IF the Cadillac ATS-V gets a V8... - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, IF the Cadillac ATS-V gets a V8... in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by Jinx If no one cares about the difference between a turbo V6 and a turbo I6, why ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: IF the Cadillac ATS-V gets a V8...

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    If no one cares about the difference between a turbo V6 and a turbo I6, why would the difference between a turbo I6 and a NA V8 be a problem? Your "one simple reason" doesn't really make sense.
    "one simple reason"?? I do not understand what you mean.

A handful of enthusiasts might understand the the difference between an inline 6 and a V6. Most buyers will not.
    Other than the ravings of a bunch of auto journalists, what evidence have you that BMW's inline 6 is better than GM's V6? It's BMW being brilliant at marketing (we'll underrate our engines so everyone compares our "weaker" engines to the competition and think they are magical because they are just as powerful) I'll give them that.

simgolfer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V sedan, manual, silver/ebony, airaid, SW catback
    BMW does inline 6 engines because they're good at them and they have a long history with them. Most manufacturers including the domestics, gave up on them generations ago. GM has similar expertise and history with the small block V8 and should stick with it even if just in specialty vehicles in the future. Cult followers for both camps.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH

A handful of enthusiasts might understand the the difference between an inline 6 and a V6. Most buyers will not.
    Other than the ravings of a bunch of auto journalists, what evidence have you that BMW's inline 6 is better than GM's V6? It's BMW being brilliant at marketing (we'll underrate our engines so everyone compares our "weaker" engines to the competition and think they are magical because they are just as powerful) I'll give them that.
    I'd take BMW's I6 over any V6 anyday...

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by simgolfer View Post
    BMW does inline 6 engines because they're good at them and they have a long history with them. Most manufacturers including the domestics, gave up on them generations ago. GM has similar expertise and history with the small block V8 and should stick with it even if just in specialty vehicles in the future. Cult followers for both camps.
    uhh.. The LL8 Atlas in the Chevrolet Blazer was an I6, it was a ward's 10 best engines from 02-05. That was a wonderful engine, infact it got a mid-model refresh and made 291 HP (the Small Block V8 Blazer only made 308) . No idea why they canned it or excluded it to a freaking SUV. Maybe the package was too large, I don't know. However, they sold 1.5million of the things.

And the Slant 6 in the jeeps were being made up until very recently when they finnally ditched them for V6's for the fuel economy. People worship those engines like they're gods.

Maybe you're referring to their use in passenger vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I'd take BMW's I6 over any V6 anyday...
    There's alot of things you would take that don't make any sense.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    uhh.. The LL8 Atlas in the Chevrolet Blazer was an I6, it was a ward's 10 best engines from 02-05. That was a wonderful engine, infact it got a mid-model refresh and made 291 HP (the Small Block V8 Blazer only made 308) . No idea why they canned it or excluded it to a freaking SUV. Maybe the package was too large, I don't know. However, they sold 1.5million of the things.

And the Slant 6 in the jeeps were being made up until very recently when they finnally ditched them for V6's for the fuel economy. People worship those engines like they're gods.

Maybe you're referring to their use in passenger vehicles?

they say packaging an inline 6 in a compact engine bay is a nightmare. Probably why bmw cost so much to service; there's no room to get at parts of the engine.
    but I would bet that's why GM and chrysler only used those engines in SUVs with bigger engine bays.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    There is one simple reason why the ATS-V is going to get a turbo 6; because the M3, its target, is going to have one.
    You said it. I don't understand what you mean. Are you simply pointing out what a (dumb) GM will probably do and use as an excuse, or are you saying it's also a good idea?

M3 is an enthusiast's car.

What evidence have you that GM's turbo V6 is better than BMW's inline 6? It doesn't exist yet.
    And you acknowledge that BMW's inline six has marketing cachet.
    In light of these two facts, how can one advocate a turbo V6 as anything but a crazy and needless risk for the ATS-V?

.Jinx
    V8, sale. No V8, no sale.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Unfortunately, the ATS-V is not going to have a V8. Might as well not hate each other arguing over what's better. Me? Personally? I like the I6 over V6 for natural balance - as mentioned. However, JimmyH has a good point in regards to room in the engine bay. The twin turbo V6 ATS-V and twin turbo I6 M3 will perform very closely. The ATS-V will have a much nicer interior.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

Where's D3? You guys ready for an atsv engine transplant?

Where's D3? You guys ready for an atsv engine transplant?
    When you come down here next month you can tell me if my little twin turbo V6 doesn't replace anything you could want in a V8 besides exhaust note.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

Lord Cadillac rockin the Audi oops

Lord Cadillac rockin the Audi oops
    Yeah, remember what I paid for it while you're mashing the pedal and mushing into the driver's seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac

When you come down here next month you can tell me if my little twin turbo V6 doesn't replace anything you could want in a V8 besides exhaust note.
    Troublemaker.

he's the king of troublemaking

And the king of free martinis...

lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 911S, 10 E63 AMG
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac
    Unfortunately, the ATS-V is not going to have a V8. Might as well not hate each other arguing over what's better. Me? ...... The twin turbo V6 ATS-V and twin turbo I6 M3 will perform very closely. The ATS-V will have a much nicer interior.
    If that's true, you are effectively saying there will not be an ATS-V.
    Maybey they should call it the ATS-U for underperforming.
    A killer V is in the bag, I hope they don't screw it up and go U on us trying to be clever.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.