High Fuel Consumption
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, High Fuel Consumption in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Just got my Cadillac ATS 2.0T Manual Transmission. The fuel consumption is 13.2L/100KM which is quite high for summer time. ...
    freds63 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Luxury

High Fuel Consumption

Just got my Cadillac ATS 2.0T Manual Transmission. The fuel consumption is 13.2L/100KM which is quite high for summer time. It is higher than my previous Mercedes Benz C300 V6 Manual Transmission. It does not make sense at all. Friend of mine has the exact same car in Automatic and it consumes only 10.2L/100KM.

My dealership doesn't do anything until the 5000KM breaks in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carpenter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS Black Raven 3.6 AWD

Re: High Fuel Consumption

That's just under 18 MPG. Depending on your driving habits that could very well be normal.

ikireland is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T AWD
    Mines 17.2L/km, wish I had your mileage. Over 16,000km and 7,000km of that is highway miles broken in and no better

Dave3283 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS, 2.0t - Performance
    I drive normal 75% of time, mix of hi way (QEW - heavy traffic) and city. Typically getting 9.6 to 10.2....automatic. Just over 30,000 km in 14 months.

transam00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 T

I get 18 mpg. Driving it like a race car . Dont brake for the corners that will help . Lol
    Speedhunter likes this.

rsingl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD

Turbo engines can make a lot of power for their size but even with DI the compression ratio has to be lowered to allow for the higher cylinder pressure that comes with forced induction. This lowered compression ratio reduces efficiency in normal non-boosted operation compared to the same displacement NA engine with a higher compression ratio. Once you make a demand for power fuel consumption goes up in a hurry. Most people, at least during the early stages of ownership, are going to enjoy using the extra power and away goes economical operation.

The EPA test loop driving is far less spirited than that used by the typical owner and the discrepancy between EPA figures and owner experience is greatly accentuated with most forced induction engines. The EPA should probably have the car driven in actual road conditions, once by grandpa and then again by a high school teen. They could report both numbers and let prospective owners decide which more closely represents their driving style.

Hot Rod Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Manual STD

My 2.0t MT gets an avg of 25 mpg with mixed driving. I can get a lot worse if I try! I did get 29 mpg for the first 1000 miles on the return trip home from the dealer. I find the EPA ratings on all of the cars I have owned are almost dead on for the highway. Driving at 60 vs. 75 would have netted over 30 mpg!

I like to do some spirited driving but not all the time. The rest of the time, I have the 'instantaneous' display up. It can help you realize what habits are causing your low mileage. Coasting to a stop or downshifting through the gears as you slow will help. My indication always pegs the guage at 99 mpg for most of the coast down. It's very easy to get bad mileage at low speed if you get in and out of the throttle frequently.
    GJB likes this.

sqkid89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD

Its all in the driving style; I've got a 2.0L Auto and right now I'm seeing 26.5-27 mpg. Yes, its a fun car, but keep your foot out of the long pedal and you'll get better mileage.

Aonarch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T 6MT

As stated it is all driving style. Make sure you are putting in 93/91 octane too, or else it will pull timing and just not run as efficiently.

I get EPA numbers or surpass them depending on how I drive.

Vernon Cooke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    On a recent 350 mile round trip from Portland OR to Bend OR, crossing the Cascade range, average mpg was 33.9 on my 2.5L. This is slightly better than my A4 would get. City mileage at about 22 is slightly less than my A4. I am pleased.

Mrfoxxy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Turbo. Had a 2001 Catera
    I do about 60/40 highway and around town. I average 9.2/ 100Km. And I am a spirited driver

Chadillac76 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T

2014 2.0T
    I am 95% street. I was on the throttle a lot and got 13.5MPG. I tried driving like grandma after resetting the MPG and could only get high 16mpg.

I did a 30 mile freeway run and was able to jump to 30mpg. Can't believe city driving is so low. Granted I only have 1200 miles on the car. I hope it will get better.

Camorri1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadillac76
    2014 2.0T I am 95% street. I was on the throttle a lot and got 13.5MPG. I tried driving like grandma after resetting the MPG and could only get high 16mpg. I did a 30 mile freeway run and was able to jump to 30mpg. Can't believe city driving is so low. Granted I only have 1200 miles on the car. I hope it will get better.
    Also, if you're not already, do the calculations the old fashioned way, by hand. The DIC readout has been a little lower compared to the several times I've calculated mine.

jhatfie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS4 Performance 3.6L, 2014 Jeep GC EcoDiesel

Quote Originally Posted by Camorri1 View Post
    Also, if you're not already, do the calculations the old fashioned way, by hand. The DIC readout has been a little lower compared to the several times I've calculated mine.
    I have noticed this as well. I am only on my third fill up, but every time thus far the car is stating my mpg is less than what I am really getting with the last tank almost 2mpg off reality.

Chadillac76 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T

Will check this next tank, thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.