Wiper broke my window!
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Wiper broke my window! in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I was replacing the wiper blades on my ATS for the first time. I had just removed the old blade ...
    Atstew01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium RWD

Wiper broke my window!

I was replacing the wiper blades on my ATS for the first time. I had just removed the old blade on the passenger side and as I was setting it against the windshield when it slipped out of my hand about 1-2" off the glass and caused the glass to crack and spider web a foot or more up the glass! Has anyone else had this happen? I think its a quality issue with the glass since it was not a lot of force. The dealer and my salesman both say that it will not be covered under my bumper to bumper warranty. Insurance in this state does not cover it either without paying all of my deductible.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I couldn't imagine what would of happen if a rock had hit it while I was driving!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Re: Wiper broke my window!

I don't think its a quality issue.....Just unfortunate, it does not take much if its hit in the right spot with the right pressure.

sqkid89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD

Used to be a *serious* problem with the Saturn S-series; such a problem that Advance Auto has a warning in their system for employees

2manyhotrods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.

Not a quality problem, sorry to point a finger but it's YOU.
    Those arms are under tremendous pressure.
    I broke a Toyota windshield and a pal broke his Maxima's windshield in the identical fashion.
    Pretty easy to do if you don't block that arm with a rag or a soft piece of wood.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

I've never seen that before. Guess I'll need to be more careful when I change blades.

2manyhotrods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.

It's happened to many of us, don't feel bad.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

If your deductible for that is high, shop for repairs NOT submitted to insurance. Insurance processing adds a LOT to the cost plus it even adds extra "dealer" markup because people don't care if insurance is paying and insurance doesn't care because they can set their premiums to cover it. That's why they don't care if the glass place gives away steaks or trips to Hawaii with every repair. I know someone who started to walk out of a glass place saying he couldn't afford their quote. They asked him "doesn't insurance cover it?". He told them "no, I don't have insurance" and they said "oh, its only half as much then".

But your deductible may be far from the replacement cost because these are pretty expensive windshields with the sound deadening layer and HUD areas, etc..

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Same thing just happened to me as i was replacing the blades on my Z4. Got the blade assemply off and the arm slipped out of my hand andcracked the windshield. But lucky me, here in FL no deductible and was able to get a BMW windshield at no extra charge. Used Safelite as recommended by Allstate. BTW, and out of interest, BMW wanted around $1600, whereas Safelite charged Allstate $700. A non-BMW windshield would have been around $460. Good luck.

Atstew01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium RWD

I spent the day yesterday getting quotes - not submitted to insurance - and a replacement windshield ranged from $750 to $1050. Nobody has them in stock, therefore it will have to be ordered and it will be multiple days until it is delivered. The cracks grew yesterday from the heat of the sun and they will probably grow again today. I'll have to decide if it is worth making a claim and what that will do to my rates if anything... This will be my most expensive wiper blade replacement ever, and the sad part is I didn't buy the wipers I normally do because the ones I got were $5 off.

A few things I have learned from this:
    -The wind shield is not covered under warranty for this repair.
    -Don't replace wiper blades at the end of a sunny day - the heat puts a lot of stress on the wind shield and will make it more susceptible to this failure.
    -Lay a piece of cloth down or some other object to dampen any impacts that may happen.
    -When you get angry at this happening, don't throw the wiper blade, it may bounce back and hit the car (this almost happened).

If anyone is wondering, I went with Rain-X blades and they do not look as clean as the Bosch Icon blades I normally get. I'll update in several months to comment on performance and if that $5 was worth it.
    GJB likes this.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Going forward, I suspect that while zero deductible for glass is NOT mandated in a state, it probably doesn't mean its not available.

rsingl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD

It may sound odd but some policies are written where the deductible will be waived IF you first take it to one of the chip/crack repair places. Of course they will say it cannot be fixed but your company may then cover the replacement without the high deductible. A colleague had this experience 8 years ago, his insurance agent son clued him in on that insurance company quirk. Insurance policies often have rather odd language, with some if you hit a deer the deductible is waived but if you swerve to avoid the deer and hit a fence or tree instead you get to pay the deductible. If you have a good relationship with your agent have a chat with him, this is one of the cases where face-to-face is better than online because your agent will see this as an opportunity to try and sell you additional coverages/policies and is motivated to be helpful.

mels1229 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS
    It is very common. I bought new blades for my mom's Sonata at the dealership, because on the spot installation is included in the price. I was talking to the guy, as he removed the old ones and installed the new ones, about this exact same scenario.

My advice, even though wiper blade replacement is one of the easiest DIY vehicle maintenance jobs, is to leave the liability on the dealer and have them do it. If they slip, they pay for the windshield.

duneless is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): black raven 2013 ats4 3.6

Sucks but yes it has happened to me as well. Talk about throwing F- bombs that day.

DavidATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 3.6 RWD Premium

Quote Originally Posted by mels1229 View Post

My advice, even though wiper blade replacement is one of the easiest DIY vehicle maintenance jobs, is to leave the liability on the dealer and have them do it. If they slip, they pay for the windshield.
    Doesn't just putting a beach towel on the windshield (maybe folder in half) make the chances of this happening close to zero? I will not be paying dealer markup and hassle for a couple of minute job.

I am surprised at the windshield cracking and have been replacing windshield wipers my whole life, will get out a towel in the future.

sqkid89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD

Quote Originally Posted by mels1229 View Post
    Yeah, paying a dealer to install wipers? Really? We're not talking about swapping out a transmission. If you're really that worried about doing this job yourself, go to any Autozone/Advance Auto and they do it for free.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.