Traffic haunting?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Traffic haunting? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; My ATS is 13 months old. I cancelled satellite at the 3 month mark. I cancelled OnStar last month and ...
    Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Traffic haunting?

My ATS is 13 months old. I cancelled satellite at the 3 month mark. I cancelled OnStar last month and have their acknowledgement.

This morning, navigation announced a traffic situation change and recommended a new route which I declined mostly because I didn't see how it could know about any traffic situation. A minute later I came up on crawling bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway I was on. It lasted for a few miles which corresponded to where the alternate route would have rejoined the freeway.

So just how did my Nav know about the traffic situation? I hope its not haunted, even if they are helpful ghosts.

Adding to the strangeness is that I never got a traffic alert before. But then again, I don't recall having any traffic delays in the last year+ so that could just be luck. Traffic is pretty good in the Phoenix area other than a little here and there during rush hour and I don't typically drive then anyway.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carpenter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium

Re: Traffic haunting?

The only haunting will be on your credit card
    vwvr6tom likes this.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

the traffic option is separate from onstar. its from XM radio. so if u renewed ur XM, traffic and weather might have been included. u can cancel them separately.

Quote Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
    The only haunting will be on your credit card
    Not possible. Satellite never had a CC number and no charges anyway ever. OnStar acknowledged the service was cancelled last month and also no charges ever and they are a pay in advance service. Plus I didn't think OnStar gave traffic alerts anyway other than maybe when you used OnStar turn by turn and even then it would only make sense if Turn by Turn couldn't access Satellite because otherwise OnStar traffic would be redundant with Satellite traffic and they would steal business from each other.

And I NEVER give a CC to ghosts.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    the traffic option is separate from onstar. its from XM radio. so if u renewed ur XM, traffic and weather might have been included. u can cancel them separately.
    That was my understanding (at least until today), but I never signed up for Satellite after the free trial and they never got a CC from me in the beginning and as stated no billing ever.

I think I read that Satellite isn't encrypted or anything but rather they send "stop working" codes to receivers with expired/cancelled service. And since its a one way communication with no way to confirm and since they don't want to burn bandwidth constantly resending "stop working", I guess its possible they forgot to send one for mine or some glitch kept them from getting thru. But you'd think one "stop" command would get thru within 10 months of the end of service though.

true. do u see traffic flow on ur map still? the green red yellow stuff?

true. do u see traffic flow on ur map still? the green red yellow stuff?
    NEVER saw that. Didn't know if that was because they didn't do the Phoenix area or what. In fact the only hint I EVER had any traffic info until this morning was ONE time in the first two months when I got a warning to get off the free way to avoid an accident scene. It was useless because (1) I didn't get it until I was past the last exit before, and (2) it wasn't even in the direction I was going! I could see the accident on the other side of the median.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    NEVER saw that. Didn't know if that was because they didn't do the Phoenix area or what. In fact the only hint I EVER had any traffic info until this morning was ONE time in the first two months when I got a warning to get off the free way to avoid an accident scene. It was useless because (1) I didn't get it until I was past the last exit before, and (2) it wasn't even in the direction I was going! I could see the accident on the other side of the median.
    lol wow. weird. the one way to verify would b to go to menu from ur map scree, go to traffic. if it lets u access traffic sumbenu, then uh ave the traffic option. and in there u can see if traffic flow is enabled. its pretty useful.

tex2670 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): IS250AWD

My Mazda CX-9 has traffic info which has nothing to do with the Sirius subscription. When I navigate thru the menus, it seems that it's tied to terrestrial radio station traffic reports, because there is an option to change the traffic data source, and all the source are local radio station frequencies (depending on where you are).

Of course, it doesn't work fantastic--but it does have the colored bars along certain routes, as donavo was referring to.

Also, I think I read that the Audi MMI Plus has 3 month free trial of XM Radio, but the free XM Traffic lasts like 3-4 years.

lol wow. weird. the one way to verify would b to go to menu from ur map scree, go to traffic. if it lets u access traffic sumbenu, then uh ave the traffic option. and in there u can see if traffic flow is enabled. its pretty useful.
    Yes, its all there. Of course I haven't gone there for over 9 months. And its practically worthless here (Phoenix) anyway. I just pulled up current traffic events and the ONLY one it has is a single small construction over 50 miles away. And as I mentioned, even during the 3 months Cadillac was paying for traffic, I never saw a single red, yellow or green lane and the only traffic alerts ever were a single WRONG one in the first wto months and the traffic slowdown this morning.

I guess I fell thru the cracks. Either that or they know its so worthless here its not worth the effort to turn it off.

Of course I have no idea if I had traffic for the last 9+ months. I guess it could have just recently turned back on. But as I said, the results are pretty much the same whether on or off, so hard to tell. LoL

I checked weather too. I had moved it to the banished app screen with Pandora and OnStar. That says no subscription available, so it looks like I'm just getting free traffic. Makes me want to move somewhere that has bad traffic.

listrats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD

I have a 2006 MazdaSpeed6 that still has XM on it even though I never activated it after the trial....Were talking back to 2006! Sometimes they just forget. Dish Network forgot to charge me for a year once on an extra package.

Jayceejay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T RWD

Yank the OnStar fuse...removes all doubt!

vwvr6tom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Performance awd 2.0t

I never activated satellite radio on my 2007 GTI, and my signal was never cut off. I traded it on my ATS and told the salesman to give the new owner the good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayceejay View Post
    Yank the OnStar fuse...removes all doubt!
    You do that and you lose all navigation, and all voice commands. I tried. The best part of it was leaving the car with the dealer for 2 weeks and letting them figure out why gps was not working. They never figured it out till I took it back and told them I'll deal with it

wildcATS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

I'm still trying figure out how to program the memory seats, so it's very doubtful I will be able to configure the nav/sat to warn me about traffic snarls before the free trial is over

myATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS LTG 6MT

Remove the onstar module, which I plan on doing when my trial ends.

It is located on the rear deck.
    http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=2568

----------

Not sure if you will lose anything but this guy on youtube said you can seperate the onstar antenna and not get any codes or errors.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAbTy_jFcbc

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.