Cadillac ATS-V - Twin Turbo V6 - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS-V - Twin Turbo V6 in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Now you're talking! Sign me up for that. Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk...
    lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Mallett 427 CTS-V, 10 E63 AMG
    Now you're talking!
    Sign me up for that.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: Cadillac ATS-V - Twin Turbo V6

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Met a guy today that works on the ATS at GM. We were both on the Fall Cruise that Torxila (George) posted a thread about. This guy wouldn't reveal any info but did say that he couldn't believe that Akerson actually told the public what motor would be going into the ATS-V in an interview or some public statement. He nonetheless could not come right out and say what it is.

So, I searched for information on his statement and found two interesting items. The first one is the 6.2L with 470 hp as we've mentioned above. The other speaks of 530 hp but a little less directly:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...y-dan-akerson/ Now, THAT would be some serious horsepower!

If anyone can find a different quote by Akerson that's more to the point than what I've found, post it up please.

Another very interesting tidbit, besides his confirmation that a manual trans would be offered, was a discussion we had regarding weight. "This guy" says he was personally very pleased with how they kept the weight down ... "significantly less than the current CTS." Though he wouldn't say exactly and less than the current CTS still means oink oink, I still got the distinct impression that it was in the neighborhood of 3700 lbs, maybe something approaching 3600 lbs. I'd take anything in between. Imagine a car weighing, say, 3650 lbs (give or take) and 470 hp with a 6-spd and a warranty. Hot damn!

Heresay, heresay ... I know, I know, but I just had to post this up.
    the 4.4L V8 turbo is in refernce to the S63 and S63tu, so I'm not seeing the correlation to the ATS-V in this interview, if anything it's even more confusing because the power figure he's quoting is less than what they're using to compete with said 4.4L turbo car right now. Aside from the fact that, the said 4.4L turbo V8 car is a midsized sedan and the ATS is presumably a compact.

None of that link makes sense to me.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

470 hp, manual trans, and <3800 lbs, I am in.

lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Mallett 427 CTS-V, 10 E63 AMG
    Those euro guys will shit their pants when this hits the streets.
    I see increased market share for Cadillac.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    470 hp, manual trans, and <3800 lbs, I am in.
    If 0AT E03 likes this, then so do I.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarx View Post
    Those euro guys will shit their pants when this hits the streets.
    I see increased market share for Cadillac. ...
    Agreed.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    the 4.4L V8 turbo is in refernce to the S63 and S63tu, so I'm not seeing the correlation to the ATS-V in this interview, if anything it's even more confusing because the power figure he's quoting is less than what they're using to compete with said 4.4L turbo car right now. Aside from the fact that, the said 4.4L turbo V8 car is a midsized sedan and the ATS is presumably a compact.

None of that link makes sense to me.
    I'm not sure how to respond. Here's the quote again:

"In his Detroit News interview, GM CEO Dan Akerson revealed a minor mystery, which I present for your consideration and discussion:
    In a recent meeting with engineers, for example, Akerson pressed them to explain the logic behind putting a big 6.2-liter engine in an unspecified car whose competitor has a 4.4-liter turbochargedengine. The engineers replied: “Well, we want to be able to beat the other guy.”
    Akerson responded: “I don’t think the average buyer is going to buy an eight-cylinder, 530-horsepower (car).” His point: Decisions must be supported by a solid business case, and not just for bragging rights or as a marketing tool."

Akerson reiterates the use of a 6.2L motor while actually speaking the phrase, "530 horsepower" and seems to be referring to what the engineers are wanting to put in the ATS-V, though he doesn't actually say that that's what they're planning on doing. I mean 470 is a dream come true, while 530 hp would virtually pulverize most Euro metal. I'd have to believe that BMW is watching this closely and trying to make predictions.

On a side note, you can really tell Akerson isn't a true car guy by that last statement: "Decisions must be supported by a solid business case, and not just for bragging rights or as a marketing tool." I say, bragging rights are a big part of why guys buy these kinds of cars right along with the fun factor of driving them. Akerson is dead wrong with his statement.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Those of you with a more discerning ear, what motor is powering this ATS?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i35xF...ature=youtu.be

Here's a similar vid. Listen to the exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2akc...layer_embedded#!

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    I'm not sure how to respond. Here's the quote again:

"In his Detroit News interview, GM CEO Dan Akerson revealed a minor mystery, which I present for your consideration and discussion:
    In a recent meeting with engineers, for example, Akerson pressed them to explain the logic behind putting a big 6.2-liter engine in an unspecified car whose competitor has a 4.4-liter turbochargedengine.

The engineers replied: “Well, we want to be able to beat the other guy.”
    Akerson responded: “I don’t think the average buyer is going to buy an eight-cylinder, 530-horsepower (car).” His point: Decisions must be supported by a solid business case, and not just for bragging rights or as a marketing tool."

