever.
    The ATS-V doesn't need to beat anything but the M3 and it doesn't need a V8 to do that. Cadillac is trying to stay away from V8s in all but it's most expensive LARGE vehicles. The last thing that some executives in the company want to see happen is a V6 Escalade and full-size, premium flagship. In order to do that, they're keeping V8s out of everything else but the CTS-V (the only exception to the rule and even THAT wasn't easy to accomplish). If the M5 ever gets a turbo V6, Cadillac will surely follow suit.

The M3 will have around 430 horsepower. The only way the ATS-V is getting a V8 is if they can't bring the twin turbo V6 to the table in time.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 911S, 10 E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    The ATS-V doesn't need to beat anything but the M3 and it doesn't need a V8 to do that. Cadillac is trying to stay away from V8s in all but it's most expensive LARGE vehicles. The last thing that some executives in the company want to see happen is a V6 Escalade and full-size, premium flagship. In order to do that, they're keeping V8s out of everything else but the CTS-V (the only exception to the rule and even THAT wasn't easy to accomplish). If the M5 ever gets a turbo V6, Cadillac will surely follow suit.

The M3 will have around 430 horsepower. The only way the ATS-V is getting a V8 is if they can't bring the twin turbo V6 to the table in time.
    News Flash, M3's are slow (although with very good handling).
    Underachieving because they want to aim low is not going to earn GM any respect.

The ATS-V, as an Expensive Small High-Performance car, is worthy of a V8 as much as any large expensive car.
    A V8 would make it an epic performance car with huge tuning potential.
    A V6-TT would make it something that becomes quickly obsolete.

I'm really surprized to hear people on this forum are willing to settle for mediocrity, when perfection is so easily attainable with proven technology.

You might have inside information, regarding the V6-TT, I am dissapointed if what you say is true.
    Although GM could still get it right, right?
    Is there any hope left?
    bruff1977 and bruff1977 like this.

Cadillac is trying to stay away from V8s in all but it's most expensive LARGE vehicles.
    Then executives at the company have the craniums up their keisters. Yeah, I get the long-term. Sure, develop a powerful turbo V6. Put it in the next CTS in a model that slots below the CTS-V (and fill that product gap). But the ATS-V is a performance niche, not a mainstream product. Its impact on CAFE is negligible no matter what's under the hood -- but its impact on the brand is devastating if it stumbles. In some ways it needs to be more conservative, not more radical. Prove the TTV6's mettle elsewhere, then drop a hotter version in the A when it's not such a huge leap of faith.

Then again, the XLR-V and STS-V had such a huge impact on the brand, and the turbo SRX sold like hotcakes...

News Flash, M3's are slow (although with very good handling).
    Underachieving because they want to aim low is not going to earn GM any respect.

The ATS-V, as an Expensive Small High-Performance car, is worthy of a V8 as much as any large expensive car.
    A V8 would make it an epic performance car with huge tuning potential.
    A V6-TT would make it something that becomes quickly obsolete.
    Cadillac wants to compete with the big guys and does want to be on top of the world - but that isn't going to happen over night. They're aiming for the M3 with the ATS-V. If all goes well, maybe they'll aim higher in the future. One step at a time.

How is the 335i obsolete? The turbo straight six at BMW has a ton of aftermarket support and now that a similar engine is going into the M3, it'll have even more.

"No V8" is not "in cement" at this point in time but more people inside Cadillac want the TT V6 than the V8 and from what I hear, nobody is presenting valid arguments for the V8.

CAN they fit a V8? Sure. Sure, they can probably bring us an ATS-V with 600 horsepower. But that's overkill for the goal. A V8 is always an option if BMW or other competition pulls something stronger out of their sleeve...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

There really is no such thing as overkill when it comes to performance.
    Who here wants cheap easy HP taken off the table?

Honestly, I'm not surprized that GM is hoping to con us into accepting a lesser engine, instead of the real thing.
    They probably hope it will tank, as I bet most insiders at GM don't even want a V Series.
    Also, aftermarket tuning potential would not be one of their concerns either.
    Aren't fast cars adolescent and irresponsible?

It's just sad they are going back to their practice of aiming low instead of going for the kill.
    There is no excuse when they have the star engine sitting on the shelf screaming to be put in the game.
    I have a problem buying into a half hearted ATS-V effort.

Honestly, I'm not surprized that GM is hoping to con us into accepting a lesser engine, instead of the real thing.
    They probably hope it will tank, as I bet most insiders at GM don't even want a V Series.

It's just sad they are going back to their practice of aiming low instead of going for the kill.
    There is no excuse when they have the star engine sitting on the shelf screaming to be put in the game.
    The CTS-V is a great effort and even IT wasn't better than the competition on the first try. That being said, the ATS-V CAN perform better than the M3 without a V8.

Just an FYI - I'd rather see a V8 as well. I'd never complain if the ATS-V turned out to be a monster that "blew the doors off" the GTR. I just understand Cadillac's point of view and don't feel they're giving us a half-hearted attempt at giving Cadillac enthusiasts what they want - a viable alternative - OR better - than what's available at BMW.

"...the ATS-V CAN perform better than the M3 without a V8."

This is true. I'm sure GM Powertrain still has engineers who can build on the excellent V6 and the I4 turbocharging knowledgebase and produce a great engine... if they're given the job and given enough time to work through the challenges. But will GM make that investment? Will they stay focused on the task long enough for it to survive the scrutiny that will befall a BMW M3 competitor? This engine has to be good enough to replace the Corvette LS3 V8 on Day One. Anything less is half-hearted. Sure, GM has a lot riding on a turbo V6, if it needs one for full-size pickups, but that's a different target; the 450hp screamer that an M3 competitor needs requires its own brief. GM has just doubled-down on the Corvette V8; does it make business sense to build a direct competitor at the same time? They have limited resources, and global products with far more impact on the next several quarters that need GM Powertrain's best efforts.

I would be incredibly impressed to learn that GM had the vision and depth to make that kind of investment. I just don't think it's likely. It think it's more likely to be a let's-try-something good-enough-for-now more-important-work-is-waiting effort. I think of many well-they-tried and because-the-competition-has-one engines in GM's past. And I say, "prove me wrong."

.Jinx

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Give it up Sal, you are arguing with a wall.

Seems like we all want a V8, as our 1st choice.
    Glad to hear that.

boycer11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

A V8 would be sweet. A lot of aftermarket support out their. Put a supercharger on it and it will have some serious horsepower. It will surprise a lot of people and be a blast to drive.

al pettee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V Sedan

6.2L V8 for the ATS-V.
    6.2L supercharged V8 for the CTS-V.

Makes the most sense to most of the potential buyers of the ATS-V.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by lunarx

Sorry, but I've seen turbo SHOs put a whuppin' on Z06s in standing miles. And that's with FWD and traction issues. Half hearted nothing if it's done right...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.