Cadillac Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablosport 2.0T ATS tune development

363K views 1K replies 159 participants last post by  feiyu809 
#1 ·
I have been chomping at the bit to start this thread, so here goes.

My ATS is strapped to the dyno as I type this :)
Baseline pulls will ensue shortly, then we'll start tearing into this calibration and see what kind of safe, repeatable gains we can offer to the masses.

I'll keep you guys updated as progress is made :devil:

#601 ·
I'm getting knock ie detonation. .. I know it. The Diablo tune on California 91 has surge meaning that the car is seeing detonation and trying to back timing off. I changed to the 91 tune which obviously has less timing and surge timing pull back not happening. I can tell however at wot at the shift it's detonation it's audible. I've personally built cars over 1000whp and know what detonation sounds like. I need a damn data logger for this car... I was hoping not to have to start tuning myself since I no longer tune cars....I was hoping to just get bolt on's and an email tune....

#609 ·
I'm getting knock ie detonation. .. I can tell however at wot at the shift it's detonation it's audible. I've personally built cars over 1000whp and know what detonation sounds like. I need a damn data logger for this car... I was hoping not to have to start tuning myself since I no longer tune cars....I was hoping to just get bolt on's and an email tune....
You know well that if you can hear the detonation on a boosted car, you'er within a second or two of grenading the motor. Maybe just a ring if you're lucky. You need to send diablo a log or uninstall the tune.

Any chance you got a bad tank of gas if the 91 tune is causing problems?

#605 ·
Hopefully I can do some logging today. With do combinations of tour on, sport on, then with ac off.

----------

Did 4 WOT runs, all were 1st to 2nd shift. I heard the noise on runs 1 & 2, but not 3 & 4. So now this opens up other possibilities. I sent the log to Mike, lets see what he comes up with next week.

1 - Tour, AC on
2 - Sport, AC on
3 - Tour, AC off
4 - Sport AC off

#606 ·
Firepower,
If you need require a more personalized tune or if you not happy with the canned tune so far why dont you just contact a cmr tuner send them your logs and you should be all set. Not questioning your ability as you say that you built 1000 whp vehicles, but with a cmr tuner it is that easy. Buy the bolt on's you want, install them then log parameters and send to cmr tuner. Then you can bitch at the tuner if your not happy with your personalized results. Overall, very easy process and I know alot of dodge guys that went that route with Diablosport and cmr tuners and we're very happy and all are daily drivers that can run in the high 11's.

----------

Louie, thanks for trying to eliminate the variables. Hopefully it will help out other members.

#608 ·
Just to clarify, Mike, I'm not trying to step on your toes, nor am I trying to be the know it all. I just have a sincere concern for this community and my own selfishness (my own personal car) to see this platform move forward. The work you have done is great and much appreciated by myself as well as numerous board members I'm sure. I am just trying to lend a hand (and ear) to what I am encountering, and what my experience is. I can only theorize what is happening, without datalogging, and diving in, but honestly, there is a reason I bought a plug and play vs HP Tuners, I simply don't have much time to play around anymore, I run my own business (non automotive related), that consumes massive amounts of my time, I left the auto world 4 years ago, and don't really wish to return as my current business is doing very well. Not here for a pissing match or to doubt your work, I simply want to share information with you and the community in hopes of furthering the development of this platform. BTW, I do not have experience tuning american factory ECU's, other than some mild playing with LS Edit on a C6 Z06 that we made 519 rwhp with intake and headers, my 1000rwhp experience stems from stand alone AEM EMS and old tech Halltech E series. I want to help, not hurt.

#616 ·
OK, one thing I want to be very clear about...
This is still in Beta.
It has NOT been officially released.
If you do not wish to deal with the Beta, please return the vehicle to stock and wait for the official release.

As mentioned, either tool will datalog, its an important feature and is necessary for remote/email tuning. Its really simple to use, if you can get a log of what you are hearing as knock while using the correct 91 tune with 91 fuel, send me the log and the tunes and we will take a look for sure.

Thanks!

----------

Check engine light just came on today after a few weeks on the beta tune. Will check the code and see what the issue is.

First week of running the tune, really did not notice any issues. But more recently, I'm also seeing some of the same things others are reporting. I'm a 6MT so obviously not seeing some of the shifting problems, but at WOT in certain scenarios, there's quite a bit of "hesitation". Don't know what's causing it, but definitely was never an issue before the tune.
see if you can get a log of it 'hesitating' and send it over with the tunes from the tunes folder on the intune drive please.

#623 ·
Quick question mike,
How much rwhp do these cars hold safely?
I've seen a couple engine failures on this car with no mods on them.
I was about to buy one from a cadillac dealer that at 11k had its engine replaced.

I would like to say this, i had a Diablo tune on my svt Lightning and it performed amazingly.

#624 ·
Well, that's a tough question to answer.

There are plenty of guys on here who have been tuned long before we started, and have not had any issues.

Considering there is obviously an issue with the pistons in these cars, it seems there will always be a chance for failure. I don't see any reason for the tunes to increase the chance for this to happen, considering how many have run into it without any tuning or mods.

I think the use of 87 octane is a contributing factor in these piston issues. The amount of knock I could HEAR when I picked up my car from the dealer lot was appalling, and detonation like that will hammer even good pistons. If the pistons were 'just substantial enough', then you throw in some heavy detonation, you wind up with damaged pistons. A properly tuned engine with increased power output should not increase the chances of this issue happening, as long as quality fuel is used, at least in my opinion.

Honestly, if I could get my hands on a set of pistons and rods I'd be swapping them tomorrow, as I wouldn't mind leaning on this thing a bit more :)

#630 ·
Is there any solid info from GM about what is causing piston/ring failure? ...... Low quality, sub standard parts? .... Injector issues? ..... Whacked out fuel trims....etc.. Did the earlier versions of this engine have similar failures? Has anyone been able to actually see the failed pieces? I would like to know if this an actual part failure or if the damage is being caused by engine management settings from the factory.??? Thoughts???

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.