Glove compartment and CD player
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Glove compartment and CD player in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Question for the hive mind... My 2013 ATS Premium has a CD player in the glove box, which was already ...
    don.davis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance

Glove compartment and CD player

Question for the hive mind...

My 2013 ATS Premium has a CD player in the glove box, which was already small before the CD player took up 1/3 of it.

Do any models NOT have the CD player? I moved from atoms to electrons about 7 years ago and will never use it.

Don

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

andrewv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ats 2.0t awd standard trim
    I think I read somewhere that any model with cue has one? I could be mistaken though

sqkid89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD

Re: Glove compartment and CD player

base CUE didn't have a cd player, CUE w/ navigation did. As much as I'd love to get some space back in the glove box, apparently the CUE won't work without it

don.davis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance

Andrew, that would make sense.

SQKid, I think I'll ask at my first oil change. They can have it back as far as I'm concerned. Surely there must be some kind of terminator connector they can plug in. Sheesh. Thanks for the feedback, I'll let everyone know.

Don

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

For some reason the search function isn’t working for me. However, there was a thread last year that discussed this. One of the dealers was selling cd players for those who didn’t have them and the discussion led to removal as well. As I recall there were two screws to remove and a plug to disconnect. I seem to recall there were problems as sqkid89 mentioned. I think there was also a hole in the back of the glove box to fill. For as easy as it is to remove, it shouldn’t hurt to disconnect it and see if it affects CUE function. Bert

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build Date 12/21/2012

Player comes out easily but as stated CUE will not work. Player must come out to change in cabin air filter. There is a push pin type plastic screw fastener top center of the glove box opening. When you pull that out the shelf the player is screwed to can be slid out. Once out you can disconnect and remove the player from the shelf and put the shelf back in if you like But again CUE powers up but screen stays blank.
    Maxplot likes this.

SCATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS- 2.0T/Man/Base/RWD/CUE/Blk/Blk
    My base car with base CUE HAS A CD player.. Wish it didn't though really.. Bit if conservative thinking on that one .. CUE is likely bought by digital music types .. Mines a heavy boat anchor and glove box eater .. Wish it could just go away

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

The CD player is available as an accessory also and requires programming so the car knows it's there...
    ...so I would assume the CUE isn't working without the CD player because you havne't "un-programmed" the cd player and the system is hung up looking for the cd player and not "failing gracefully"

that said, once you remove it, do you really get that much more space in the glovebox?
    GJB likes this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

sqkid89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    that said, once you remove it, do you really get that much more space in the glovebox?
    Yeah, its pretty useless in there with the cd player.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept
    The CD player is available as an accessory also and requires programming so the car knows it's there... ...so I would assume the CUE isn't working without the CD player because you havne't "un-programmed" the cd player and the system is hung up looking for the cd player and not "failing gracefully" that said, once you remove it, do you really get that much more space in the glovebox?
    Absolutely! There is an entire second tier shelf in the glove box that the CD player takes 3/4 of.. Very useful to place the manuals and paperwork to free up more open storage
    Maxplot likes this.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

I agree I would prefer the CD player removed also because I have only bought 2 cd's in the last 10 years and those instantly went on to a thumb drive.
    Maxplot and don.davis like this.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    once you remove it, do you really get that much more space in the glovebox?
    For me its not the space. Its the weight. The price of an ATS includes a lot of money spent shaving ounces off various parts. Sticking a heavy CD player in that will never be used is nuts. If they think their customers and dealers are too stupid to deal with it as an option, at least make it painless to remove for the vast majority who will never us it.

And in the glove box? Is Cadillac kidding? We have blind spot monitors and bluetooth for hands free calling but have a CD player that requires the driver to practically lay down in the car to change discs while driving?
    don.davis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy
    For me its not the space. Its the weight. The price of an ATS includes a lot of money spent shaving ounces off various parts. Sticking a heavy CD player in that will never be used is nuts. If they think their customers and dealers are too stupid to deal with it as an option, at least make it painless to remove for the vast majority who will never us it. And in the glove box? Is Cadillac kidding? We have blind spot monitors and bluetooth for hands free calling but have a CD player that requires the driver to practically lay down in the car to change discs while driving?
    Right! That was the point of my original post too... I mean all this advanced tech makes the CD player even MORE stark relief!

Last time I carried CDs around in my car was college!

PetrolHead is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 Standard Red Obsession 6MT

I'd love to take mine out too. I don't have navigation, and it was actually a $400 option on my car. I asked to have it removed, but the dealer just knocked the price down instead. I still don't want it though.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

So take out the cd player, have your dealer reprogram CUE and be done with it! Soon it will be eliminated from future models and I guarantee we'll have complaints from posters when they do Glove boxes are a joke with or without the cd player....only made to hold manual and a few papers anyways. The glovebox is really a nusiance more than anything; rely on armrest storage for most everything. Eventually I see glove boxes being eliminated totally.

I for one still use the cd; being an audiophile you'll NEVER beat the sound from a cd as compared with your digitally compressed systems. As a mater of fact, I wished it was a DVD-A system instead. I just wished it held more than a single cd and had a multichanger located in the trunk like it used to.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    For me its not the space. Its the weight. The price of an ATS includes a lot of money spent shaving ounces off various parts. Sticking a heavy CD player in that will never be used is nuts.
    It can't be that much weight...what 4 or 5 pounds max?...that's nothing...Cadillac is adding cooling seat motors and motorize tilt and telescopic steering wheel columns in 2015 models ; weight can't be that big a deal anymore...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.