IF the Cadillac ATS-V gets a V8... - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, IF the Cadillac ATS-V gets a V8... in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I am starting to get used to the idea of twin turbo 6. They seem to have it pretty well ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    I am starting to get used to the idea of twin turbo 6. They seem to have it pretty well figured out now.

I still remember driving an old eagle talon tsi that felt like there was switch that turned the power on and off around 4000 rpm. It was horrible. That guy installed a turbo timer that kept his car running for 5 min when he parked. That sort of thing seems to be in the past though.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: IF the Cadillac ATS-V gets a V8...

Turbo is so mainstream these days with so much proven technology, all that lag and those problems are a thing of the past...

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Turbo is so mainstream these days with so much proven technology, all that lag and those problems are a thing of the past...
    yup... I can't think of any F/I turbo engine that doesn't make tons of power and torque low end these days. The ecoboost 3.5 in the 150 makes 400+ at 2500rpms for crying out loud.

My only concern with turbos is repair costs when something under hood decides to take a crap at 105000 miles.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Not really having followed the reliability of today's turbos, what's really involved in their maintenance? If they have cast iron housings, they tend to get an exterior of rust which is, of course, accelerated by the heat they see. They also have an oil supply for their bearings, I believe, so those might have to be replaced at some point. There has to be BOV, but those must last a long time unless the spring lets go.

What else can there be?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

I just mean a twin turbocharged, multi-valve, multi-overhead-cam and all its associated hardware versus a simple old pushrod, naturally aspirated engine. You know which one is going to be cheaper and easier to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I just mean a twin turbocharged, multi-valve, multi-overhead-cam and all its associated hardware versus a simple old pushrod, naturally aspirated engine. You know which one is going to be cheaper and easier to fix.
    Tru dat.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

I don't know of any S4 owner that doesn't blow his $2-3K Turbos at some point in his ownership if they're stock. it's a fact of B5 S4 life, and the APB is wedged in there, so you have to remove the entire powertrain to swap them. That said, even 1.8T turbo failures are not heard of. If properly maintained on good oil, and stock boost they'll last 200K, and some of it is the poor design on the BW K03's, however, you absoultely can't let anything go, or neglect the engine like some POS 2.0L Neon, because I don't know of any F/I motor with turbochargers were turbo failure isn't a concern at some point.

The old 40V V8's though require very little. PITA timing chain replacements (also requires powertrain removal) are the biggest concerns, but it's not a $2-3K fix.

I hate to say it, but your concerns are legitimate, there is absolutely some truth to the idea that F/I motors have the possibility to fail more often. Will it be a problem in a ATS-V? I don't think so, even the lease's are going to get on-time oil changes and warranty fixes. On some sonic or ultra-compact with a tiny 1.4T, I'd be more cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er
    Not really having followed the reliability of today's turbos, what's really involved in their maintenance? If they have cast iron housings, they tend to get an exterior of rust which is, of course, accelerated by the heat they see. They also have an oil supply for their bearings, I believe, so those might have to be replaced at some point. There has to be BOV, but those must last a long time unless the spring lets go.

What else can there be?
    No to BOV. The Ecoboosts don't have them...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    No to BOV. The Ecoboosts don't have them...
    Thank god..
    They have a valve, but it's a BPV. It doesn't vent into the atmopshere, it recirculates it into the system. Audi and VW have used this kind of setup for years. Leave the turkey noises to the Civic's, Evo's and STi's. If they're even more like Audi/VW it's a diaphragm, not a spring and piston.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I don't know of any S4 owner that doesn't blow his $2-3K Turbos at some point in his ownership if they're stock. it's a fact of B5 S4 life, and the APB is wedged in there, so you have to remove the entire powertrain to swap them. That said, even 1.8T turbo failures are not heard of. If properly maintained on good oil, and stock boost they'll last 200K, and some of it is the poor design on the BW K03's, however, you absoultely can't let anything go, or neglect the engine like some POS 2.0L Neon, because I don't know of any F/I motor with turbochargers were turbo failure isn't a concern at some point.

The old 40V V8's though require very little. PITA timing chain replacements (also requires powertrain removal) are the biggest concerns, but it's not a $2-3K fix.

I hate to say it, but your concerns are legitimate, there is absolutely some truth to the idea that F/I motors have the possibility to fail more often. Will it be a problem in a ATS-V? I don't think so, even the lease's are going to get on-time oil changes and warranty fixes. On some sonic or ultra-compact with a tiny 1.4T, I'd be more cautious.
    None of that's a problem if you trade your car before 100k. But what if you decide to keep it? 100k miles is 3.5 years for me. I plan to keep my Camaro for at least 5 years.

Shutup James.

None of that's a problem if you trade your car before 100k. But what if you decide to keep it? 100k miles is 3.5 years for me. I plan to keep my Camaro for at least 5 years.

Shutup James.
    being a little proactive I see?

wut?

He actually listened to me

So, the BPV just allows the excess exhaust pressure to route around the turbo and on downstream?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.