Cadillac Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablosport 2.0T ATS tune development

363K views 1K replies 159 participants last post by  feiyu809 
#1 ·
I have been chomping at the bit to start this thread, so here goes.

My ATS is strapped to the dyno as I type this :)
Baseline pulls will ensue shortly, then we'll start tearing into this calibration and see what kind of safe, repeatable gains we can offer to the masses.

I'll keep you guys updated as progress is made :devil:

#320 ·
Ordered a Trinity today, feedback from the beta testing on here sounds very promising! Now to wait patiently for the 91 tune to come out with the official release. Hope that will be before the next trip to the drag strip with my co-workers, they are going to be very surprised. ;) Anyone got 1/4 mile runs on the new tune yet?

#321 ·
Mike - I was looking through the PIDs and don't see anything relating to boost except supercharger stuff, which doesn't appear to actually be a parameter, am I missing one or can we not see boost pressure or anything through the ECM? Also, can I edit the shift RPM by tuning the TCM tune? Is there a way to make it harder?
ATScape said:
Anyone have any updates/logs on how the tune is performing? If all the logs are good I'll go ahead and get it today. Thanks
I threw the beta tune and hard TCM tune on last night and have a couple logs, but haven't really had a chance to play too much. The tuner is easy to use and my flash went well without any issues. The power increase is noticeable, but I didn't think it was mind blowing. I don't get any indication of wheel spin on the dash, but you can feel and hear that you lose some traction at WOT in 1st and 2nd. You can hear the bypass valve a bit more when you're WOT and let off the gas, but you've got to be listening for it with the window cracked. I've got some KR (around 3 degrees max) under WOT but I'm attributing it to having a tank of 89 octane (tank was really low and gas station was out of premium), being hot and humid in the Florida panhandle may also be contributing? I don't find the hard TCM tune to be hard at all. Stock, my car shifts significantly harder when it's searching for gears trying to maintain 15mph than it does at WOT on the TCM tune. Shift RPMs with the tune are around 6800 at WOT and by maybe 6000 my car feels like it's fallen flat on its face, but I'm hopeful that I can adjust that. I've noticed that the logs take a while to save/write once they're recorded, but the Intune will continue to write even with the car off, so I've been finishing logging, turning the car off, then coming back about 15 minutes later to find it's completed saving the log. It took a little searching on Google to find the DS Data Viewer for the log files, I still haven't found a link on the site, but once I got it installed, the viewer was pretty self explanatory. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have if I can, and I'll try to keep you all posted...

#322 ·
Mike - I was looking through the PIDs and don't see anything relating to boost except supercharger stuff, which doesn't appear to actually be a parameter, am I missing one or can we not see boost pressure or anything through the ECM? Also, can I edit the shift RPM by tuning the TCM tune? Is there a way to make it harder? I threw the beta tune and hard TCM tune on last night and have a couple logs, but haven't really had a chance to play too much. The tuner is easy to use and my flash went well without any issues. The power increase is noticeable, but I didn't think it was mind blowing. I don't get any indication of wheel spin on the dash, but you can feel and hear that you lose some traction at WOT in 1st and 2nd. You can hear the bypass valve a bit more when you're WOT and let off the gas, but you've got to be listening for it with the window cracked. I've got some KR (around 3 degrees max) under WOT but I'm attributing it to having a tank of 89 octane (tank was really low and gas station was out of premium), being hot and humid in the Florida panhandle may also be contributing? I don't find the hard TCM tune to be hard at all. Stock, my car shifts significantly harder when it's searching for gears trying to maintain 15mph than it does at WOT on the TCM tune. Shift RPMs with the tune are around 6800 at WOT and by maybe 6000 my car feels like it's fallen flat on its face, but I'm hopeful that I can adjust that. I've noticed that the logs take a while to save/write once they're recorded, but the Intune will continue to write even with the car off, so I've been finishing logging, turning the car off, then coming back about 15 minutes later to find it's completed saving the log. It took a little searching on Google to find the DS Data Viewer for the log files, I still haven't found a link on the site, but once I got it installed, the viewer was pretty self explanatory. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have if I can, and I'll try to keep you all posted...
Thanks for reporting. That would be great if any member who has received the tune posts a mini report and review. I was hoping more from this tune, however, this tune is designed for 93 octane, and you were using 89. I am hoping that with use of better fuel you can get much better results. Please report again whenever you use93 octane fuel. Hopefully it will make a difference.

