E85 idle issue
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, E85 idle issue in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; When I put E85 in my 3.6 it will not idle. It surges a couple times and quits. Only in ...
    n2o-3.6-ATS is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

E85 idle issue

When I put E85 in my 3.6 it will not idle. It surges a couple times and quits. Only in park and neutral. In gear it runs perfect. And on regular gas it runs perfect. I have no idea what the problem is. Has anyone else had this issue? And yes it's a flex fuel car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RxNotec is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6
    For all if you have a black gas cap it is not flex fuel. I have a 2013 3.6 non flex fuel (black gas cap).

With regards to idle I believe I read somewhere there is a flash update for the flex fuel ecus on the 3.6 to fix this. Run to the dealer or do some web searching.

----------

Flex fuels have yellow gas cap. Sorry I forgot to add that.

I'll add that to my list for the dealer lol. Thanks

duneless is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2013 ATS4 (BD 8/12)

Re: E85 idle issue

I didn't know there was a 3.6 not flex fuel. Learn something new everyday here.
    Quote Originally Posted by RxNotec View Post
    For all if you have a black gas cap it is not flex fuel. I have a 2013 3.6 non flex fuel (black gas cap).

With regards to idle I believe I read somewhere there is a flash update for the flex fuel ecus on the 3.6 to fix this. Run to the dealer or do some web searching.

----------

Flex fuels have yellow gas cap. Sorry I forgot to add that.

rsingl is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD

My 2014 3.6 is not flex fuel, not a big deal to me since I avoid ethanol whenever possible anyway.

jeiler9865 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac technician

Are you mixing E10 with E85 or runnning straight E85 from an empty tank? I only use E85 in my 6.2 and 5.3 V8 engines, and they run great compared to the poor quality E10 we have in california. We also only keep to Propel Fuel for the E85 both for better pricing and online fuel tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by jeiler9865
    Are you mixing E10 with E85 or runnning straight E85 from an empty tank? I only use E85 in my 6.2 and 5.3 V8 engines, and they run great compared to the poor quality E10 we have in california. We also only keep to Propel Fuel for the E85 both for better pricing and online fuel tracking.
    I run straight E85. I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealer to fix that issue, slow cue, ac not dripping, and clear peeling off 3 wheels

jeiler9865 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac technician

I would have them test the fuel first with the fuel tester measured in HZ FIRST!!! They may just say normal operation because, they dont know how, or are to lazy to test it.
    Have them check on PI1126C for the Cue, I dont know about how old you car is or what software version it is running, just have them follow this First. Sorry cant help with the wheels! Dont fall for the dirty this or that in the injectors, E85 needs nothing and runs EXTREMELY clean. WE just pulled apart my 2010 GMC yukon denali with 68K miles on it, I was amazed at how clean it keeps the engine. Sold on it since.

Quote Originally Posted by jeiler9865
    I would have them test the fuel first with the fuel tester measured in HZ FIRST!!! They may just say normal operation because, they dont know how, or are to lazy to test it. Have them check on PI1126C for the Cue, I dont know about how old you car is or what software version it is running, just have them follow this First. Sorry cant help with the wheels! Dont fall for the dirty this or that in the injectors, E85 needs nothing and runs EXTREMELY clean. WE just pulled apart my 2010 GMC yukon denali with 68K miles on it, I was amazed at how clean it keeps the engine. Sold on it since.
    Thanks. I've noticed just on the exhaust tips how clean they are. They don't get covered in black soot. We'll see what they say tomorrow

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by tmenees2 View Post
    When I put E85 in my 3.6 it will not idle. It surges a couple times and quits. Only in park and neutral. In gear it runs perfect. And on regular gas it runs perfect. I have no idea what the problem is. Has anyone else had this issue? And yes it's a flex fuel car.
    Hi tmenees,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issue with your ATS. I understand that you had an appointment with your dealership yesterday and wanted to check what progress was made with your concerns. Please let us know how the process is going or feel free to PM me if you would like some additional assistance.

Have a great night,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc
    Hi tmenees, I apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issue with your ATS. I understand that you had an appointment with your dealership yesterday and wanted to check what progress was made with your concerns. Please let us know how the process is going or feel free to PM me if you would like some additional assistance. Have a great night, Austin J. Cadillac Customer Care
    It seems as though the ECM update fixed it. It idles great now. Hasn't stalled yet. Ac drain they said was ok. It's dripping on the exhaust and evaporating before it hits the ground. So for now everything looks ok.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi tmenees2,

We are pleased to hear that! I'll be sure to let Austin know. Keep us updated if anything should change.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A. (Assisting Austin)
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.