HID relay buzzing with capacitors after kit install
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, HID relay buzzing with capacitors after kit install in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hey guys, I got the elite 9006 kit from the retrofit source installed in my 2013 ATS luxury. Even with ...
    akriener is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 Luxury AWD

HID relay buzzing with capacitors after kit install

Hey guys, I got the elite 9006 kit from the retrofit source installed in my 2013 ATS luxury. Even with an HD relay and a capacitor on each headlight the relay buzzes almost constantly. The right headlight where the relay is even shut off on me while driving last night. As soon as the light shut off the buzzing stopped. Then today I started my car and no buzzing until I let it sit for a little bit. Any thoughts on what it could be? This also got installed professionally at a shop who installs VVME kits so I highly doubt the workmanship is at fault.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

trimtab81 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.5 Luxury

Re: HID relay buzzing with capacitors after kit install

Sounds to me like a bad relay, but may be a faulty capacitor not supplying smooth power. The buzzing is almost certainly from the relay. I would contact TRS and see what they can do to make it right. The only other thing I would consider is the connection between the battery (or distro post) and the relay. The lights shutting off is a result of the cars computer not being happy with the power draw from the lights and consequently shutting down the curcuit.

deedle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T RWD

If you have any pictures to how they wired everything up that would be great. Did they connect directly to the post or at another source? Could it not be grounded properly?

TRS seems pretty stumped, they want me to tear it apart and test all the stuff but I don't have the tools to do so. I do know the capacitor on the problem side is a VVME one and the other is one from TRS. I would think it wouldn't matter as they are the same connections. I unfortunately do not have pictures but I have a hard time believing they messed it up during the install, though anything is possible. Does anyone know how to disable the DRL's? Is it as easy as pulling a fuse? If the DRL's don't light up fine, I just want to be able to leave my lights on auto. I've heard nothing but positives about the Morimoto kits so I'm not sure if switching kits would help. If the computer isn't happy with the power draw, why wouldn't it kill both lights? Also, TRS told me only one capacitor was necessary but the same thing was happening whether there was one or two in place.

Ok, so from what I can see without getting that plastic cover off, the red circled part is the HD relay... I think. The red plug is the positive, and nothing attached from what I can see popping the red cover off. Is the positive supposed to be the distro post? I can try and get more pics this weekend of the install when I am in a garage.photo.JPG

ThePhantom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS AWD 2.0

Frankly when I first my install it buzzed also. I just let it go, and 3 months later it's still working fine here (although I do have a really really subtle flicker on start).

I highly doubt your light shuts off while driving which is the bigger issue and I assume related

Shooter2384 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury 2.0t AWD
    Where is the capacitor installed? Should be across the coil of the relay (across the factory bulb connector)

I can't see it, haven't gotten the bumper off

I did let the car sit and run tonight with the auto setting, and there is no buzz. Before the capacitors were installed it would buzz at night. So the issue is clearly something with the DRL's.

Without a capacitor I would expect the relays to buzz during DRL operation only, because of the PWM voltage.

There should be no buzzing during normal headlight operation because of the constant 12V.

The capacitor is used to level out the PWM of the DRL, and should be installed across the relay's coil.

Keep in mind the ballasts do make noise as they regulate the current to the HID bulb. Louder at startup and quickly quieting down, but still recognizable.

I understand that. But it is definitely the relay. As I said, I could feel it vibrating and hear it at the shop before he put the bumper back on. If it's not secured properly could that cause the buzz and the computer shutting the light off? If it buzzes during DRL operation, fine. I just don't want to be driving around with one headlight constantly out and I don't want to have to use the stick to disable auto everytime I drive in the day. That's why I got the capacitors.

The unsecured relay should not cause the light to go out.

You said there were two relays in the harness? Can you switch them and see if the issue follows the relay in question?

I can't actually get to it without tearing my bumper off, which makes me kind of nervous. Here are two better views of where the relay is attached to the battery post thing. Since our actual battery is in the trunk Cadillac put this up front for access. Here are two better views with the relay circled in red. The tall metal post on the left is the positive. photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

I can't actually get to it without tearing my bumper off, which makes me kind of nervous. I'm going to try this weekend. Here are two better views of where the relay is attached to the battery post thing. Since our actual battery is in the trunk Cadillac put this up front for access. Here are two better views with the relay circled in red. The tall metal post on the left is the positive. Attachment 195530Attachment 195538

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.