trs fab catch can question
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, trs fab catch can question in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hello. I know this is a stupid question, but I am going to ask anyway. The drain valve on the ...
    tahawk69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0t awd premium

trs fab catch can question

Hello.
    I know this is a stupid question, but I am going to ask anyway. The drain valve on the catch can is like an air compressor drain valve right? So it is closed when it is backed all the way out and you can see/feel the threads, and it is open when it is screwed all the way up to the can itself? A buddy has the same can and told me right tight lefty loosey, but that doesn't apply to these valves, right? Eitherway, one of us is running with it open all the time. Hopefully it's him.
    On a side note, the quality and fit of this can and intake are amazing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: trs fab catch can question

Here is a link to the picture. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ervzzl54g8...411_160602.jpg
    Do you think the drain is closed or open? I can't belive the varied answers I have gotten from a group of engineer buddies.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

If its open, wouldn't you feel pressure/vaccum if you put your finger over it when the car is running? Or is it in too unsafe a location to check?

I would think the same , but I couldn't feel any suction either way. I had a rx can on a past car and if it looked unscrewed so you could see or feel threads then the drain was closed. I have read that the evacuation vacuum is almost nonexistent when not making boost on this engine.

transam00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 T

OMG . I just installed the same one today and an intake and had the same problem . I put my finger on it and couldn't feel a thing and it was a mother fuxxxxr to turn ad well . There was a couple drops of oil on the turbo inlet and in the intake . I'm happy to say that after 2000miles of HARD driving it's not using any oil .

Thanks for the reply. Did you look at the picture in link? Is the drain valve open or closed? Also, glad it's working for you and no more oil consumption through the intake.

FYI.
    Just got confirmation from the builder.
    The picture shows that the valve is closed, so if you can see / feel threads it is closed. So no righty tighty lefty loosey here. I started doing google searches and was amazed at how many people unknowingly run their cans with the drain open and then complain on various forums about them not working or catching any oil. Just like my buddy who has had his open for 5 or 6k miles and never had a drip of oil in there.
    I recommend this mod to anyone as it is an easy install quality is great and now turbo sound is louder.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.