Akerson reiterates the use of a 6.2L motor while actually speaking the phrase, "530 horsepower" and seems to be referring to what the engineers are wanting to put in the ATS-V, though he doesn't actually say that that's what they're planning on doing. I mean 470 is a dream come true, while 530 hp would virtually pulverize most Euro metal. I'd have to believe that BMW is watching this closely and trying to make predictions.

On a side note, you can really tell Akerson isn't a true car guy by that last statement: "Decisions must be supported by a solid business case, and not just for bragging rights or as a marketing tool." I say, bragging rights are a big part of why guys buy these kinds of cars right along with the fun factor of driving them. Akerson is dead wrong with his statement.
    the 'competitor whose engine has a 4.4L turbo' is the F10 M5 with the S63tu 4.4L Twin turbocharged V8.. ergo the 6.2 they're referring to in the unspecificed car is the CTS-V, which doesn't make sense because the 6.2L LSA makes 556. It would not make sense for the ATS-V to be in competition with the F10 M5 because the ATS is a compact-- ergo it's competition is the M3/ C63 AMG, neither of which are future speced for a 4.4L turbo. The M3 is getting a turbo I6/V6 and the C63 is probally getting a smaller twin turbo 5.5L V8.

see above, I don't see where they're talking about the ATS here except in the phrase unspecified car and other unreleased product talk, the context of the first paragraph does not indicate that they're referring to the ATS, it seems more that they're referring to the CTS.

Additionally, the competition package C63 is making 480hp right now.. it's going to take at least that much to keep up with the next generation C63 and M3 imo.

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

the 'competitor whose engine has a 4.4L turbo' is the F10 M5 with the S63tu 4.4L Twin turbocharged V8.. ergo the 6.2 they're referring to in the unspecificed car is the CTS-V, which doesn't make sense because the 6.2L LSA makes 556. It would not make sense for the ATS-V to be in competition with the F10 M5 because the ATS is a compact-- ergo it's competition is the M3/ C63 AMG, neither of which are future speced for a 4.4L turbo. The M3 is getting a turbo I6/V6 and the C63 is probally getting a smaller twin turbo 5.5L V8.

see above, I don't see where they're talking about the ATS here except in the phrase unspecified car and other unreleased product talk, the context of the first paragraph does not indicate that they're referring to the ATS, it seems more that they're referring to the CTS.

Additionally, the competition package C63 is making 480hp right now.. it's going to take at least that much to keep up with the next generation C63 and M3 imo.
    Don't be suprised if the new generation of cars (not including the upcoming M3) have zero to minimal HP gains from the Europeans. I think anything over 500 HP in the small luxury class is wishful (and unrealistic) thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    Don't be suprised if the new generation of cars (not including the upcoming M3) have zero to minimal HP gains from the Europeans. I think anything over 500 HP in the small luxury class is wishful (and unrealistic) thinking.
    The S63tu and new TT5.5L certinally haven't totally thrown caution to the wind with regard to HP increases, but they both still offer massive improvements over their predecessors. I expect something close to 500HP, and a lot of power-brand/torque improvements. The S63tu offers 500 FT/lbs of torque at 1500rpms , while the S85 yielded just 380FT/lbs, and that was at a sky-high 6100rpm's just as an example..

You know, it's entirely possible he was referring to the current M3 with 4.0L V8. Being he is not a "car guy" he could be confused between the current 4.0 L and the 4.4L.

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The S63tu and new TT5.5L certinally haven't totally thrown caution to the wind with regard to HP increases, but they both still offer massive improvements over their predecessors. I expect something close to 500HP, and a lot of power-brand/torque improvements. The S63tu offers 500 FT/lbs of torque at 1500rpms , while the S85 yielded just 380FT/lbs, and that was at a sky-high 6100rpm's just as an example..
    What I'm saying is don't expect that on the next round of engines. I feel that other things will be more important.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    You know, it's entirely possible he was referring to the current M3 with 4.0L V8. Being he is not a "car guy" he could be confused between the current 4.0 L and the 4.4L.
    if you want to play that game though, he could be mis-speaking about anything in that quote :P

imo, if this were the case, he missed the displacement *and* aspiration. 2-point foul.

he could be mis-speaking about anything in that quote :P
    lulz, he has been accused of mis-speaking everything about that quote

Well, SOMEHOW he spilled his guts on the ATS-V's motor. Maybe all this "mis-speaking" stuff is a smoke screen.

As for me, I'd like to believe that we're talking a 6.2L, 470 hp, 3,700 lbs car at a minimum.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna look for some couch change to put in my piggy bank after I log off in few minutes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.