Cadillac ATS-V - Twin Turbo V6 - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS-V - Twin Turbo V6 in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by thebigjimsho You bitch too much. You deal with absolutes and worst case scenarios of right now and ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Cadillac ATS-V - Twin Turbo V6

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    You bitch too much. You deal with absolutes and worst case scenarios of right now and apply them to unknown future tech. Let it go. You said you're not getting one so who cares?
    How am I bitching? I am being realistic. They are already talking about a CAFE of 50 mpg. You think they are going to get there with big V8 engines? They can offset of the lower economy of limited production cars like the V-series, or they can figure out how to make the V-series more fuel efficient and try to sell more of them. Which way do you think they are going to go?

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    How am I bitching? I am being realistic. They are already talking about a CAFE of 50 mpg. You think they are going to get there with big V8 engines? They can offset of the lower economy of limited production cars like the V-series, or they can figure out how to make the V-series more fuel efficient and try to sell more of them. Which way do you think they are going to go?
    As long as they're mass-producing stuff like the 90MPG Volt and various hybrids, who knows. A CTS or ATS V doesn't have to be some 30mpg wonder, it just has to manage 23-25 or so. DoD near 400HP V8's already do that on plain Fuel Injection.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Well you know I'm all about options so I would love to see both.

I still think they should offer both. They probably won't, but they should. There are the older guys like us who want a V8, and there are the younger guys who would prefer a turbo6.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    As long as they're mass-producing stuff like the 90MPG Volt and various hybrids, who knows. A CTS or ATS V doesn't have to be some 30mpg wonder, it just has to manage 23-25 or so. DoD near 400HP V8's already do that on plain Fuel Injection.
    For sure. I am averaging 24-25 right now in my Camaro SS.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    ... So now you have a few questions:

1. Is 400 HP enough for an ATS-V? (probably not)
    2. Can you go V8 when your competition is going V6 Turbo? (I think so) ...

Based on these things, I'm willing to say it's 60% probable they will stick with the V8. 40% probable they will change to the V6 TT. The V's are rumored to be 2016's, with the next gen CTS V6 TT being a mid-2014 model, so by then I think GM will have a clearer understanding of what's going on in the market and enthusiasts will have a better understanding of both engines when you compare a C7 Corvette to a 3rd Gen CTS TT to each other.
    1. Depending on the car's weight (primarily), 400 hp might be just adequate, IMHO.

2. If the competition is all V6TT, I agree a cam-in-block V8 can successfully compete.

That Gen V 6.2 at 475 hp would be outstanding in a 3,600 lb car. Also, 2016 for the ATS-V would be about right for me personally. That's about four years from now which would be 10-1/2 years in my V1 and about 80-85k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    It sounds like there are so many good possibilities right now ...
    Agreed. It's all good.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

I am just wondering what the Gen V is really going to be. Rumors are all over the place right now.

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I am just wondering what the Gen V is really going to be. Rumors are all over the place right now.
    Sure they are but if you discount the smaller displacement theories (which are by and by based on MotorTrends insistence that the GenV is based on the 5.5L race engine) then you really only have one set of rumors.

BTW, MotorTrend is wrong about the 5.5L being the GenV. How do I know, lets just say I know.

And isn't that 5.5L based on the LS7?

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

1. Depending on the car's weight (primarily), 400 hp might be just adequate, IMHO.
    You can bet money this will be between 3800-4000lbs.

And isn't that 5.5L based on the LS7?
    You are correct sir.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    You can bet money this will be between 3800-4000lbs.
    Oink.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Oink.
    Isn't everything oinky these days?
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

Yes. When a Corvette is considered "lightweight" at 3200 lbs. Everything is fat.

I suspect the ones that are indeed lightweight either lack sufficient stiffness or suffer from high cabin noise. Certainly design is factor, too, but don't these guys take apart each other's vehicles to learn how the other guy does it and thereby finds out the tricks to optimize both stiffness and weight? Use of lighter-weight materials is another aspect, but then that shows up on the sticker.

I certainly am.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.