#326 ·
vseries said:
Ontogenesis I thought I was the only one who felt the low speed trans hunt clunk. I was hoping the tcm tune would help with this but it sounds like shift speeds are not changed from stock. Was this available to tweak manually anyone ?
I definitely have the low speed hunt, there's a 15mph zone by my son's daycare and I get jerked around every time. I haven't had to drive 15 since I flashed the tune, but I'll give it a shot and post back in the morning whether it's any better or not. Maybe I'm strange, I'd like to get rid of the low speed clunk, but I WISH i could get it to shift that hard at WOT...

#327 ·
I had a chance to tweak the tcm tune before work tonight and I'm happy to report that it's a night and day difference. I didn't realize you could modify the setting of the canned tune (totally my own fault). I adjusted shift RPM's down (6000) and increased shift firmness (10%) across the board. Much happier, the traction light is flashing enough to cause seizures. I'll try to give more info when I get off work, but didn't want anybody to be turned off by my initial issues.

Also, I tried cruising at 15mph for a little ways and it *seems* the low speed gear hunting is gone, everything felt pretty smooth...

#330 ·
Good to see you guys playing with it.

It has gotten to a point where we have found a bunch more stuff and some of that needs to be changed in the tunes. Some of the users have reported inconsistent power, and I have seen it as well. We see whats happening and are making additions to our software to resolve it as I type this. Nothing to be worried about at all, and when the power is there, it is there!
Should have a new round of updates to share next week.

Thanks

#336 ·
It will be sometime next week unfortunately.

----------

Ok, just a little something to keep people happy. Mike, I'll send logs when I get back. Thanks for your help so far.

Mustang dyno in case anyone is wondering why the numbers are where they are. I look forward to stopping back there when I get the tune dialed in a bit more.

Nothing I like better than seeing independent dyno results back up what we saw :)

Thanks for sharing that!!

It looks like there may have been some knock or other issue up top, but those gains are legit ;)

#335 ·
Ok, just a little something to keep people happy. Mike, I'll send logs when I get back. Thanks for your help so far.

Mustang dyno in case anyone is wondering why the numbers are where they are. I look forward to stopping back there when I get the tune dialed in a bit more.

#337 ·
This is very impressive! Around 30% improvement in TQ and 20% in HP, all in the usable RPM range. Two questions:

1- What happens at 5000 RPM and thereafter?!
2- I totally understand that dynos can have very different calibrations. The important thing is the improvement compared to the base line, which is the stock tune. That being said, why are these numbers, especially the stock numbers, so low? For example, Max HP for stock is 161!!!

#338 ·
These dyno results are probably not typical or an accurate representation as his car has an aftermarket intake and hi flow catted downpipe. The intake itself will not change much, but the hi flow catted downpipe in combination with intake will skew results and maybe why there are some "issues" at higher rpm

#339 ·
ahh, I forgot he had those mods. It is probably a little lean up top hence the drop off but that just means there is plenty of room for improvement with some custom tuning for the additional mods.

As for overall numbers, I know I beat it to death but they mean nothing. The gains are there, the percentage of power gained is awesome, and that's what counts :)

----------

More news...we lined up a manual ATS today! Will be here end of next week.

We also came across some very useful info on the PCM and calibration today that is going to help with the tunes and make cmr the most thorough tuning solution available for the 2.0T Caddys. Looks like it may delay the release a bit, but it will be well worth it.

I'll still gladly offer the beta stuff to anyone with a tool in hand :)

#340 ·
I'm really enjoying the discussion here and thanks to sqkid89, who went out and got his setup dynoed. Definitely agree with Mike that the gain and feel is great. Had to pass a slow poke on a two lane road today and the car just took off on demand vs before where the rpm would rocket, but the car didn't. Sqkid89 ' s setup will be nice once he gets everything dialed in with the cmr tuner. I also spent the afternoon watching shift points and ontogenesis is spot on that the shift points at wot have to be lowered as I think I tagged the lev limiter a few times. So it sometimes shifts a few hundred rpm later than supposed, maybe once mike gets everything wrapped up with the final release I will go in and adjust shift points as well. Good call ontogenesis.

