Idle Relearn Issue
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tahawk69
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Idle Relearn Issue in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I have a 2013 ATS 2.0 T Standard. I started to have some issues with Turbo lag. When turning around ...
    terrific is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 T Standard

Idle Relearn Issue

I have a 2013 ATS 2.0 T Standard. I started to have some issues with Turbo lag. When turning around a corner and getting on the gas for the straight, the car would bog and react slowly, all of a sudden the turbo would kick in and the car would jerk. To others I'm sure this makes me look like a crazy person. After a while the only solution was to drive SLOW around and after the turn, maybe 4-5 seconds later I could get back on the gas without fear of the turbo jerking the car. I took it in and the performed an "idle relearn". It made my car completely different...in a good way. It was more responsive and the shift points were smoother and less jerky than they were before. This is in Auto, manual or sport modes. It had very good pick up before but responded quite a bit quicker now. That lasted for about 3 weeks, then back to the way it was. Does anyone know how to do an idle relearn? Is there something wrong with my car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tcnole is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Re: Idle Relearn Issue

I have this issue as well. Also with a 2013 2.0t. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does it is exactly how you describe it. It's very annoying and potentially dangerous. You make a turn thinking you'll have full power available, then the power just drops out.

tahawk69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0t awd premium

I had similar issues until I had the new ecm flash from gm. Idle relearn and the latest ecm calibration are different. Ask for the latest ecm update from your dealer.
    terrific likes this.

tahawk69, Thanks i'm going to schedule an appointment and have them try this. It's maddening.

Bster82 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium

Does this work for the 3.6L engine as well? I have a 2013 ATS Premium and it idles rough too and is experiencing the same issues as your described.
    I was wondering if I did an Idle Relearn and GM's lastest emc flash update, would that fix the issues.

I know there is a new ecm flash for the 2.5 and 2.0t but not sure about the 3.6. I would tell your dealer about the rough idle and inquire about any new ecm updates.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi terrific, Bster82, and tcnole,

I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this lag issue with your ATS. If any of you are planning on consulting a dealership (for a second time in your case, terrific) I would be happy to provide an additional layer of assistance. Please PM me your VIN, mileage, preferred dealership, and contact information if you are interested.

Have a great weekend,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Austin,

It was a total waste of time. I took the car in. Detailed the issue as described here, specifically mentioned the ECM update resolving the issue for others and let them know that it's intermittent. Just got the car back today and it states they drove it and performed a test and did no work because they could not reproduce the problem. The service advisor didn't even write anything to the tech about the ECM update. I'm going to try the original dealership where I purchased the car. This one is 30 miles away so I hope it's worth the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hi terrific, Bster82, and tcnole,

I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this lag issue with your ATS. If any of you are planning on consulting a dealership (for a second time in your case, terrific) I would be happy to provide an additional layer of assistance. Please PM me your VIN, mileage, preferred dealership, and contact information if you are interested.

Have a great weekend,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Take it to another dealer there is a tsb for it. I can't understand why these dealerships do not take care of customers. The lack of customer service leaves a bad taste toward gm products. If you get another dealer to address and correct the issue I would call the service manager and let him/her know your experience then blast them on a survey if they send you one. I have quite buying certain brands that I really liked due to terrible customer service after the sale. Good luck

I'm going to try the dealer I bought it from. It's 30 miles away so a last resort. Is there a number for the TSB you mention?

I don't recall the tsb number, but you can google cadillac ats tsb and you will find a list of them. One specially mentions intermittent rough idle felt in the seat and the action is to update ecm.

bluhaven is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 luxury ATS 2.0 Turbo 6sp auto

I have had the same issue since new and the service manager told me if it doesn't throw a code theres nothing he can do. I was just telling my wife the other day when our lease is up I would like to turn it in, I love the looks and feel of the car but i just can't stand the way it bogs, hesitates, i've even had it backfire when going around a corner and getting into the throttle and the dealer isn't at all interested. The one time i took it in for this issue they said they test drove it and found nothing wrong, except there was no miles put on the car. Disgusted and frustrated.

Kevin

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by terrific View Post
    Austin,

It was a total waste of time. I took the car in. Detailed the issue as described here, specifically mentioned the ECM update resolving the issue for others and let them know that it's intermittent. Just got the car back today and it states they drove it and performed a test and did no work because they could not reproduce the problem. The service advisor didn't even write anything to the tech about the ECM update. I'm going to try the original dealership where I purchased the car. This one is 30 miles away so I hope it's worth the drive.
    Hi terrific,

I am really sorry to hear that the first dealership visit did not meet your expectations. I can understand your frustration in this situation and, if you would like to PM me, I’d be happy to reach out to your original dealership or discuss this issue with your further.

Enjoy your evening,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.