Cadillac Owners Forum banner

DIY Down Pipe Install

5K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  oemtech 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well look what showed up via the Brown Truck today from TRS Fab. Trent does some beautiful work, the man can stack some dimes.

Note - The extra O2 bung for a Wideband sensor.

I will update this thread as I do the install. I have some more parts to scout up and need to decide if I will install it before the Texas Mile that is coming up Oct 24-26.

10/2/2014 Update
Here are a couple items that will be needed.

Unless you plan to do the wideband sensor with the install you will need a plug. You can get an O2 sensor plug online for ? to $9. But, all you need is 18x1.5mm drain plug. I got one at Reilly's Autoparts for $2 and change.

Note - Get yourself a spark plug thread chaser and run it though the O2 bungs before you install anything to get rid of any burrs. The thread chaser is not for CUTTING threads. If you have to add much force, stop and get a 18x1.5mm tap.

Also, add a dab of never seize to the threads of the O2 sensors and/or plug as it will make things a lot easier to remove. This also goes for the bolts that hold the down pipe to the exhaust.

Next you probably will need a custom tune to get rid of the CEL errors for the rear O2 sensor due to the cat delete. I am going to try a Big Daddies Mini Cat to see if I can trick the PCM. I have them on my Challenger with high flow cats and they work great.

Note - The Mini Cats are for "Off Road Use or Competition Use Only"

Added 2014-10-21:

More Parts... Getting closer to install time.

I ordered gaskets and O2 sensors. Now i can swap the down pipe out on the off chance the Mini cat fix does not work.

NOTE- The O2 sensors are not inter-changeable.

See less See more
#6 ·
wow.. i replied to this thread and poof.. it just never showed up.. disappeared like a fart in the wind...

----------

anywhooo...

Take tons of pics please.. i want to do the same.. would be great to know all the "gotchas" and "Shoulda-dones" ahead of time..

Good luck

#14 ·
Oemtech, I keep coming back to this thread and admiring that downpipe, what a nice piece of work. I want to order one so bad, but now with all these posts popping up about engine failures, I'm hesitant as I don't want the dealer to try and weasel out of a repair by blaming it on the catless dp. Your intake install looked good, keep us updated on the dp and let us know if the mini cat prevents the cel from triggering. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.