#346 ·
Back from some much needed relaxation, hopefully I can add a bit more to the conversation. I wanted to do a completely independent dyno pull so people would know there were numbers coming from someone unbiased. We did see a touch of KR up high, so we think that may be the cause. I haven't gotten a chance to pull the logs and see what was happening quite yet.

One thing we noted - the dyno normally needs a spark plug wire to get rpm. since its coil on plug, we made a little spacer wire between the plug and coil to do the trick. The car did not like that. we were getting misfires when the jumper was in place. Without more time, we couldn't be 100% sure, but we may need to adjust the gap down a bit with the mods and tune or the plug may not fire like it should. That's for later.

With the (light) mods I have, I think there's definitely some more power to be found with a tune that's a little more dialed it.

#357 ·
The loss of top end, almost back to stock HP, is probably not due to "a touch of high rpm knock" unless the tune left Knock airmass table untouched at the 2* mark. That plunge in HP looks like the dreaded throttle closing. They should be able to figure it out for you. I know the earlier chart posted by Mike had a solid top end on it.

FWIW, this car is hard to get consistent repeatable performance, at least compared to my experience with LS motors.

#347 ·
sqkid89 said:
Back from some much needed relaxation, hopefully I can add a bit more to the conversation. I wanted to do a completely independent dyno pull so people would know there were numbers coming from someone unbiased. We did see a touch of KR up high, so we think that may be the cause. I haven't gotten a chance to pull the logs and see what was happening quite yet. One thing we noted - the dyno normally needs a spark plug wire to get rpm. since its coil on plug, we made a little spacer wire between the plug and coil to do the trick. The car did not like that. we were getting misfires when the jumper was in place. Without more time, we couldn't be 100% sure, but we may need to adjust the gap down a bit with the mods and tune or the plug may not fire like it should. That's for later. With the (light) mods I have, I think there's definitely some more power to be found with a tune that's a little more dialed it.
I have the 3.6 but we put the clamp on the purple wire on the coil and it worked fine

#349 ·
sqkid89 said:
Back from some much needed relaxation, hopefully I can add a bit more to the conversation. I wanted to do a completely independent dyno pull so people would know there were numbers coming from someone unbiased. We did see a touch of KR up high, so we think that may be the cause. I haven't gotten a chance to pull the logs and see what was happening quite yet. One thing we noted - the dyno normally needs a spark plug wire to get rpm. since its coil on plug, we made a little spacer wire between the plug and coil to do the trick. The car did not like that. we were getting misfires when the jumper was in place. Without more time, we couldn't be 100% sure, but we may need to adjust the gap down a bit with the mods and tune or the plug may not fire like it should. That's for later. With the (light) mods I have, I think there's definitely some more power to be found with a tune that's a little more dialed it.
Sqkid89, I noticed the same kind of drop off on my logs, peak torque shot up and then got kicked down, the torque curve on the log is really similar to the torque curve on your dyno run. I'm gonna see if I can't do a screenshot of it and upload in a few minutes. I'm trying to get my computer to be more agreeable and open the .csv file in Excel.

ben.gators said:
Does anyone have 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?
I don't have either, I did a completely unscientific 0-60 recorded on my phone on a crappy road with lots of fresh cut grass blown on to it and bad traction that was roughly 7 seconds, but it definitely didn't feel like a 7 second 0-60...

#352 ·
Hey guys, just got my 2014 ATS this past Wednesday. I love it! My wife and I will be headed to Delray Beach Thursdayof this week, where I will pass off my 6spd manual 2.0T to Mike and the boys at Diablo and let them work their magic on the final piece of the puzzle for the RELEASE! I'm very excited about getting the car to Mike and looking forward to seeing the results and getting us owners an awesome factory tune. Will keep you guys updated near the end of the week.

I'm a newbie btw, very happy to be here, and VERY happy to be a Cadillac owner! looking forward to reading and posting more. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.