Cadillac ATS-V - Twin Turbo V6 - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac ATS-V Series Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS-V - Twin Turbo V6 in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by JimmyH You have to believe they designed the space under the hood for it. The compactness probably ...
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: Cadillac ATS-V - Twin Turbo V6

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    You have to believe they designed the space under the hood for it. The compactness probably comes from the firewall back. Look at the Camaro. It's a big car. But the interior is smaller than a 3-series.
    I'm talking about horizontal space. The V has a raised hood because it needs it for the supercharger. Presumably this thing is N/A and thus does not need the big hood. it's just a matter if they can wedge it into side rails that are smaller than the CTS's rails-- which are already a tight fit.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I would suspect the ATS will be at least as wide as a first gen CTS. It looks like it has a pretty decent stance. If the ATS-V gets an LS3, or whatever the next equivalent is, I would think there would be plenty of room. You wouldn't think there would be an FI V8 in the ATS-V. NA V8 or FI V6. Whatever happens, I hope they don't make it too expensive. I would really like to get back in a V in a few years.

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

LS V8's are smaller than DOHC V6's in width & height. If taking the longest dimensions. So if you can fit an "LFX" V6 then you can fit an LS3. The Twin Turbo would be the widest engine.

The small block is a compact engine, dense in stature, but overall dimensions are favorable. They fit in cars that housed straight 6's with minimal effort.

I'd expect a high price. ATS has to start at $35k due to Buck Regal pricing. The V would be in the mid-50's at least I think.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    ... The V would be in the mid-50's at least I think.
    Keeps the riffraff out.

As much as I like the LS3, it's inevitable that we're going to see the four-valve, overhead cam, smaller displacement motors replacing the cam-in-the-block motors in the future. Maybe the time hasn't quite come ... I don't know, but it's going to happen. With enough grunt, I'd welcome a V6TT ... as long as a manual trans was offered with it.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Mallett 427 CTS-V, 10 E63 AMG

Lets not even consider acceptance of V6TT.
    Less power plus laggy response is a big step backwards.
    I'm really hoping for a DI LS engine to allow easy modding to 600HP NA.
    The smallest & lightest Cadillac needs to be able to deliver the best performance in the lineup.
    Let the bigger heavier Cadillacs pursue softer-gentler performance goals and target audience.

You must not be paying attention to the V2 forum.

You must not be paying attention to the V2 forum.
    Must not, I did not know the V2 was light, DI & NA.
    Is the ATS-V not supposed to be cool?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

What I meant is the the V2 is not "the bigger heavier Cadillac pursuing softer-gentler performance goals and target audience."

I don't quite get it, but there are plenty of V2 pushing 700 whp. A DI NA LS V8 is not gonna get there.

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

I love my LS3 as much as the next guy, but we have to be realistic. The world is changing. Those who don't change with it will be left behind.
    I don't see how a TT V6 vs a DI V8 has anything to do with the world changing. But if GM goes V6 on the ATS-V, what will definitely change is my interest in it. I'd love to see a 450+ V8 in a car smaller than the current CTS-V. Sort of a V1, but without all the dopey ergonomic and driveline quirks.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarx View Post
    Lets not even consider acceptance of V6TT.
    Less power plus laggy response is a big step backwards.
    I'm really hoping for a DI LS engine to allow easy modding to 600HP NA.
    The smallest & lightest Cadillac needs to be able to deliver the best performance in the lineup.
    Let the bigger heavier Cadillacs pursue softer-gentler performance goals and target audience.
    performance is relative. Mercedes Audi and BMW all have small, fast track cars and then they have hugely powerful touring mid-sized cars that would murder said compacts In everything sans a race track. I'm with jimmy as well in that I'm not seeing 600na hp from a genv if we're only talking about adding d/I without extensive modification.

What I meant is the the V2 is not "the bigger heavier Cadillac pursuing softer-gentler performance goals and target audience."

I don't quite get it, but there are plenty of V2 pushing 700 whp. A DI NA LS V8 is not gonna get there.
    The V2 is too heavy and I thought the 3rd Gen CTS was supposed to get even bigger.
    V2 gets its power boost from a SC, which has its drawbacks.
    DI would be a more efficient method of boosting power, that would work well in a lighter car.

GM was guaging interest with a 470 HP DI NA LS and you guys dont want it????????

Imagine the modding potential of an ATS-V with that engine?

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

The Germans put out an I6TT and with a boost tweak, the darn things scream.

Why couldn't the same thing be done on an all aluminum V6TT (DI, of course)? ... something rated at 380-420 hp out of the factory going up to nearly 500 with mostly just a boost increase (plus a PCM tweak)?

You'd have to give up the V8 exhaust note ... that'd be the down side.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by lunarx View Post
    The V2 is too heavy and I thought the 3rd Gen CTS was supposed to get even bigger.
    V2 gets its power boost from a SC, which has its drawbacks.
    DI would be a more efficient method of boosting power, that would work well in a lighter car.

GM was guaging interest with a 470 HP DI NA LS and you guys dont want it????????

Imagine the modding potential of an ATS-V with that engine?

You're preaching to the choir here. I am all about na v8s. I have a camaro ss right now.

I think we are just predicting it's more likely to be a turbo6. The ctsv already targets the m5 so it's only natural the atsv will target the m3. The next m3 will be a turbo6 (I think someone said this pretty much a lock). And an ls3 powered atsv would be like a repeat of the first gen ctsv.

I would like to say I want a v8 atsv. But realistically I don't see myself buying another Cadillac. They are getting too expensive for me. My only option is to hope Cadillac resale stays poor and buy a 2 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    The Germans put out an I6TT and with a boost tweak, the darn things scream.

Why couldn't the same thing be done on an all aluminum V6TT (DI, of course)? ... something rated at 380-420 hp out of the factory going up to nearly 500 with mostly just a boost increase (plus a PCM tweakl)?

You'd have to give up the V8 exhause note ... that'd be the down side.
    a V8 would be nice, I just don't see a TT V6 as a disadvantage. people are still doubling or tripling the HP in B5 S4's with basicly a 20 year old 30V V6 design. It wouldn't shock me if that(500+) would be possible in a 3+L TT ATS-V with a tune and exhaust

There is a local guy here with 2010 camaro v6. He is working with ips in Indiana and is already over 400 rwhp with his twin turbo setup. The goal is 450+ and he says they are almost there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.